Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anyone rebuild muscle cars?

Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone rebuild muscle cars?

I'm thinking of buying a money pit. I'd love to get a late 60's early 70's charger r/t and rebuild it.

Just curious who else wants to do this, has done it, or is currently building something.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
no way i was just looking at a 68 charger yesterday to rebuild
Old 04-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
I just know that those Chargers are soo freaking expensive now.

Me and my dad were gonna start small. Like a Buick Regal GNX
Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Austin Taco is a jewel in the roughAustin Taco is a jewel in the roughAustin Taco is a jewel in the roughAustin Taco is a jewel in the rough
Austin Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm rebuilding a 76 TA with a 4 spd 455.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
My co worker has about $40,000 into his 70 Chevelle. It was his brother's car so everything will be restored to original with all matching numbers. Car will probably be worth about $80,000 when his is done.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this site. go to the blue box on the left to find your dream car. I gotta warn you though they are already restored and VERY EXPENSIVE

http://www.cars-on-line.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I worked on a 67 Thunderbird in high school...It was my buddies so it cost me nothing...=)

I want to get a 'Cuda. Find the shaker hood maybe...
My first car was a 67 T-Bird!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
So, where does one find these one of these cars? I was thinking about searching local salvage yards, but figure they'll mostly be picked apart. Is there a good source online to find bodies and what not? Searched a bit on autotrader and on ebay, but didn't know if there was a better source.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
I rebuilt a 68 Cuda a long time ago. It was a basket case when I bought it. Found it in a barn near Hayes, KS. You'll need to look around locally or search Ebay. Occasionally one will pop up to fix. We have a body shop here that does nothing but old Mopars. I found mine that way.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
If your looking for mopars in Texas I believe these are the guys to talk to. I cant tell you how many wrecks i almost got in driving past their shop. They have restored and project cars. I believe they might also help you find a project car. Cant hurt to call them.

http://www.texastoybox.com/
Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
i would say http://www.autotraderclassics.com/

towards the end of the search results youll find the ones needing restoration
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
I have an old car myself- a 1955 Mercury Monterey so I have some experience with old cars. First of all, muscle cars are super expensive right now because the old guys that drove them in their youth are in their financial prime and are totally fine shelling out craploads of money for them. In my opinion, Chryslers ( Chargers, etc) are well-engineered and reliable for that era, but the bodies on them are AWFUL. They tend to have major rust issues. So if you find a good one, they tend to be pricey. Secondly, in my opinion, most muscle cars are kind of boring because when you go to a car show, all you see are the same damned cars over, and over, and over again. If you've seen one Charger/Mustang/Belair/Camero/Corvette... then you've seen them all.

If you want a steal, look for late 70's, pre-84 model ( there was no 83') model Vettes. These at least for now are cheap. I can find them for as little as $2,500 out here in the Bay Area. The reason is because due to all the emission restrictions at that time, the stock performance is awful. But if you live in a state that doesn't have inspections, you can rip out all that junk and stuff in a new engine and have yourself a lighteight, well-handling machine cheap. That and that vintage of vette looks awesome.

As for my own experience, I actually have pretty good luck with mine. These old engines are easy to work on, easy to get parts for, and generally reliable if you keep up the maintenance. I spent about a year fixing mine up, and for the last 6 years its basically just run and been a good car. Then again, I just restored it to be a good driver, so most of it is bone stock parts. But you can easily blow loads of money on stuff like billet water pumps, chrome, ect etc. So you should set a max budget first and stick with it.

Lastly- keep in mind that if you do like a lot of guys do and turn their cars into trailer queens, spending 10's of thousands of dollars on them only to get bored with it, you will NEVER get what you spent on it back. So in that regard, they are true money pits. Keep that in mind.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
I would not trailer it. I'd drive the snot out of it. If I am going to put int he wrench time, there is no way I wouldn't drive it like I stole it.