1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Now THIS is an engine Toyota needs to take notes on

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by dmharvey79, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sep 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM
    dmharvey79

dmharvey79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Northern Virginia
    2.7 Liter V6 Ecoboost Engine

Horsepower:

Torque:
    375 (very low in RPM range)

Max Payload:
    2,250 lbs.

Max Towing:
    8,500 lbs.

MPGs:
    mid-20s with mixed driving / high 20s mixed with planned transmission?

Performance mods:
    A $600.00 canned ECU tune from LMS typically yields around +10% HP and +15% HP for other EcoBoost engines (with no other mods). Perfomance significantly increases with other bolt-on mods...downpipes, exhausts, turbo upgrades, meth injection, etc. I'd estimate this 2.7L engine will be able to reliably put out 400HP/450TQ on stock internals.

I sure hope Toyota takes notice. Even an engine with a portion of those performance/mileage figures would be a huge improvement over Toyota's current engine options. Any word on Toyota stepping up to try and keep pace with other makers when it comes to future engine/transmission improvements?

2. Sep 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    I'll take a N/A Toyota motor that's reliable over a boosted Ford engine.

3. Sep 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    If the engine has a max payload of 2250lbs how does it work when you put it into a truck that weights 5,000lbs?

Hmmm.....................:D

4. Sep 29, 2014 at 12:49 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    this is a v6? i thought the 2.7 was a I4, a little dissapointed. i know they have the 1.6 ecoboost too that puts out some pretty impressive numbers too. boost FTW and tacoma FTW = boosted tacoma FTW

5. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:04 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
  6. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  7. Sep 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Nope, noda, not going to happen. i’d never by a toyota with fords eco boost. i don’t see them using the co boost at all but if they put it in there trucks with no other option i would not buy toyota.

I know several people that have very bad luck with that engine and ford lying and trying to hid the problem and say it’s not happening or it normal.

8. Sep 29, 2014 at 5:49 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    You dont get that performance with that mileage. Its either one or the other. The MPG's Ford displays are best case scenario, ie, not boosting. Imagine driving an F-150 with a 2.7L V-6. That's what it will feel like to maintain those MPG's. If you thought the Tacoma 2.7 was a slug... :rolleyes:

9. Sep 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    What would you say considering the new ram eco boost numbers? Genuine question-no stirring here

10. Sep 30, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    Ive driven the Ecodiesel Ram.

It is very slow, but does get 26mpg (my buddies average currently). Definitely not a performance engine.

11. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:17 AM
    10ptXtreme

10ptXtreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    While the Toyota engine is known for it's reliability, all of you loyalists really need to admit that Toyota is falling behind when it comes to the mpg game. And while some other manufacturers may not be as perfect as you all think they are, they've come along way from being the garbage that they used to be. Because of this, Toyota will lose customers to them. Heck, the only reason I bought my new Tacoma was because they still offer a manual transmission. If the F150 with EcoBoost had a manual, I might have gone that way. It's really time that Toyota and you loyalists get your head out of the sand and make some changes.

David

12. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:38 AM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    It will be the same thing with GM and the new Colorado too. 'Green' V6 that gets like 25 mpg (maybe) with the ability to shut down 3 of the 6 cylinders when your cruising with no wind, just like in the Silverados.

But what they don't tell you is, how good does it still work after 100k miles? I have a buddy at work with a 2010 Silverado he had to have over a grand worth of work down to the engine. Something was wrong with the system that shuts down those cylinders for extra milage, and it was buring oil like crazy.

That's the kind of stuff you deal with 10 years down the road with these crazy fuel saving gimmiks. Lord only knows what will happen to this Ecoboost. Remember when they tried to put the turbo-boost Power stroke in the Ford Excursion about 10 years ago? They failed and had to buy them back under state lemon laws.

http://www.autotrend.activeboard.co...dealer-techs-were-un/?page=1#comment-26023097

Keep on reading your spec sheets and fancy manufacturer brochures about 325 hp AND 25 mpg. I'll take my 'outdated' 4.0 and loose a couple MPG today and STILL have it be reliable 10 years from now.

13. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:43 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    For those saying you EITHER get good MPG's or power, not both, you're correct. But that's a fairly blanket statement for ALL engines. Under load, your injectors are spraying more fuel into the engine. This is a no brainer.

If you understand how a forced induction engine works you'd realize that more AIR means more FUEL so as to maintain a proper A/F ratio. The benefit of having a turbocharged engine is that it's power when you need it and MPG when you don't. If you don't have your right foot stuck in it then the turbo doesn't make boost and you essentially run in vacuum the whole time. This means the engine runs like a normal, smaller, NA engine while cruising. This is why my modified twin turbo RX7 gets 10 MPG when I'm fucking around but I get 25mpg average on highway driving (so long as I'm not acting like an asshat).

So if you look at the market as a whole. I'd say that MAYBE 1% of truck buyers actually tow daily. And if you do, buy a larger diesel and be done with it. But for the other 99% of buyers they don't care if they get shit gas mileage for 1-2 trips a year when they tow the boat/jet skis to and from the lake. Even if it gets 12mpg towing, the cumulative savings on gas that's realized when driving EVERY OTHER FREAKING DAY is significantly more important. If I put 15,000 miles a year on my truck and I tow for 200 miles....I know where my money should be. Do you?

14. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    10ptXtreme

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Care to explain why you can't have new technology and reliability? I'm sure you were the same guy that complained when fuel injection came out and stated that we should stay carbureted forever. And look at it now, it provides for a higher reliability source of fuel with much improved fuel economy. The references you gave were simply those where the manufacturers didn't due their due diligence with regards to the technology. Sort of how Toyota has had problems with their frames and suspension.

David

15. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:52 AM
    10ptXtreme

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Ding ding ding... here's a guy that gets it. You sir are a WINNER! :cheers:

David

16. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    It's a pretty impressive engine. There was a review done recently from someone who towed a 7,000 lb Airstream with it and he said it towed better than his Hemi Durango. Obviously we don't know about reliability yet, but from a pure spec standpoint, it's a pretty nice package.

17. Sep 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    ecoboost has been out for a while now ford taurus 3.5 ecoboost. looks like there going strong 180,000 miles on them, also used in police cars. toyota cant build a frame to last 100,000 miles.

18. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Your theory is correct, but from what I hear from actual F150 owners, not boards and threads, the 3.5 spends most of its time in the boost, even when running in light daily driving mode. As such, its actual mpg numbers equate more to v8 mpg in a truck of that size. I hear alot of the same things from actual owners of Silverado's with the cylinder deactivation, it's such a small percentage of drive time that it's irrelevant for their actual use.

Smaller displacement turbo'd engines and cylinder deactivation seem to add to EPA generated mpgs, but not real world mpgs. The optimum case is just to small...

19. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    10ptXtreme

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    If that's the case, it sounds like the EcoBoost's CPU needs to be tweaked a bit and it'll still work just fine. Not a major deal IMO.

David

20. Sep 30, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I agree with that but not for the reason you might think.

The issue is typically the driver in most (if not all) cases. Take our trucks for example. If you drive like you want decent fuel economy you can get 22-24mpg even on the 4.0 V6. But if you speed up from stops quickly, hit the brakes often, can't modulate the throttle to save your life, you'll end up getting shitty mileage.

On a turbo car this is even more important. As much as the fuel demands for an NA car increase with throttle increase, a boosted engine is even more so. Once that turbo spools you're using a ton of fuel.

As for Ford and it's 3.5 I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a slightly longer final gear used for cruising to keep it out of boost. Either that or some ECU trickery to keep the turbo from spooling so low.....which sounds absolutely sinful coming from my typical point of view which is sports cars lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top