1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I hope Toyota is taking notes...

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dmharvey79, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Sep 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    dmharvey79

dmharvey79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Northern Virginia
    If Toyota isn't planning to incorporate similar technologies and performance into their future trucks they're going to pay for it in sales. This 2.7L EcoBoost engine is very impressive, as is the DGI turbo engine GM developed, and I hope Toyota follows suit at some point.

========================

2.7-liter EcoBoost power

The high-output, twin-turbo 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 features an entirely new design that delivers power and performance in a strong, smart package. The engine produces 325 horsepower and 375 lb.-ft. of torque – improving the power-to-weight ratio of the 2015 truck by 15 percent over the 2014 5.0-liter V8-equipped F-150 with similar torque output, thanks to vehicle light-weighting.

The 2.7-liter EcoBoost 4x2 has a maximum payload rating of 2,250 pounds and maximum tow rating of 8,500 pounds, ideal for meeting mid-range capability needs.

Boosting 2.7-liter EcoBoost fuel efficiency is the debut of standard Auto Start-Stop technology for F-150. This technology, specially tuned for truck customers, shuts off the engine when the vehicle is at a stop. When the brake is released, the engine restarts quickly. Auto Start-Stop helps reduce fuel consumption and emissions when the truck is stopped and the engine is off. The technology is off when towing or in four-wheel-drive mode.

The 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine also features Ford’s first use of a compacted graphite iron cylinder block in a gasoline engine, the same material used in Ford’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke® turbo diesel V8 in Super Duty trucks. The composite CGI/aluminum cylinder block saves weight while providing strength where it’s needed most for durability.

Advanced technology, power and efficiency combine to create an engine for F-150 that boasts more than twice the horsepower, torque and towing capability of the Toyota Tacoma midsize pickup truck with identical displacement 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine.

Ford testing shows the 2.7-liter EcoBoost also outperforming Ram 1500 3.0-liter V6 EcoDiesel and Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3-liter V8 while towing a 7,000-pound enclosed trailer up Davis Dam in Arizona. This is the same grade the Society of Automotive Engineers uses for its J2807 towing testing standards, which the 2015 Ford F-150 will follow.

========================

http://youtu.be/9PcxpS4K_Vo

2. Sep 14, 2014 at 3:33 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Interesting.

3. Sep 14, 2014 at 4:47 AM
    OneMentalCase

OneMentalCase Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite LB
    great...now if they could keep all there stuff from needing mechanics a few times a year...

...just saying

4. Sep 14, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Minor technicality.lol.

5. Sep 14, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    dmharvey79

dmharvey79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Northern Virginia
    I can only assume Toyota has plans to answer back with something when it comes to their engines. Anybody have any insight into projects in the works?

The 3.5L EcoBoost engine I had in my last car was outstanding, and the performance people have gotten out of the 2.0L EcoBoost so far is very impressive. For example, there are guys reliably pushing 600HP in their DDs with bolt-on mods and stock internals.

I'm very interested to see what Toyota's next move is because their current engines are becoming a bit obsolete, even if they are simple/reliable as hell. Not trying to bash Toyota, just tossing out some of the stuff other auto makers are doing.

6. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    RickerRicker19

RickerRicker19 Dirty 3'

Member:
    Hillsdale, MI
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 3rz 5spd
    Snorkel CB Anytime Locker 2" suspension 235/85 tires 2nd Gen 4runner Tire Carrier Custom full length roof rack Sound Proofing Various LED lighting Tundra Brakes LCE Header Diff Breather mods 1st Gen 4runner Roll Bar w/ removable cargo shelf Mostalined body Ditch Lights
    I would say first that all of these new engines ford is producing have yet to make the longevity mark for reliability. Sure they might be powerful but how many will still be on the road 15 years from now?

I am sure toyota has got some ideas but I for one support toyota as they build upon their designs to perfect them rather than try different designs every 5 years or so. Seems that the op used the Ford 2.7L ecoboost so we will compare. How long has that engine design been in place? Less than 5 years. Now let's turn to Toyota. The in line 4 cyl. used in the tacoma/pickup goes back to 1978 with the 20r, then it developed into the 22r, 22-re, 22-rte, 2rz, 2rz-fe, 3rz-fe, 2tr-fe which added vvti to the design. Now if the aftermarket support has shown anything its that the 3rz/2tr love boost and it gains considerably from turbo. Is toyota going to power the new tacoma with a turbo engine?? I have no idea but the option is there for them to add it to the mix.

7. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Come on, be fair here. EVERY manufacturer has their dealership techs busy. Even Toyota. You don't walk into a major Toyota dealership and see their techs sitting around. Frame rust, wheel bearings, diff vibration, driveline vibration..... Toyota has problems as well. Not that I am a Ford fan, mind you. Just saying those who live in glass houses.....

I would be interested in seeing the longevity of these engines. New engines never have real-world high mileage on them to see how well they hold up.

8. Sep 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    THE ECOBOOST FALLS APART AFTER 120,000 MILES....

9. Sep 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    OneMentalCase

OneMentalCase Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite LB

I know the techs are busy with every manufacturer... I can only describe my experiences with the many cars I have owned...
    Jeep Grand Cherokee, bought new, at 4 years and about 36k the rear axle needed work...about $600 from what I remember, (dealer wouldn't help us)
    Ford Expedition (low miles) numerous problems
    Chevy S10...bought new, 2-3 times per year going to dealer
    I owned these cars for many years...the Jeep for 10 years and dealt with fixing it all the time....including 3 of the power windows (only had 50k miles after 10 years!)

Decided to try Toyota...new Camry...very fortunate...no trips to the dealer in 5 years of ownership...made me a big believer in Toyota...only sold it to buy my 2010 Tacoma...again...very fortunate regarding the reliability...going on 5 years...plan to go many, many more...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  10. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    If you want to know what advancements the new Toyota engines will have look at Lexus. I suggest you research the new NX 200t which is the first turbo engine lexus has made. As well as their dual injection and dual VVT which allows the engine to run on two different cycles.

11. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Lexus not Toyota. They have to increase mpg across the entire lineup to meet the new regulations.

12. Sep 18, 2014 at 8:38 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    And I am not doubting you, however I can also introduce you to a guy who has had 2 Toyota vehicles (Truck and car) and they have CONSTANTLY been in the shop since he got them, but he has a Silverado that has over 150K miles on it, and has never been back to the dealer. It's a crap shoot with any vehicle you get.

13. Sep 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  14. Sep 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Exactly. I'm curious as to how Toyota plans to do this, seeing as how we have t really see any news from them on how they plan to comply with the new regs, outside of a possible diesel in the Tundra.

15. Sep 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^CAFE is Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Toyota doesn't have to be as aggressive simply because it sells more 50+ mpg hybrids than anyone else.

Latest "insider" rumor points to the 3.5L 2GR-FE being used in the next Taco. Direct-injection may make the torque curve more truck-friendly compared to existing applications (Venza, old RAV4, etc.).

You think Ford and Chevy don't have those, in addition to general engine and transmission problems? :devil:

I think Ford chose an iron block for good reason - to take high boost pressures. Most likely the core engine will be durable enough, but the turbo, intercooler, tranmission, electronics... At least Ford stopped using those two-piece spark plugs, where the lower piece breaks off in the head...

Products Discussed in

To Top