Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Non Tacoma car help

Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Non Tacoma car help

The girlfriend took her car to the dealer since the check engine light has been on for a while. They told her the problems were "Mid muffler Mount rusted off" and "leaking differential pan gasket".

I told her that the exhaust thing is not a huge deal, but the differential gasket could be. I also said to fix the muffler I would have to buy or fabricate the mount.

Was I correct, and any idea what replacing the gasket would consist of?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Differential pan gasket? what kind of car bro.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
Differential pan gasket? what kind of car bro.
Oops that is kind of inportant isn't it!

Its a VW beetle
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

year?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
year?
2001 non turbo
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #6

theres a vw master mind sitting right behind me in my office. let me ask him.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Oops that is kind of inportant isn't it!

Its a VW beetle
Ohhh

Yeah my ex had one of those... Like a 2001 I think?? It was a POFS... Tranny went out at 108k and VW refused to fix under powertrain warranty and it cost HER $6000 for a new tranny! They're a pain in the ass to work on bro... everytime I tried to work on the thing I had to buy a special tool! Good Luck!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
theres a vw master mind sitting right behind me in my office. let me ask him.
Wow that is nice! thanks man

BTW the quote is the dealers exact words
Old 07-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
Ohhh

Yeah my ex had one of those... Like a 2001 I think?? It was a POFS... Tranny went out at 108k and VW refused to fix under powertrain warranty and it cost HER $6000 for a new tranny! They're a pain in the ass to work on bro... everytime I tried to work on the thing I had to buy a special tool! Good Luck!
Yup I am well aware, and I hate that fuckign car but I am trying to help her out the best I can
Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #10

google isn't helping with the "differential pan gasket". You'd have to find a repair manual online or get a chilton or haynes to help you identify exactly what the part is. I'd say it shouldnt be too hard. By the name "pan gasket" i'd assume it would be an easy change as pans are usually on the bottom of things, held on by bolts....and the gasket would serve to create a better seal between the pan and what its attached too....so your looking at a few bolts maybe.

The guy behind me didn't know lol.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I was looking here for parts

http://www.statracing.com/oem-replac...Children=false
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #12

a pan gasket....not diff though

http://www.statracing.com/oem-replac...=AT+Pan+Gasket
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #13

is the differential a different part since its a front engine front wheel drive? this isn't making much sense to me.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
what info are you looking for i can try to look it up for you
Old 07-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #15

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=1192
Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tarantino View Post
what info are you looking for i can try to look it up for you
I'm just trying to figure out what exactly the differential pan gasket is, and how to replace it on the 2001 VW beetle
Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Those don't look like things that would trigger a CEL.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #18

^^agreed. Take it to a local autoparts store that will run a diagnostics for free (autozone does it here). Just takes an obdII reader
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
Those don't look like things that would trigger a CEL.
Well the engine code was for the MAF sensor. They said it was dirty and needed replacing, but then checked the rest of the car and found the two problems I posted about. We are trying to figure out if they are just trying to milk more money, or if it is an actual problem
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Well the engine code was for the MAF sensor. They said it was dirty and needed replacing
Did you replace it? If not, you can try cleaning it with some electrical parts cleaner. Just be gentle....they're delicate.