1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just my luck....Never trust the foil seal.....

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Janster, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Apr 26, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I gonna be sick....

I had a new bottle of Techron laying in my front seat. I put it there to remind me to put it in the tank when I filled it up the next time.

The interior started smelling like heavy duty cleaner which didn't seem all that ODD because my husband and I had washed the engine that very same day I started getting the smell.

A couple days later, smell was still there - I disovered.....oh gawd... the Techron had leaked. The foil seal on the bottle - NOT sealed. I lost 1/2 bottle of Techron ($$$) and it leaked in & around the crease between the upper & lower seat halves, in the foam, and on that clothe sheathing (??).

I removed seat covers - they're washable. Soaking the shit outta the affected areas with a couple different carpet cleaners. Figuring, I'd rather it smell like carpet cleaner than the original smell. Adding water and hoping I can blot it up with a towel. There's no way in hell I can get this all out and its gonna continue to smell. I don't even know if it'll ever 'air out'.

You jump through hoops to keep your baby clean & prestine ..... one little 'unpredictable' thing bites you in the ass. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?
    Ya think it'll eventually air out? God I hope so....

2. Apr 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i think eventually it will..That just teaches ya a lesson not to leave anything on your seat..I learned mine the hard way. Thats why I got husky floor mats, and leave anything thats going to potentially spill or leak, on the floor mat.

3. Apr 26, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    That sucks. Did you take the seat out of the truck? I wonder if you can have the seat restored at an upholstery shop?

4. Apr 26, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    No, not yet.

The carpet cleaner didn't do anything. The seat is still 'discolored' from the techron still being in the clothe. I might try a few more cleaning agents (just not sure what yet). Gotta be careful not to discolor the seat.

My husband said we should take the seat skins off and have them cleaned. :eek: I remember what a PITA it was to remove them to install the heated seats on my driver seat....all those hog rings aren't fun to remove.

I wonder if an upholstery shop does any sort of steam cleaning? Or if there's such a thing as portable steam cleaners?

Right now, if I could get it out of my seat skins - I'd be happy. I can live with the smell until it fades or airs out of the foam and everywhere else.

5. Apr 26, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    Wonder if Desiccant would help any.

found this too:

Things Required
    • Talcum Powder (or Cornstarch)
    • Liquid Detergent (or Dish Detergent)
    Directions
    • To begin with, take the affected garment/ fabric and spread it on a flat surface with the oil based stain facing upside.
    • Now, sprinkle good amount of talcum powder or cornstarch over the stain.
    • Allow the powder to rest there for some hours or even overnight.
    • After the due time, brush off the excess powder.
    • In case you find oily powder residue on the fabric, rub it off and pour the powder once again and let the fabric to rest.
    • Once you’ve finished this, wash or dry clean your fabric as you always do.
    • After washing, examine the spot sooner than placing the garment in the dryer.
    • In case the oil spot is still present, you can rub alcohol over it to get your clothes all new again. Remember that alcohol can also lift the color, so it’s better to test it in an inconspicuous spot before using.
    Tips
    • This method can be used on any and every type of fabric.
    • Warm or hot water is always preferable for washing such fabric.
    • Ensure you scrape off all powder from the fabric before dry cleaning.
    • Dish detergent can be utilized for washing since molecules in such liquids are prepared to trap oil.
    • The earlier you deal with an oil stain; the better would be the outcome.

6. Apr 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    trcksr4grls

trcksr4grls Prayers for Bill and Michelle

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 08 Super White Prerunner
    My ex work in an uphostery shop and I know when it is a bad spill, take the seat out. Use a decent brush. Some regular blue dawn detergent and hot water and go to town on the seat. Not to much detergent tho. Rinse it with some water and let it sit out in the sun. Try to towel dry underneath as much as possible and keep checking the bottom for water on the rails, (don't want rust). Every so often flip the seat over to help it dry or even help it along with a blow dryer or a heat fan. A lot of work, but worth it...

7. May 8, 2009 at 4:26 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    It's been a while.... been busy and just wasn't able to get to it.

I washed my seat covers in the washing machine (front loader) and sprayed them down with Spray-n-wash MAX (with Resolve). I ran them through once and the stains were almost completely gone. I ran them through the washer again and the stains were gone.

So.....I thought, since that stuff worked on the seat covers, I sprayed a good amount of it on my seats and rubbed it down good. I also blotted it with water, etc. It's been about 3 days - as I've waited for it to dry.

The stains are all but gone completely. Only very faint areas that nobody else would notice but me..... So I'll probably go over these areas again.

No more smell either!! Phew!!

8. May 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Contact the makers of the product, maybe just maybe they will step up.
    After all it was a mfg. defect that caused the problem.

9. May 8, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Good luck with that one.:eek:

10. May 8, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    kilted1117

kilted1117 I smell corn

Member:
    First Name:
    Gophuk Yousef
    Valparaiso, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5 4dr Magnetic Grey
    Zippo.
    I had a half gallon of milk spill out on the passenger seat/carpet last summer....even after I tore out the seat and cleaned under the carpet I swear that I could still smell it for about a month. It was August and about 90 the whole month. I left the windows cracked at night to try to get the smell out but it only let the spiders in. Every morning my truck was filled with webs. That sucked.:mad:

11. May 8, 2009 at 7:09 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I suggest Dawn Detergent.

Products Discussed in