Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

This is why Dealers have bad rep.....

Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
This is why Dealers have bad rep.....

My 18 yr old daughter drives a 2006 Honda Accord V6. The dealer was going to charge her $85 to change out the cabin air filter plus shop supplies "tax" and sales tax. I ordered it online for $13, including shipping, and it's easier to install than the Tacoma: 5 minutes max.

I will never see auto dealers as any more than opportunistic thieves. They have no shame nor morals in taking advantage of the uninformed.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
My 18 yr old daughter drives a 2006 Honda Accord V6. The dealer was going to charge her $85 to change out the cabin air filter plus shop supplies "tax" and sales tax. I ordered it online for $13, including shipping, and it's easier to install than the Tacoma: 5 minutes max.

I will never see auto dealers as any more than opportunistic thieves. They have no shame nor morals in taking advantage of the uninformed.
very true...very correct!!!

im glad her cabin filter is easier to change than the one in my wifes 02 accord.....gotta take the whole friggin dash apart almost.....whole passenger sides gotta come out!! it took me an hour!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
tacomaniacmatt is on a distinguished road

tacomaniacmatt's Tacoma Gallery
WHAT??? Damn people are messed up in the head
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post

im glad her cabin filter is easier to change than the one in my wifes 02 accord.....gotta take the whole friggin dash apart almost.....whole passenger sides gotta come out!! it took me an hour!!!
Yeah, the 2006 accord is simple as pie. Easier, actually. I'e seen the pics of the 02 filter replacement process...yuck.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I figured how to change my dads CAF.
  1. pull apart the carpet next to the skinny pedal
  2. Go up into the dash and right behind the stereo has two doors/flaps
  3. open door #1. Pull out the top filter
  4. open door #2. Pull out bottom filter.
  5. between step 4 and 5 pull the tabs on the air filters and bend the filter to get them out.

What a pain
Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
I figured how to change my dads CAF.
  1. pull apart the carpet next to the skinny pedal
  2. Go up into the dash and right behind the stereo has two doors/flaps
  3. open door #1. Pull out the top filter
  4. open door #2. Pull out bottom filter.
  5. between step 4 and 5 pull the tabs on the air filters and bend the filter to get them out.

What a pain
hahaha....thats cake compared to the wifes honda's caf. i literally mean the whole passenger dash had to come out..................whatta pita!!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hahaha....thats cake compared to the wifes honda's caf. i literally mean the whole passenger dash had to come out..................whatta pita!!
The blower was near the windshield wasn't it
Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es30...e-97-01-a.html

theres the full CAF removal procedure
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es30...e-97-01-a.html

theres the full CAF removal procedure
damn...glad you got it man....not alot of room to work in. were gonna make a tech outta you yet!!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
damn...glad you got it man....not alot of room to work in. were gonna make a tech outta you yet!!
Yeah very glad. I gotta pick it up sometime this week.

between fixing my truck and lawnmowers and edgers I think I already am.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
Inundated is on a distinguished road
Inundated's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

While I don't disagree that some dealers may be opportunistic, you need to consider their overhead in such a deal. If they get a tech involved, they need to bill for their time. Your "simple transaction" would require a service writer, tech, parts guy and end up at the cashier.

In days gone by, she would go into parts, the parts guy would walk out to the car with her and spend the 5 minutes installing it. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. They are there to make money, there is not very much margin in a $13 filter.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The Toyota dealers here charge about the same for the cabin air filter replacement. Some people are dumb enough to fall for it, so I don't blame the dealer for trying .
Old 05-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #13
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
most dealers suck donkey d**k. i would never let them touch my shit ever.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Katzo production
leo08pirate has a spectacular aura aboutleo08pirate has a spectacular aura about

Name: Leo
leo08pirate's Tacoma Gallery
well they do that because most of the money does not only go to the dealer and mechanic but also for everyone that works on the car from the person that does the paper work to the person that drives it up to the owner

so if they were charging 85 then the money gets divided into the number people that worked on it

note: they dont get paid by the car but thats the best way for them to do it them putting a car a a side for workers then the other car for tools >>>>get the point<<<<<

Thats why their expensive
Old 05-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #15
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
While I don't disagree that some dealers may be opportunistic, you need to consider their overhead in such a deal. If they get a tech involved, they need to bill for their time. Your "simple transaction" would require a service writer, tech, parts guy and end up at the cashier.

In days gone by, she would go into parts, the parts guy would walk out to the car with her and spend the 5 minutes installing it. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. They are there to make money, there is not very much margin in a $13 filter.
So the Dealer is turning a simple transaction into a 4 person job....'nuff said. That's the Dealer's problem, why make me pay for it? I stand by my position. I smell a union.......
Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
Ty's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud ofTy's Taco has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
Ty's Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend that works for GM and he has told me that their mechanics have a book that tells them how long each job should take and what the cost should be. So most of these rip offs come from the top down and the dealers can't negotiate the prices.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #17
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty's Taco View Post
I have a friend that works for GM and he has told me that their mechanics have a book that tells them how long each job should take and what the cost should be. So most of these rip offs come from the top down and the dealers can't negotiate the prices.
I think this is incorrect. The Dealer is free to negotiate or charge whatever he wants. There is a time/labor table for most jobs, and it is ALWAYS high. I contend the dealers charge so much because they think consumers perceive them as superior to independent repair shops. Their overhead is way too high. For instance, they have F&I (Finance) guys that sit around all day approving car loans. You can do that online in 30 seconds. The factual truth is the auto dealer system is terribly broken, always has been because the dealers had too much power over the OEMS. State franchise laws - paid for by political bribes and free cars (lawsuit over this in NC as I write this....) -are extremely favorable to the dealers. Unless the OEM filed bankruptcy it was virtually impossible for them to shut a dealer down. I had the dealer put new tires on the Accord and he agreed to charge the same price for the Bridgestone Turanzas as I could have ordered them from Tire Rack online. If you don't negotiate, they won't.