1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone rebuild muscle cars?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by sooner07, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 [OP] 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I'm thinking of buying a money pit. I'd love to get a late 60's early 70's charger r/t and rebuild it.

Just curious who else wants to do this, has done it, or is currently building something.

2. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
    no way i was just looking at a 68 charger yesterday to rebuild

3. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    I just know that those Chargers are soo freaking expensive now.

Me and my dad were gonna start small. Like a Buick Regal GNX

4. May 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I worked on a 67 Thunderbird in high school...It was my buddies so it cost me nothing...=)

I want to get a 'Cuda. Find the shaker hood maybe...

5. May 1, 2009 at 5:53 AM
    Austin Taco

Austin Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pflugerville, TX
    Vehicle:
    08, TRD Sport, double cab, long bed
    I'm rebuilding a 76 TA with a 4 spd 455.

6. May 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    My co worker has about $40,000 into his 70 Chevelle. It was his brother's car so everything will be restored to original with all matching numbers. Car will probably be worth about $80,000 when his is done.

7. May 1, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    Check out this site. go to the blue box on the left to find your dream car. I gotta warn you though they are already restored and VERY EXPENSIVE

http://www.cars-on-line.com/

8. May 1, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    My first car was a 67 T-Bird!

9. May 1, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    So, where does one find these one of these cars? I was thinking about searching local salvage yards, but figure they'll mostly be picked apart. Is there a good source online to find bodies and what not? Searched a bit on autotrader and on ebay, but didn't know if there was a better source.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 1, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I rebuilt a 68 Cuda a long time ago. It was a basket case when I bought it. Found it in a barn near Hayes, KS. You'll need to look around locally or search Ebay. Occasionally one will pop up to fix. We have a body shop here that does nothing but old Mopars. I found mine that way.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. May 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    drifter379

drifter379 CenTex Honky

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Secondary Air filter mod,Removed running boards,AFE Pro dry filter,sirius satelite radio,relocated horns,sockmonkey decal,EZ change drain plug,color matched grille,grille craft mx, BHLM, Fog light mod, Hellas behind the grille
    If your looking for mopars in Texas I believe these are the guys to talk to. I cant tell you how many wrecks i almost got in driving past their shop. They have restored and project cars. I believe they might also help you find a project car. Cant hurt to call them.

http://www.texastoybox.com/

12. May 1, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
  13. May 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    I rebuilt a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am, 6.6 L (403 olds) engine. Was a SUPER bad ass ride. Now that Pontiac is history, I wish I had kept it. I have close to $10K in it. Did a frame up restoration.

14. May 5, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I have an old car myself- a 1955 Mercury Monterey so I have some experience with old cars. First of all, muscle cars are super expensive right now because the old guys that drove them in their youth are in their financial prime and are totally fine shelling out craploads of money for them. In my opinion, Chryslers ( Chargers, etc) are well-engineered and reliable for that era, but the bodies on them are AWFUL. They tend to have major rust issues. So if you find a good one, they tend to be pricey. Secondly, in my opinion, most muscle cars are kind of boring because when you go to a car show, all you see are the same damned cars over, and over, and over again. If you've seen one Charger/Mustang/Belair/Camero/Corvette... then you've seen them all.

If you want a steal, look for late 70's, pre-84 model ( there was no 83') model Vettes. These at least for now are cheap. I can find them for as little as $2,500 out here in the Bay Area. The reason is because due to all the emission restrictions at that time, the stock performance is awful. But if you live in a state that doesn't have inspections, you can rip out all that junk and stuff in a new engine and have yourself a lighteight, well-handling machine cheap. That and that vintage of vette looks awesome.

As for my own experience, I actually have pretty good luck with mine. These old engines are easy to work on, easy to get parts for, and generally reliable if you keep up the maintenance. I spent about a year fixing mine up, and for the last 6 years its basically just run and been a good car. Then again, I just restored it to be a good driver, so most of it is bone stock parts. But you can easily blow loads of money on stuff like billet water pumps, chrome, ect etc. So you should set a max budget first and stick with it.

Lastly- keep in mind that if you do like a lot of guys do and turn their cars into trailer queens, spending 10's of thousands of dollars on them only to get bored with it, you will NEVER get what you spent on it back. So in that regard, they are true money pits. Keep that in mind.

15. May 5, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I would not trailer it. I'd drive the snot out of it. If I am going to put int he wrench time, there is no way I wouldn't drive it like I stole it.

Products Discussed in

To Top