1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audi A3 TDI

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by spaghettiedy, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    spaghettiedy

spaghettiedy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB Sport in Black 4x4
    Gray Weathertechs, LG Wet Okoles, Tacome OEM Bedmat
    Here's a link I just found for the new Audi A3 TDI. I'm a huge fan of all things Toyota, but feel that more manufactures should get onboard w/ the diesels. I feel that they're almost missing the mark w/ hybrid vs. diesel technology.

I don't know the stats, but I think a large majority of European vehicles are diesels. I drove a 2005 Jetta TDI about a month ago, and got around 50mpg!

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/.../audi_tdi/audi_a3_tdi_2_0.html&container=page

Wouldn't it be great to have a Tacoma getting 30+ mpg, and all the torque that you could handle that a diesels typically put out.

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    -35ºC Winters don't favour Diesels up here in Moose land. I do like diesels, but I have no qualms with my Petrol Taco either. There is a niche for them, and it's just waiting to be tapped. BTW - Your Jetta also has all of 90Hp right?

3. Jun 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille

them things actually put up some decent numbers for that many mpg. 140hp, 236 lbs-ft

4. Jun 23, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    The main reason diesels became so popular in Europe is the fact that diesel costs about half the price of gasoline. The price difference is mainly due to the high taxes on petrol. Because of this, the European car companies have made great strides in diesel technology. Audi is at the forefront of this diesel movement.

5. Jun 23, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    I kinda like this Audi diesel...one badass car.:D

AUDI.jpg

6. Jun 29, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Good to know. I didn't know that diesel was 1/2 the price over there. Now it makes sense. If it was cheaper in the states, I bet companies would adapt more easily.

7. Jun 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I still prefer my Taco. :)

8. Jun 30, 2009 at 5:28 AM
    spaghettiedy

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, me too! I guess it's silly for me even putting this on a Tacoma forum. Subconsciously, I was trying to say "I wish there was a diesel option for my Taco!" ...that didn't cost 5k! :cool:

9. Jul 17, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    mkaresh

mkaresh Active Member

Member:
    Absolutely. And in those European countries where diesel isn't cheaper, the cars don't sell as well.

That said, the new VW TDI is doing very well here. I operate a car reliability survey, and many of my members have been buying them. And more would if they could find one to buy--short supply in many areas.

BMWs new diesels aren't selling as well. The 335d is VERY quick, but lacks the zing you get with their gas turbo six. The redline in a diesel is very low, and the torque curve falls fast after the peak. Great for how most Americans like to drive, but not so great for a driving enthusiast.

Products Discussed in

To Top