Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Audi A3 TDI

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Audi A3 TDI

Here's a link I just found for the new Audi A3 TDI. I'm a huge fan of all things Toyota, but feel that more manufactures should get onboard w/ the diesels. I feel that they're almost missing the mark w/ hybrid vs. diesel technology.

I don't know the stats, but I think a large majority of European vehicles are diesels. I drove a 2005 Jetta TDI about a month ago, and got around 50mpg!

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e...container=page

Wouldn't it be great to have a Tacoma getting 30+ mpg, and all the torque that you could handle that a diesels typically put out.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
-35C Winters don't favour Diesels up here in Moose land. I do like diesels, but I have no qualms with my Petrol Taco either. There is a niche for them, and it's just waiting to be tapped. BTW - Your Jetta also has all of 90Hp right?
Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
-35C Winters don't favour Diesels up here in Moose land. I do like diesels, but I have no qualms with my Petrol Taco either. There is a niche for them, and it's just waiting to be tapped. BTW - Your Jetta also has all of 90Hp right?

them things actually put up some decent numbers for that many mpg. 140hp, 236 lbs-ft
Old 06-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Here's a link I just found for the new Audi A3 TDI. I'm a huge fan of all things Toyota, but feel that more manufactures should get onboard w/ the diesels. I feel that they're almost missing the mark w/ hybrid vs. diesel technology.

I don't know the stats, but I think a large majority of European vehicles are diesels. I drove a 2005 Jetta TDI about a month ago, and got around 50mpg!

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/e...container=page

Wouldn't it be great to have a Tacoma getting 30+ mpg, and all the torque that you could handle that a diesels typically put out.
The main reason diesels became so popular in Europe is the fact that diesel costs about half the price of gasoline. The price difference is mainly due to the high taxes on petrol. Because of this, the European car companies have made great strides in diesel technology. Audi is at the forefront of this diesel movement.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
The main reason diesels became so popular in Europe is the fact that diesel costs about half the price of gasoline. The price difference is mainly due to the high taxes on petrol. Because of this, the European car companies have made great strides in diesel technology. Audi is at the forefront of this diesel movement.
Good to know. I didn't know that diesel was 1/2 the price over there. Now it makes sense. If it was cheaper in the states, I bet companies would adapt more easily.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma08MZ View Post
them things actually put up some decent numbers for that many mpg. 140hp, 236 lbs-ft
I still prefer my Taco.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I still prefer my Taco.
Yeah, me too! I guess it's silly for me even putting this on a Tacoma forum. Subconsciously, I was trying to say "I wish there was a diesel option for my Taco!" ...that didn't cost 5k!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
mkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to beholdmkaresh is a splendid one to behold
mkaresh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Good to know. I didn't know that diesel was 1/2 the price over there. Now it makes sense. If it was cheaper in the states, I bet companies would adapt more easily.
Absolutely. And in those European countries where diesel isn't cheaper, the cars don't sell as well.

That said, the new VW TDI is doing very well here. I operate a car reliability survey, and many of my members have been buying them. And more would if they could find one to buy--short supply in many areas.

BMWs new diesels aren't selling as well. The 335d is VERY quick, but lacks the zing you get with their gas turbo six. The redline in a diesel is very low, and the torque curve falls fast after the peak. Great for how most Americans like to drive, but not so great for a driving enthusiast.