Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Replaced a CV/ brake caliper in my Civic... question...

Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #1
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Replaced a CV/ brake caliper in my Civic... question...

I just replaced a CV axle that was shot in my 93 civic ex. Low and behold I found my brake caliper was seized at the same time. Anyways, after dealing with VatoZone and Retard Auto Parts (advance) over a couple days... I got them replaced. Hey no problems, drove like a champ, bled the front brakes real good so all seems good. EXCEPT:

For some reason, when I'm turning (front or reverse) at full lock, I'm getting a light rubbing/grinding sound. It honestly feels like tire rub, but it all looks good underneath, and I really haven't messed with anything else than the axle and caliper. I only popped the lower ball joint and forks to push the hub outta the way for axle removal.

Could this be the sound of a bad axle maybe? Its not the tell-tale click sound so that's why I'm confused, but it drives fine. Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
How are the bearings?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
How are the bearings?
Well isn't the hub and bearing assembly one whole unit? You can't actually pull that apart to repack them right? When I spun everything while working on the brakes it all seemed okay, no noticable resistance or sounds. I'm not going to rule this out by any means, but its not the answer I wanted I'm really beginning to hate Hondas. I need to get rid of this thing ASAP. Just wanted to have it ready to go. Its not registered here in MA, but I think regardless all vehicles have to be able to pass MA inspection or they can't be sold for more than 600 bucks. Thing runs like a champ otherwise at 250k miles.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangp View Post
Well isn't the hub and bearing assembly one whole unit? You can't actually pull that apart to repack them right? When I spun everything while working on the brakes it all seemed okay, no noticable resistance or sounds. I'm not going to rule this out by any means, but its not the answer I wanted I'm really beginning to hate Hondas. I need to get rid of this thing ASAP. Just wanted to have it ready to go. Its not registered here in MA, but I think regardless all vehicles have to be able to pass MA inspection or they can't be sold for more than 600 bucks. Thing runs like a champ otherwise at 250k miles.
Yeah, its one unit, but it doesnt mean they cant go bad...Im just trying to throw some ideas out there.......Not sure what it would be rubbing on. Have you tried to identify where it may be rubbing? Look for signs on the tire, or anything else.......
Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I've looked, with wheel turned each direction, nothing obvious. I don't know, I'll figure it out eventually.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
deadazleep is on a distinguished road
deadazleep's Tacoma Gallery
wow small world i have a 93 Si, there is a bearing that can be replaced in the spindle, ask how i know haha. If it was a bearing you could jack that wheel off the ground and grab the top and bottom of the wheel and pull it from top then bottom. If it rocks bearing is bad. Check the boots for grease coming out either where they meet the axle shaft or a tiny pin hole. But if its a constant rubbing i'ld bet it was the wheel well lining hitting the tire, my 99 use to eat them up when it was lowered