Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Just my luck....Never trust the foil seal.....

Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just my luck....Never trust the foil seal.....

I gonna be sick....

I had a new bottle of Techron laying in my front seat. I put it there to remind me to put it in the tank when I filled it up the next time.

The interior started smelling like heavy duty cleaner which didn't seem all that ODD because my husband and I had washed the engine that very same day I started getting the smell.

A couple days later, smell was still there - I disovered.....oh gawd... the Techron had leaked. The foil seal on the bottle - NOT sealed. I lost 1/2 bottle of Techron ($$$) and it leaked in & around the crease between the upper & lower seat halves, in the foam, and on that clothe sheathing (??).

I removed seat covers - they're washable. Soaking the shit outta the affected areas with a couple different carpet cleaners. Figuring, I'd rather it smell like carpet cleaner than the original smell. Adding water and hoping I can blot it up with a towel. There's no way in hell I can get this all out and its gonna continue to smell. I don't even know if it'll ever 'air out'.

You jump through hoops to keep your baby clean & prestine ..... one little 'unpredictable' thing bites you in the ass.

Any thoughts?
Ya think it'll eventually air out? God I hope so....
Old 04-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i think eventually it will..That just teaches ya a lesson not to leave anything on your seat..I learned mine the hard way. Thats why I got husky floor mats, and leave anything thats going to potentially spill or leak, on the floor mat.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks. Did you take the seat out of the truck? I wonder if you can have the seat restored at an upholstery shop?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
That sucks. Did you take the seat out of the truck? I wonder if you can have the seat restored at an upholstery shop?
No, not yet.

The carpet cleaner didn't do anything. The seat is still 'discolored' from the techron still being in the clothe. I might try a few more cleaning agents (just not sure what yet). Gotta be careful not to discolor the seat.

My husband said we should take the seat skins off and have them cleaned. I remember what a PITA it was to remove them to install the heated seats on my driver seat....all those hog rings aren't fun to remove.

I wonder if an upholstery shop does any sort of steam cleaning? Or if there's such a thing as portable steam cleaners?

Right now, if I could get it out of my seat skins - I'd be happy. I can live with the smell until it fades or airs out of the foam and everywhere else.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder if Desiccant would help any.

found this too:

Things Required
  • Talcum Powder (or Cornstarch)
  • Liquid Detergent (or Dish Detergent)
Directions
  • To begin with, take the affected garment/ fabric and spread it on a flat surface with the oil based stain facing upside.
  • Now, sprinkle good amount of talcum powder or cornstarch over the stain.
  • Allow the powder to rest there for some hours or even overnight.
  • After the due time, brush off the excess powder.
  • In case you find oily powder residue on the fabric, rub it off and pour the powder once again and let the fabric to rest.
  • Once you’ve finished this, wash or dry clean your fabric as you always do.
  • After washing, examine the spot sooner than placing the garment in the dryer.
  • In case the oil spot is still present, you can rub alcohol over it to get your clothes all new again. Remember that alcohol can also lift the color, so it’s better to test it in an inconspicuous spot before using.
Tips
  • This method can be used on any and every type of fabric.
  • Warm or hot water is always preferable for washing such fabric.
  • Ensure you scrape off all powder from the fabric before dry cleaning.
  • Dish detergent can be utilized for washing since molecules in such liquids are prepared to trap oil.
  • The earlier you deal with an oil stain; the better would be the outcome.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Prayers for Bill and Michelle
trcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant future

trcksr4grls's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to trcksr4grls
My ex work in an uphostery shop and I know when it is a bad spill, take the seat out. Use a decent brush. Some regular blue dawn detergent and hot water and go to town on the seat. Not to much detergent tho. Rinse it with some water and let it sit out in the sun. Try to towel dry underneath as much as possible and keep checking the bottom for water on the rails, (don't want rust). Every so often flip the seat over to help it dry or even help it along with a blow dryer or a heat fan. A lot of work, but worth it...
Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It's been a while.... been busy and just wasn't able to get to it.

I washed my seat covers in the washing machine (front loader) and sprayed them down with Spray-n-wash MAX (with Resolve). I ran them through once and the stains were almost completely gone. I ran them through the washer again and the stains were gone.

So.....I thought, since that stuff worked on the seat covers, I sprayed a good amount of it on my seats and rubbed it down good. I also blotted it with water, etc. It's been about 3 days - as I've waited for it to dry.

The stains are all but gone completely. Only very faint areas that nobody else would notice but me..... So I'll probably go over these areas again.

No more smell either!! Phew!!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Contact the makers of the product, maybe just maybe they will step up.
After all it was a mfg. defect that caused the problem.
Good luck with that one.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
I smell corn
kilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilted1117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gophuk Yousef
kilted1117's Tacoma Gallery
I had a half gallon of milk spill out on the passenger seat/carpet last summer....even after I tore out the seat and cleaned under the carpet I swear that I could still smell it for about a month. It was August and about 90 the whole month. I left the windows cracked at night to try to get the smell out but it only let the spiders in. Every morning my truck was filled with webs. That sucked.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I gonna be sick....

I had a new bottle of Techron laying in my front seat. I put it there to remind me to put it in the tank when I filled it up the next time.

The interior started smelling like heavy duty cleaner which didn't seem all that ODD because my husband and I had washed the engine that very same day I started getting the smell.

A couple days later, smell was still there - I disovered.....oh gawd... the Techron had leaked. The foil seal on the bottle - NOT sealed. I lost 1/2 bottle of Techron ($$$) and it leaked in & around the crease between the upper & lower seat halves, in the foam, and on that clothe sheathing (??).

I removed seat covers - they're washable. Soaking the shit outta the affected areas with a couple different carpet cleaners. Figuring, I'd rather it smell like carpet cleaner than the original smell. Adding water and hoping I can blot it up with a towel. There's no way in hell I can get this all out and its gonna continue to smell. I don't even know if it'll ever 'air out'.

You jump through hoops to keep your baby clean & prestine ..... one little 'unpredictable' thing bites you in the ass.

Any thoughts?
Ya think it'll eventually air out? God I hope so....
I suggest Dawn Detergent.