1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Allstate Drivewise

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by firetaco18, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Jan 1, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    firetaco18

firetaco18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I just got my own insurance and Allstate is giving me a discount if I plug in a device into the OBD2 port. It measures speed, braking, milage, and whether or not you drive at night. They take this information and give me a better or worse rate based on it. So I sometimes drive during the night and long distances (things that give me a worse rate). What I want to know is, can I unplug it when I drive at night? or would they know I pulled it out? Is it possible to shut it off when I drive at night? I consider myself a great driver but I don't want to get a worse rate just because I have to drive a long distance to work or drive to the firehouse at night for calls. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I am not trying to cheat my insurance but I feel that I shouldn't get the shaft just for living my life.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:09 AM
    NWOffroad

NWOffroad Active Member

Member:
    Hippieville OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 LT
    TC LT, Kings, DMZ, Rigids, a few other goodies...
    Think of it as a data recorder - not plugged in ='no data acquisition. And time holes in data will be noticed.

3. Jan 2, 2015 at 12:33 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I would not accept "big brother" riding with me. They say it could lower your rates, most likely it will be used against you. My insurance stands on my driving record. There are court cases pending deciding who owns the "black boxes" that are factory installed in vehicles:eek:

4. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    firetaco18

Member:
    All good info. I can "get up to a 30% discount" for having it installed for a few months. So I guess I could use my GF's car until this blows over. I'll just drive it to the grocery store to log some miles each week but use a different car until they take back the device.

5. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Tey have a bunch of "requirements" that go into the eval/discount process. If you park the truck and don't drive much, you will likely not see much discount. They will also notice if your declared mileage and your driving habits on te device don't line up.
    Just send it back and take the rate you have now, or adjust your driving habits.

6. Jan 2, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    Hmm I'll have to read all the fine print, cause if there is a "minimum" in which I have to drive then I can just drive it to the store or I'll let my brother take my truck for a few months. He works right down the road from the house and he can put the mileage on it that it needs and still manage to stay under 25 miles a day.

7. Jan 2, 2015 at 7:46 PM

302 I love Taylor Swift :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Are you really looking for assistance in committing insurance fraud?

8. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    My Allstate agent would crap if he put that thing in my truck. I work evenings and nights, so guess when I'm on the road. Long distance trips ? That's always done at night, rush hours is when you pull over and sleep. God forbid they installed a GPS and clocked one of my NY to Florida trips.

9. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:12 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    I'm not. Just looking for ideas on how to get the best deal out of it. I already know the obvious (don't drive like an ass) but I'm trying to figure out how to get the best rate out of this. I am trying to figure out what these devices are looking for and how they work so I know what to do and what not to do. For example, I wouldn't have thought to not drive after 11 pm to get a better rate. All I am doing is trying to come up with solutions for when I have to drive over 25 miles or when I need to go to the firehouse at night. Don't accuse me of something like that, I know better.

I have a very similar situation. Since I started driving with a permit up until now I regularly drove over 100 miles a day. I have always been a good driver and only got pulled over for the first time a few weeks ago (I was turning right at a light and drove on the shoulder to get past the traffic that built up at the light). Anyway, as I mentioned, I drive to the firehouse at night too so why should I get punished for voluntarily helping people. I understand this is something they can't make exceptions for so I may drive my brothers car at night if I need to. It would be nice if insurance was more personable. my 2c.

10. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    I thought I read in your initial post that you were looking for a way to possibly "hack" the device to get yourself a better rate. Perhaps you edited that sentence out or perhaps I was just day dreaming it.

Either way a little honestly goes a long way. You either get a better rate or you don't. Fooling with the system they have created won't get you anywhere.

11. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    NWOffroad

NWOffroad Active Member

Member:
    Hippieville OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4 LT
    TC LT, Kings, DMZ, Rigids, a few other goodies...
    Trying to game the system will bite you. If you are indeed a volunteer fire fighter, there are companies that will offer you good rates and discounts. Ask around the fire house...

12. Jan 2, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    firetaco18

Member:
    It was changed to avoid getting someone else like you posting here, yes I poorly chose words but at the same time this didn't seem like a forum where people get butt hurt. I think its nice you like to take the time to try and stick it to me over the internet. The intention of this thread is to figure out how the device works, if anyone ever has hacked it and the consequences, and any other experience people have with it. Everyone else in the thread seems to understand. I'd appreciate you not commenting in this thread anymore. (look forward to your response :rolleyes:)

Yes I am a volunteer, I asked my insurance if they have a discount for it but they do not offer one. I have come across other ones that do but their rates were still higher.

13. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
    Sorry. Good luck tricking your insurance company to give you the rate you want to pay and not the one you deserve to pay. Take care

14. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I have Allstate now. I've thought about doing this. But then I realized that on the regular, I'm 5 to 10 mph over the posted speed limit a lot. I'm no crazy driver. Quite frankly, I drive like an old man mostly. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere usually. I'm talking following the flow of traffic, and everyone is over. I don't think it would take flow of traffic into account. Thus me either holding up everyone behind me for the allotted time, or not doing myself any good anyway.

15. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    X2

Who's butt hurt? We're just trying to warn you that if you try to pass off someone else's driving as your own, or other means of circumventing the system it is INSURANCE FRAUD! If you can't live with "big brother" watching you perhaps Allstate isn't the right provider. Shop around.
    BTW being a volunteer firefighter, while being respectable, is still voluntary. You're using your vehicle in a manner that could place it at risk of damage.

16. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    NYNURSE

NYNURSE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rye, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport
    Tonneau cover Window tint
    Just to add, I think they are more concerned with speed and braking more then how much or when you drive. You might lose a few points for that 2:00 AM run but you are going to lose a shit load if you are slamming on the brakes every 200 yards.
    BTW, Kudos on the volly work. Real pros do what they gotta do, not what they are paid to do.

17. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:47 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    So in summary, you want to entitle yourself to the 30% discount, but suspect your day-day driving requirements/patterns won't meet their 30% discount requirements, and want to find a way to cheat the system so you can still get the 30% discount. I think ethically, and legally that is the definition of fraud. Talk to an insurance broker, they can give you advice on how to achieve the best rate for your driving needs, and not land in court.

18. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Just have your mom take care of it again like last time James

Brap

19. Jan 2, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    07' DCSB TRD Sport SSM
    Bedside decal
  20. Jan 2, 2015 at 11:38 PM
    Germ