Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

throttle vs. rpm

Old 05-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
throttle vs. rpm

my friend and i are having a debate, gas mileage related. on a non-carburated vehicle, what would yeild you better MPGs, more throttle at a lower rpm, or less throttle at a higher rpm? i guess this would only apply to manual trannies. for instance, say you're going 45 in 5th gear, so you're at a lower rpm but you may have to be heavier on the gas pedal. or would it be better to say be in third gear, and be lighter on the gas pedal?

i'm saying the lower rpm with the heavier throttle, IMO a lower gear at higher rpm is gonna burn more gas. he thinks the more throttle at a lower rpm will burn up more gas because the engine is running less effeciently.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
More throttle at lower RPM.....less pumping losses on the engine.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
+1 cause the guy who posted this is a genius.
I dont know about "Genius".....
Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I'd say more throttle @ less RPM
it just makes more sense to me that way. if it were a carbed setup, i'd say that would be worse becuase you'd just be dumping fuel
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
More throttle at lower RPM.....less pumping losses on the engine.
+2 and confirmed with my scanguage.