1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weakest excuse for an additional vehicle

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by HaveTwo, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Nov 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    HaveTwo

HaveTwo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma access cab, long bed, 4X4 off road
    Tool box, dirt and grime.
    Just thought I'd see how many sad excuses people have told themselves to justify a purchase?

I'm not going to count my several motorcycles, as despite riding them for a few years without a cage. Those are to keep me away from the therapist!

I recently moved, and looked for a camper shell for my Tacoma. I was promptly horrified by the cost of them, and just threw some big things that could be chained and locked.

I get to my new base, and a coworker was moving, and looking to sell his f150 before the move. I told him I was not interested in another gas hog, there was no way I'd buy it.

He told me camper shell, standard cab, i6 engine, manual transmission, 8 foot bed. So seeing as I had passed on an expensive shell, I bought the truck to have an enclosed bed. :cool:

Reminded me just how expensive cheap vehicles get though... And I need to find a good forum for that truck...

2. Nov 28, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    My wife reminds me that I've had 31 vehicles in my life so far, so it's not so easy.
    The last one was legit. I fell out of the bed of my Tacoma and tore my ACL. Can't drive a 6 speed for quite a while, better get an auto. That was a medium-strong excuse.

Weak? I've traded several because I didn't want to buy 1k worth of new tires....

3. Nov 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM
    JustPassinThru

JustPassinThru Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can't think of the excuses.

The driving force is, "I WANT!!"

Been there, done that. Still in its sway...with a brand-new 2015 Tacoma in the driveway.

4. Nov 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    Weak ? I would have a vehicle for 2 years get about 25,000 miles then i would trade it in for another one at the next oil change.

5. Nov 29, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I currently have 7 vehicles, and 2 ATV's. There's no excuse for me, I love cars and trucks and have the ability to keep with me and stored. I just have to manage which ones are insured at different times of the year. Right now, the only 2 that are insured are the Tacoma and the Powerstroke, the others are all parked for the winter and or not running. The 72 Bronco is a convertible so I only drive it in the summer, the 78 Bronco needs quite a bit of drivetrain work, but I plan to drive it a lot more hopefully by next winter. I need to go through the steering and rebuild what is needed, replace all the drivelines, service the transmission, wheel bearings and ball joints too, and put new tires on it. The 1985 Chevy hates the cold and refuses to run at any temperature below 25 degrees, so I just park it for the winter and drive it in the summer, gas is most expensive during the summer so that works out perfect. The diesel stays insured year round because I never know when I will need to use it, but it stays parked unless it is needed.

Vehicles:
    2004 Tacoma (daily driver)
    1997 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke (heavy hauler, work truck)
    1985 Chevrolet Citation II (gas saver, summer car)
    1978 Ford Bronco (inherited from my grandfather when he passed)
    1972 Ford Bronco (inherited from my father when he passed)
    1969 Mustang Mach 1 project (not running, inherited from my father when he passed)
    1955 Cadillac Coupe DeVille field car (all complete, not running but is up for sale)

ATV's:
    2013 Honda 400X
    2003 Yamaha Banshee
    Both for fun and play.

Yes, I have more vehicles than I probably need, especially being 21 (22 tomorrow), but my Dad didn't raise no fool. I know how to manage my money and be able to keep everything in order so I can continue to enjoy the cars I have. It drives his sister (my aunt, who comes from a strictly 2 car home) completely insane, but she doesn't understand who I am. My Dad at one time had 20 something vehicles, I grew up in that environment so it just naturally rubbed off on me. It's not like I go out and recklessly spend money on all these things, I only spend money where it is needed and do many of my repairs and all maintenance myself.

6. Nov 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    jmaack

jmaack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Helena Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Skewped hood silver 4runner
    Ome, Sqeak free dakars, arms, skids, sliders.
    I have 3 cars now.plus my wifes. One never gets driven. It's a waste to have more unless it gets driven equally.

7. Nov 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    HaveTwo

HaveTwo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma access cab, long bed, 4X4 off road
    Tool box, dirt and grime.
    I do have to point out to some folks that most of my vehicles cost $1000 or less, which is a rarity amongst a lot of people our age. Most I know like to finance everything in sight. So far I've only financed the Tacoma, and my house.

(I'm 26)

8. Nov 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    had a issue with my heart little over a year ago. got a 2006 saleen mustang about 4 months ago. 9400 miles on her, nice car. puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Products Discussed in

To Top