1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pontiac To CLOSE!

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ccoorreeyy, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Apr 25, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy [OP] www.EvolvedFinance.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 Debadged
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    Here's that story. It's a sad day. They've made some awesome classic cars. Monday's the actually decision. I guess GM has to start somewhere. :(

NPR.org, April 24, 2009 ·

The struggling automaker General Motors is expected to eliminate its iconic Pontiac brand, NPR has learned.

An official announcement could come as early as Monday, according to NPR's Frank Langfitt.

"This is the end of a famous car name," Langfitt said on Friday's All Things Considered. "But for anyone who has been following Pontiac, it's not a surprise at all."

GM is living on more than $15 billion in government loans and faces a June 1 deadline to cut its debt, reduce labor costs and take other restructuring steps. If it doesn't meet the deadline, the company's CEO has said it will enter Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The move follows GM's decision to shed other brands, including Saturn and the Hummer line of sport-utility vehicles.

GM knows it has "too many brands and too many models," Langfitt says.
    GM said Thursday it will temporarily close 13 assembly plants in the U.S. and Mexico — some for more than two months — laying off nearly 24,000 workers to pare back a bloated inventory.

"In the days and weeks ahead we may hear about some permanent closings," Langfitt says.

The announced closures, which will start in May, vary by factory from as short as three weeks to a long as 11, including the normal two-week July shutdown to change from one model year to the next.

GM said the shutdowns will help control high dealer inventories and bring manufacturing in line with sales. The company plans to cut production by 190,000 vehicles and reduce inventory from the current 767,000 to 525,000 by the end of July.

As for Pontiac, about 40 dealers who sell the brand exclusively will be hit hard by the news, Langfitt says. More than 1,000 dealers sell Pontiac along with other brands.

In eliminating Pontiac, GM is closing out a famous muscle-car brand memorialized in at least one rock song and in films such as Smokey and the Bandit.

Langfitt says dealers were told as recently as two weeks ago that Buick and the GMC truck line will survive.

Meanwhile, the summer plant closings will affect about 24,000 hourly and salaried employees at the affected assembly plants, but there will be thousands more layoffs and temporary factory closures when GM works out its schedules for engine, transmission and parts stamping factories.
    The troubled automaker has 22 assembly plants in North America as well as dozens of other parts and powertrain factories.

Laid-off hourly workers will get unemployment benefits and supplemental pay from the company that amounts to most of their base wages. Salaried workers also will get some income, GM North America President Troy Clarke said Thursday in a conference call with reporters.

From NPR reports and The Associated Press

2. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    Anyone thats ever seen one of these should have known it was bound to happen

[​IMG]

3. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

4. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Wow thats a funny vehicle? lol

5. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's

How the mighty have fallen :(

6. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Makes me wish I had held on to my '78 Trans Am. :(

7. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Me too. I can't remember the last good Pontiac. Probably before I was born.

8. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    man,that sucks for the people who still own them tho. parts are going to be a bitch to pay for.

9. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    This doesn't make me sad at all. They used to make some pretty bad-ass cars, but who is going to miss the Vibe (actually made by Toyota), Azteca, G6, etc?

I suspect that they will continue to produce replacement parts for some time to come. They might get more expensive eventually, though.

10. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    For Sure! I would kill someone if Toyota went out of business, but I don't think that will ever happen. They actually make cars and trucks that look good unlike Pontiac. :D

11. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah did yall know that the matrix and vibe are virtually the same cars? just with different badges on them.

12. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    Haha. I remember that! Nasty!!! I think I remember reading somewhere that this SUV was one of the biggest flops in car making history. It might have been a special on some tv show, actually. No wonder they're going under and no one wants to but their cars.

13. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    PS - Go Longhorns! I'm a wanna be fan. My whole family lives in Texas and that was pretty much the topic of my childhood. "Did ja see that game with Texas A&M and the Longhorns?! The Longhorns kick their ass!"

Good times.

14. Apr 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    ccoorreeyy

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    Really!? Now that I think about it, I believe it. Weird. I wonder who copied who...:notsure:

15. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    They need to get rid of Buick, Saturn, and another bad brand . Then they will be doing just fine.

There is so much History for Hummer and Pontiac..... They can't just give it away

16. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Toyota makes cars and trucks that they know consumers will LIKE and BUY.. Unlike the Big 3 that just throw out the line (lots and lots of cars and trucks) and hope that a fish will bite.

17. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:26 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    Nothing like a bunch of tax payer money down the drain. Should have never giving them anyways. what little they got was never going to hold them above water. Give us money so they dont cut jobs. Boy i guess a lot of people are eating there words now. Yes im sorry its going to effect a lot of people but im getting tired of the gov putting me into debt and then still not fixing the problem. They should have just failed or chapter 11 and saved my some tax money.

And that goes for both sides of the gov. Bush and Obama

18. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm sure they'll be even more prized collectors items now and become even more valuable.

19. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Pontiac gone? Who gives a frac? They made BUTT UGLY cars consumed by fake cladding and funky dials. In fact, until 2 years ago, I would have rated Pontiac the most butt ugly cars made in America. FAIL.

20. Apr 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Yeah.. My brother-in-law has a Vibe. I had to move it one day and noticed everything in it looked like a Toyota. I popped the hood and everything under there looked like Toyota. I went online and low and behold, it IS a Toyota. Who woulda thunk it? I guess there was a quality Pontiac afterall.

Products Discussed in

To Top