Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

help with buffing after painting

Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
yowow is on a distinguished road
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
help with buffing after painting

So I bought my Taco. My old car I was going to give to my mother in law. My spouse got a 'wonderful' idea of letting my brother in law to paint it. Now I am stuck with a dull looking car and I need a cheap solution to make it look somewhat decent.

Is there a cheap clear coat buffing polish that I can use to make it look presentable without sanding and using the more expensive buffing compounds?

Knowing my mother in law, something is going to happen to this car in a few years anyway.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a buffer? If it's got clear on it and looks dull with a new paint job, your problem may not even be correctable with a polish. BUT...if you have a buffer (I use a Porter Cable 7424), you can do about 90% as good a job with off-the-shelf polishes as you can with ordering stuff online. Pics would help a ton.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a pic of the hood. Dullest part.

Edit: the paint does have a clear coat on it. Maybe two layers
Attached Thumbnails
help with buffing after painting-1411578199147.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Woah, that looks bad. I don't think you're gonna get very far just buffing that. It looks like it needs a lot of work, including wetsanding and probably re-spraying the clear. Did he do any prep work of any kind??
Old 09-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
He sanded it and taped it. Other then that, nope. I don't think the car was even washed.

I did not say anything. This was my wife's project.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
ouch. I see no future in fixing that paint job. Hate to say but I'd try to live with what ya got or take it to a pro - all depends on how the wife feels.

I'd say have it wrapped but I dunno if it would stay..
Old 09-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Let your wife figure out how to fix it.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Let your wife figure out how to fix it.

And record your telling her this then post it here for us to watch
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
just send it to macco. cheap car paint for a cheap price. dont worry about quality since you said "something is going to happen to the car in a few years anyways"
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I am going to wax it and i will forget about it.

Edit: It's for my mother in law. I let my wife do this against my better judgement. The cost is too much. I cannot afford my tonneau cover for my new truck now, no way I can spend anymore money
Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #11
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post

And record your telling her this then post it here for us to watch
LOL. I would be sleeping on the couch for a week
Old 09-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #12

Just an FYI, you're generally not supposed to wax or seal new paint for a few months in order to allow the paint to fully cure. That being said...I don't think you're going to do any harm to this paint job.

Sorry about your misfortune. It's really frustrating when you know something won't work out, you get overruled, and then it doesn't work out.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
yowow's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info about the wait time for the wax. My wife doesn't want to do anything else. I am happy. Now I can change the oil and put a new belt in it. Maybe the wiper blades too. Then my mother in law will have a decent car to drive. My stress level went down, hehehe.