Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

HELP! I need to reclaim an engine

Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
HELP! I need to reclaim an engine

My girlfriend told me recently that she rarely changes her oil on her 2001 VW Beetle 2.0 engine. She also told me that last time she just added oil until it was full. I pulled the dipstick today and the oil was black, gritty and thick!

I am having trouble figuring out which oil weight to put in and whether I can put synthetic in or not. My google searches have come back fruitless since every result i get is the turbo engine
Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
See if she still has the owners manual. Otherwise, check with a dealer...
Old 05-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
She has the manual but the Kraut organization of that thing is enough to drive someone insane. It doesnt say anything about oil weight, just wear eye protection when changing and fill it a half quart at a time. I will check again
Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Ok finally found it. Not under maintenance, not under engine, but under tips and advice. It calls for 4.4 qts or 5W-40 or 5W-30. I went and to autozone and got 5 qts. of Penzoil dyno 5W-30 and a filter for $14, not bad!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Banned
johnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnecon2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnecon2001's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnecon2001
I'd recommend doing a drain, fill and flush (drain and fill twice). If it's been that long, you're going to have some thick oil that won't want to come out. Drive it for 50 miles after the first change, and change again.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
I second the two oil change method. Put some marvel mystery oil in with the oil and then change it after 50-100 miles. MMO tells you on the bottle how much to add. Also, quit using penzoil. Penzoil is "sticky" and it holds dirt to the walls of the engine. I've rebuilt a few motors and the worst I've seen were run religiously on penzoil and quaker state, oil changed at 3000 miles. Valvoline and Castrol are better. Synthetic is better but costs much more. Something about Pennsylvania oil I guess.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Im gonna "third" what they said ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 05-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
It been 7K miles since the last change so it isn't as bad as I expected. I am going to just change it for the drive home (a few hundred miles) then she will be in spain for a month. When she comes home I will change it again.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
If the owners manual says nothing about synthetic, how can I determine if I can put it in there?
Old 05-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also, quit using penzoil. Penzoil is "sticky" and it holds dirt to the walls of the engine. I've rebuilt a few motors and the worst I've seen were run religiously on penzoil and quaker state, oil changed at 3000 miles.
I've heard that they use a type of parafin to keep the oil from breaking down at higher temps and maintain its viscosity.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
If the owners manual says nothing about synthetic, how can I determine if I can put it in there?
You can run Synthetic in any engine.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
I've heard that they use a type of parafin to keep the oil from breaking down at higher temps and maintain its viscosity.
Every "Dino" oil is formed useing a Paraffrin based crude.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
You can run Synthetic in any engine.
Shit man i thought it was year based
Old 05-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
Also, quit using penzoil. Penzoil is "sticky" and it holds dirt to the walls of the engine. I've rebuilt a few motors and the worst I've seen were run religiously on penzoil and quaker state, oil changed at 3000 miles. Valvoline and Castrol are better. Synthetic is better but costs much more. Something about Pennsylvania oil I guess.
What about mobil 1?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Shit man i thought it was year based
There used to be a myth about synthetics causeing oil seals to break down, or Synth. Oils being too "Slippery", thus causeing issues. They are false, and Synth. oils are fine for any engine.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
I've rebuilt a few motors and the worst I've seen were run religiously on penzoil and quaker state.
X2. Have seen alot of crap in engines that have run the "Q", or Penzoil.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
good deal well i will let her run the penzoil for a trip home and when she comes down to visit I will change it out with mobile1
Old 05-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
What about mobil 1?
Mobil 1 is a good oil. I tore the top end off my 2.7 at 100K and it still looked new. Did a complete tear down on a Ford 300 c.i.d. straight 6 and it looked good as well. It had Mobil 1 in it from 30K on up to the 215K at which it had when we took it apart.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Mobil 1 is a good oil. I tore the top end off my 2.7 at 100K and it still looked new. Did a complete tear down on a Ford 300 c.i.d. straight 6 and it looked good as well. It had Mobil 1 in it from 30K on up to the 215K at which it had when we took it apart.
Ah cool, A guy at work swears by it. Runs it in everything. boat, mowers, trucks.