1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used Hybrid Question .. Prius vs. Insight

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Fightnfire, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Several years ago, Toyota built a concept pickup called the A-Bat. It was a hybrid, unibody pickup based on the Camry platform, but it used the Prius engine. Was ugly as heck, but I was hoping they would build it. Honestly, it would fit my needs about 95% of the time.

2. Oct 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    What about a newer Jetta sportwagon TDI? You'll get 50mpg on the freeway...maybe they can be had cheaper? I'm not a vw fan but it's an option beyond hybrids. I had a Prius and it was a good car. Tons of room, okay mileage (not anywhere near what they say it'll get) boring as hell to drive.

3. Oct 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    According to just about every site I've looked on VW products are rated poorly, compared to Toyota/Honda, for used cars. The Jetta TDI is rated at 30-42mpg. Good, but again not good enough to consider IMO. (There are a few that have the Jetta above the Insight)

You're the first person I've seen say "okay mileage (not anywhere near what they say it'll get)" Most people I talk to say they get more than the advertised 42 hwy with the 2008-9 Prius. Fuelly lists the average for the Prius as 45-48. The TDI on Fuelly is 38-40, which is good but well short of what I am expecting. The Insight is also around 45 on Fuelly. I do know you can drive any car hard and kill MPG. I can drive hard but I also can save fuel when needed as evidenced by the lifetime average MPG of my truck, mid 19's leveled with bigger tires and a softopper. Lots of people getting 15-16 in that same setup. A 3 MPG spread in our truck is easily a 7+ MPG spread in a hybrid.

I'm not opposed to VW, just as a used car in this situation. If the MPG numbers were even, I'd look harder at them. I've made a decision to park my truck and get a vehicle to same gas and money. I want to make that decision worth it by maxing MPG.

4. Oct 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    Well, I had an 06 and regularly saw 38-40. I think toyota and Honda are better cars but for the right price a good modern diesel car may be a good alternative.

5. Oct 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm really hoping to talk to a couple of people who own an Insight. I appreciate the comments.

6. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Another thing to consider about the Jetta TDI is that diesel costs anywhere from 20 to 50 cents more per gallon than gasoline, which would make them a less attractive option. I have a couple of different friends that drive TDI Jettas. I really enjoyed driving the one that had the 6 speed manual. Fun little car. But both cars have some reliability issues.

As far as real world mileage compared to EPA rating, both of my hybrids have been right on the advertised figures. And finally, does anyone pick an Insight over a Prius because it's cooler?

7. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Not sure if serious, but it's almost the only reason I'm leaning Insight. MPG's are similar, styling on the outside is similar but the EX, loaded, Insight has some exterior tweaks that look nice plus the inside is way nicer than the prius. I sat in an Insight today for the first time ... I see why motortrend and several others sites say it's a much funner drive than the prius.

8. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    If the insights back end is anything like my civic.....you cant see jack squat when backing up.

As far as hybrids go, are you driving mostly highway miles? hybrids only get minimal hwy mpg improvements over normal engines. city driving is where hybrids shine.

9. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:19 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    It's all highway miles yes but most of that, or 50%-66% is stop and go. People who do a similar commute to me in both the Prius and the Insight are seeing 45-50mpg. Yea, view out of the back is terrible on both the Prius and the Insight. They both have nice backup cameras tho that include proximity lines that work well.

10. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    I like the interior of hondas a lot more....well at least I fit into hondas much better. Toyotas cars have a low a pillar, which i routinely hit my head on getting in and out (im 6'2).

If you go with the honda the digital speedo will make you lazy :p

I see about 44 in my lx civic as far as highway, but stop and go...lets not go to those mpg....I think in 2011 (or maybe 2012) honda started using cheap feeling dash plastic. thats my only real gripe against them. either way they both are awesome cars.

I would probably go with Honda for cars though, just cause I feel like I fit better, and I see far more priuses than insights.

11. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yea, I was going Prius all the way until I saw the inside of the Insight, and then sat in one. I'm about the same size and like it a lot better. Another big plus is the gas pedal leg space.. the Prius has a tall center console that my leg rests against .. the Insight console is low so my knee can go over it. Big comfort plus.

12. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    The comment about picking one hybrid over another because it's cooler was an attempt at humor. I admit I have no experience driving an Insight, but I like Hondas. Drove an 08 Fit Sport for 4 years. Fun little car. I'm an avid reader of many different automotive mags, so most of what I share comes from the experiences of various writers. And honestly, I haven't read much about the Insight (or the CRZ or the Civic Hybrid) since it (or they) were introduced.

Don't know sales numbers of either vehicle, and for all I know popularity of both cars might very well be regional. In central Texas Priuses and Camry Hybrids are everywhere. I would estimate that the outnumber their Honda counterparts by a margin of 20 to 1.

13. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    It's like that all over, Honda just pulled the plug on the Insight because they can't compete with the Prius in sales. Which is a shame because the Insight is the cheaper hybrid technology that gets similar MPG's. Rumor has it they are going to introduce the Honda Fit Hybrid, or something like it with an all new system that will be the closest yet to fun to drive and efficient.

14. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Hey, is that a play on words, "pull the plug on the Insight"? I wondered if that might be the case. The new Fit is supposed to be available as a true electric, if I'm not mistaken. I don't remember if they're going to make a hybrid. There are times that I sure miss my mind.

15. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    :D

16. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the tips all!

[​IMG]

17. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    zilla805

zilla805 Weekend warrior

Member:
    San luis obospo
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
  18. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    FrankNasti

FrankNasti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Anywhere the Army tells my wife to go.
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Forester
    The toddler and baby seat mod.
    It appears I got here too late. I've had an Insight for 5 years (2010 model) and I can tell you that you've made a HUGE mistake. Unlike the Prius, the Insight has sport mode with paddle shifters! Other than that, it comes down to personal preference. We bought it because we liked the way the Insight was set up more like a traditional car. The downside with the Insight is the auto stop feature also turns off the AC which sucks in Texas summers, springs, falls, and sometimes winters. It's been to the East coast and back many times. 80,000 miles and its only needed routine maintenance. Hope you enjoy your Prius and the money saved.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  19. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    I almost chose the Insight because of the things you mentioned: sport mode, paddle shifters, slightly nicer inside and it is set up more like a traditional car. However, the reliability ratings especially on the 2010 model plummet really bad. The Prius tops all the charts for used cars, the Insight doesn't show up. That really worried me.

Also, tho you can drive it a little more aggressively ... it is less HP by a lot and slower to 0-60 etc. I knew that if I had the paddle shifters etc. I would probably want to drive it more aggressively and kill the MPG. It really plummets when you start flooring it.

The inside of the Insight is really cool looking tho, overall it's the nicer looking vehicle.

I hope you continue to have great luck with yours!

20. Oct 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    I'm curious what that means?

Products Discussed in

To Top