1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2015 Chevy Colorado ZL1 vs. 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Ihatetacomas, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas [OP] Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    I just read the article in motortrend. Don't know if this is old news or not but it looks like Toyota has their line of work cut out for them, the Chevy beat them in all the stats, except when towing the tacoma didn't ride as harsh as the Chevy...

So what do you guys think? I honestly think it'll be good to get some new blood in the game and give Toyota a little competition.

P.S. If your a hardcore tacoma fan you might not want to read the article, the punches just kept coming

2. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I'll keep the Taco, thanks.

3. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    But you can say the same about the Tacoma. I would say wait for the 2016 Tacoma release.

4. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    ZR2*
    or maybe you meant Z71?

ZL1 is a Camaro

5. Dec 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    I love my new Tacoma. But I will agree that the plastic on the door is very cheap. Rub up against it the wrong way and it's scratched. Same as the plastic all over the car. But the fit and finish is of amazing quality compared to any GM junk. This is my 4th Tacoma will never stray away. Let's see what someone's Colorado/Canyon looks like after 5 straight years of ownership. Most likely falling apart, rattling, or rusting and becoming a money pit. So Tacoma FTMFW

6. Dec 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    My mistake, I apparently have dyslexia and it IS Z71

7. Dec 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM
    amxguy1970

amxguy1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    :facepalm: spoken like a true fanboy.

Ya you can most certainly.

Fit and finish is amazing quality? :rofl: Kind of makes one lose hope of todays society with comments like that :( And the Toyota known for having it's most key component, the back bone of the truck rust through and need replacing? :confused: Pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot...

I am a car/truck guy. Mostly a GM guy but still appreciate and admire other makes and models as well as owning them. The fanboy of some people here is just unfathomable. I dig the Tacoma's (as well as this forum which is why I am here), but have never had a GM truck have any major issue, just an alternator here, window motor there or miscellaneous rattle. For every Toyota you hear are the most amazing you hear of others that rattle, vibrate, shake and rust through. Just like with every GM truck you hear with 400k on the stock running gear there is another one that is a lemon or has a cracking dash.

Both have their faults. Just because I enjoy the heck and admire the GM performance stable doesn't mean I don't appreciate or want to learn about the terminator Cobra's, new GT350 or Focus ST (yes I dig hot hatches). I don't sit back and call them junk even though the new ones are superior than the Camaro in many areas (minus the Z28's track performance). It is a circle of automotive life.

Every full size is king for a short time until a new model comes out from a competitor, then when it gets redesigned it is back on top for a short period until the next round. The same thing with the midsize, the Tacoma has been lucky where it has had no redesigned competitors to compete against, but now that one is here that actually blows it out of the water in almost every major category (with exception of off roading) to just sit back and call it crap is pretty pathetic. Especially with all the minor (vibrations, rattles, dated cheap interior quality, ect) and major (frame, leaf springs, drive line clunk, ball joints, ect) items that plague the Tacoma.

The new one I am interested in seeing and will consider, just like I am hoping a new Frontier comes out before I am ready to buy. I wouldn't consider a current Tacoma as it is just too dated, out classed and has too many issues and poor power/economy. If the GM twins weren't out I would pick up a Tacoma over the pervious Colly, though the last one served our family very well. Many of those short comings in the current Taco are too expensive to tend too. With the new GM I can add a small lift and remove the front valence, adjust the spare and add some larger tires to get me over some moderate trails that I will do.

In the mean time it gets much better mpg saving me money on my commute, a far nicer interior with nicer ammenities, is quieter and has great towing and payload ratings (which if you watch the canyon go up the ike gauntlet towing test you will see how great it does) for towing my boat comfortably with more room in back for friens and family. I seriously hope Toyota brings a nice update model to the table to compete without watering it down too much, because right now it is seriously outclassed in many ways which is to be expected of a 10 year old truck; with exception to the 3% who seriously off road this and a they mod it anyways.

Can't everyone just appreciate others and play nice? Bring on the new trucks!

PS, anyone see the pics of the camo'd Titan? Not bad looking, I think it is getting released at Detroit too, think they want to steal some thunder from Toyota?

Tyler

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  8. Dec 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    I won't quote the whole thing but +1

9. Dec 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    You mean the company who claims ignorance of their own written warranty for a known defect, then refuses to honor it and tells the customer "yeah your 5 yr old truck shouldn't need a new head, but tough shit here's your $2000 bill for a free fix"? Yeah..

That's my former 06 Colorado with 78K and the reason why after 20 years I'll never buy a GM again..

10. Dec 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    The current generation Tacoma is a 10 year old design, of course the new technology and modern powertrain were going to leave it in the dust. But I think the new Tacoma in 2016 will change all that. If Toyota wants to keep dominating this market, they need to step up their game.

11. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:41 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    Poor power and economy? The twins BARELY beat it in those categories! The Tacoma has bigger, and more aggressive tires on it. Those BFG's are heavy tires, around 54 pounds. Id like to see them re-test with the same tires, size, load, etc. on all those trucks. After seeing the numbers I'm positive the Tacoma would come out on top.

Outclassed? How? Electronic gizmos? That's what you want? GM/Chevy could've revolutionized this market but dropped the ball. They came out with a decent truck but it's still in the shadows of the Tacoma.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  12. Dec 14, 2014 at 2:39 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    I think its going to go like this, Chevy will be on top ... for now. Then Toyota will really improve the truck and be back on top again. After that who knows

13. Dec 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Lol, they actually complained when they were parallel parking that the Tacoma's brakes were TOO sensitive.

14. Dec 15, 2014 at 8:01 PM
    amxguy1970

amxguy1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    I agree, the last Gen twins interior was pretty horrible along the lines of 90's malibu/grand am, the new ones though are heads and shoulder above anything in the class and up to par with the new full sizers (which have been praised in reviews) and have been praised them selves in reviews.

Describe what is better? The 90's plastic interior? The 90's technology? The 80's ride and handling? The 90's MPG? The 00's power? The 90's NVH charateristics? Please do tell. Yes we know it has more ground clearence and is better off road stock.

The Denali is coming, not sure a LTZ will though.

But you are ok with Toyota taking money from the Japanese government as well as the US government? Got it! :rolleyes:

The Tacoma is from the same company who brought you the Echo, Master Ace van and the current king of wet noodle frames the Tundra! Pot meet kettle?

60 more HP and the same torque (at the same 4000 rpm btw) is barely? 5 mpg hwy in V6 2wd forms isn't much? On top because of a tire change? What about the rest of the laundry list of short comings?

Yup, it even gets dogged in a more off road oriented review...
    http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-the-2015-toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-is-a-cool-idea-with-1670461402

Out classed by technology, interior finish, seats, room, storage, power, mpg, (the most important truck duties) towing and hauling, need I go on?

I have always liked the Tacoma, I still do for some things, but it is as I stated before horribly out classed and Toyota knows it by the beating it is getting in reviews and the hurry up redesign which maybe not be as thorough a redesign as one thinks. I hope so, but the only reason it was on top for so long is because there was nothing to challenge it worthwhile. Now there is, no reason to turn a blind eye. I am a GM guy but just because I am I wasn't going to say the old Colorado was tops and the Tacoma was junk. Open your eyes and give credit where credit is due. The only thing the Tacoma has on the GM twins are style to the eye of the beholder and stock off road (and after market) abilities. You should be thanking the twins as I am sure it is getting Toyota to up their game quick fast and in a hurry. Will be awesome to see what they bring to the table this time.

Couldn't have said it better my self. That is how it is in every auto segment, even the full sizers. Well said!

Tyler

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  15. Dec 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    GM paid off it's debt to the government a while back. Just sayin.

16. Dec 18, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    No they didn't.

The US took an $11.2 BILLION dollar loss on the deal.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  17. Dec 18, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    hey don't hate the echo...mine had 290000 trouble free miles (spark plugs replaced once that's it) befor I wrecked it...

18. Dec 19, 2014 at 8:01 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    Yes, according to the real world test this thread is referring to the Twins BARELY beat the Tacoma. .4 seconds in the qtr mile, 3 mpgs better combined, and 500lbs. more towing. Color me not impressed for a design that's a decade newer!!! That Sir, is barely beating the Tacoma/competition. If you have any experience with tires, especially street vs AT's you would understand my "tires" comment a bit more. If they used the same exact tire, the trucks would come out even in those comparisons.

Yes, the Twins do look better on paper but in this article it was not all that impressive. They should've released it with the diesel and everyone would've been happier.

19. Dec 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    GEORGE STRAIT

GEORGE STRAIT (Not the real George Strait)

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Da Magic City, AL
    Vehicle:
    Smart Fortwo '10 Hybrid
    Doesnt matter, this will just serve as a checklist for 2016 tacoma to include. Colorado will be inferior in every aspect in 2016 I predict

20. Dec 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    If the 2016 comes in a DCLB diesel and addresses a few of the things that bug me about my 2011, I would seriously consider buying my first new vehicle.

If not, well, I have a solid list of improvements to start on for my 2011 and I'll keep it until it makes no economical sense to do so. Judging by the guy pushing 400k on his '06 with minimal repairs, that could be a while.

Products Discussed in

To Top