Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

New environmental requirements for cars

Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
New environmental requirements for cars

Kinda vague on the details, but el Presidente has signed in a bill that means all auto mfrs have to have minimum mileages for their new cars.

Not sure exactly the mpg requirements for trucks, but I think I heard that for cars it's about 37 or 39 mpg.

So the mfrs are going to be up against it to make more efficient cars, but I also think that we're going to see smaller engines in these vehicles, which will reduce capacity. Are we ready for the Prerunner with a 2 liter 4cyl engine?!

What say you?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
If they can get 30mpg out of a truck as per the proposed standards WITH towing capacity then why not??

But there is a compromise as with everything. These standards cost money. On the car end not so much. But to get this economy out of a large vehicle takes expensive technology and tooling. So get ready to pay more, much more for a new Tacoma.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
There's quite a few new gas engines that are now using HCCI ( high compression direct injection) This is similar to what you find in turbo diesels. Some of the newer crossovers from GM are getting 30MPG now, and these are vehicles that used to get maybe 15-20MPG. These are V6 engines too. Additionally, these engines have more torque and power in relation to their weight. So that means that yes, we could realistically have better fuel economy and get to keep the power too. I suspect this move will actually be better for US car companies in the long run since if you look at what GM and Ford are doing these days, they actually make more fuel efficient cars and trucks, plus GM has the Volt coming out next year.

It'll be intersting.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Rude Boy |><|
Phantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantom_X-SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Phantom_X-SP's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...uirements.html
Old 05-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
There's quite a few new gas engines that are now using HCCI ( high compression direct injection) This is similar to what you find in turbo diesels. Some of the newer crossovers from GM are getting 30MPG now, and these are vehicles that used to get maybe 15-20MPG. These are V6 engines too. Additionally, these engines have more torque and power in relation to their weight. So that means that yes, we could realistically have better fuel economy and get to keep the power too. I suspect this move will actually be better for US car companies in the long run since if you look at what GM and Ford are doing these days, they actually make more fuel efficient cars and trucks, plus GM has the Volt coming out next year.

It'll be intersting.
Direct injection is awesome. The engine can run higher compression on standard octane and at cooler temps. The end result is more power, better fuel economy and less emissions. It is more expensive to produce than standard multi port, because among other things, it requires a secondary high pressure fuel pump. I think the benefits outweigh the expense and DI will probably start showing up on more and more vehicles.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Direct injection is good stuff! Like diesel you have to be careful working on the high pressure fuel systems.
From what I have been reading the Volt is slated to get the axe. It's a shame but with the current state of GM and the overall economy I can't see it selling.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Direct injection ftw!!! And 4 valves...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Direct injection is good stuff! Like diesel you have to be careful working on the high pressure fuel systems.
From what I have been reading the Volt is slated to get the axe. It's a shame but with the current state of GM and the overall economy I can't see it selling.
Yea, I hear they are gonna be about 40 grand. No thanks.