Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Beating a speeding ticket.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
Beating a speeding ticket.

Hey guys. I'm kinda pissed right now, because I received a speeding ticket last night, but I think I found a way to beat it, and I want to know what you guys think. First off, I'm from VA if that helps about the state laws...the cop pulled me over for doing 38 mph in a POSTED 25 mph zone. Now I have checked all up and down the street, and there is not a sign on that street that has a posted sign at 25 mph...but it is in a residential area. According to Virginia code 46.2-874 "The maximum speed shall be 25 miles per hour on highways in business or residence districts, except on interstate or other limited access highways with divided roadways or nonlimited access highways having four or more lanes and all state primary highways." But if it's not posted how are you supposed to know? What do you guys think?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Most places say that if its not posted, that means its 25 mph. Pay the ticket.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Ignorance is no excuse. That is what they will tell you.

IBTL

Old 07-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Most places say that if its not posted, that means its 25 mph. Pay the ticket.

x2
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
that's why there are driver's education courses before you get your license. They teach that sort of stuff in there.

You can try going and taking a course before your court date and maybe they'll take pity on you and reduce the ticket.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
I use to drive like a monkey on crack and have had my share of tickets. I'm not sure if you are worried about points or not. But you can just plead not guilty, show up at court. tell them you weren't using good judgement and ask for no point but still pay the ticket. Honesty usually works.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately for your self, you are liable for knowing the laws. Posted or not, you are at fault.

With that said, don't just pay the ticket and be done with it. This is a truly ignorant way to go about resolving the issue. Use the system to your advantage and see if deferred adjudication is available in your area. If it is available, write the judge a letter requesting such. If not, see if there are any other alternatives that will not require you to plead guilty. Points are no good!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Mean Green Machine

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't just plan on going to court and pay the ticket. I'm going to call the officer today, set up an appointment (if he wants to), and talk to him about it. Maybe that'll show that I really care about this not going on my record. It doesn't hurt to anyways...as long as I don't say "Hey, drop this ticket" haha.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure about VA but in CA if you’re in the state you’re required to know its laws, residence or not. Generally judges would rip you a new one of you claim ignorance so I wouldn’t bother.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Going on your record? It's a speeding ticket.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
Mean Green Machine

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Going on your record? It's a speeding ticket.
Well, if I just go to court and pay the ticket, it goes on my driving record. I can't afford the insurance rates shooting through the roof.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #13

Marines:
There is no way out of this unless there is a mistake on the ticket, and even that is a long shot. You can try to set-up an appointment but I have never heard of it.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
if its ur first it will get taken off once u complete driving school... plead guilty request driving school, go to driving school, take completion to court, ticket disappears
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
Mean Green Machine

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
There is no way out of this unless there is a mistake on the ticket, and even that is a long shot. You can try to set-up an appointment but I have never heard of it.
Well, you have a right to talk to the officer personally about the ticket. He has full authority whether or not he wants to drop the ticket or not...and also whether he would like to speak to you or not.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98yota View Post
Well, if I just go to court and pay the ticket, it goes on my driving record. I can't afford the insurance rates shooting through the roof.
That's a good reason to know the laws in your area...Good luck.

And read the back of the ticket/state statutes- you may be able to pay a fine and take traffic school online or using a video and get no points with no insurance impact
Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
It won't hurt to talk to the officer. As you said, he might see that you care and that you're sorry and forgive the ticket (or recommend to the judge that it be ignored.. whatever).

Generally, though, ignorance doens't hold up. I got a ticket for a noise violation in HS. I had NO IDEA there was a noise ordinance in my city, but the judge didn't give a sh**.

Bottom line: you should have known, but now you definitely know.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
lower management
trtripoli is on a distinguished road

trtripoli's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to trtripoli
well I'm going to thread jack for a sec.

I just got a ticket for "running" a red light and a camera caught me. but in all honesty I was easily half way through the intersection when it took my picture. and the picture showing my vehicle has a yellow light, NOT EVEN A RED. So I'm pretty sure I can get out of this. I attached my ticket they sent me.

Attached Thumbnails
Beating a speeding ticket.-ticket.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #19
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtripoli View Post
well I'm going to thread jack for a sec.

I just got a ticket for "running" a red light and a camera caught me. but in all honesty I was easily half way through the intersection when it took my picture. and the picture showing my vehicle has a yellow light, NOT EVEN A RED. So I'm pretty sure I can get out of this. I attached my ticket they sent me.
Is there a video you can watch? Our system allows you to watch it.

I would try calling up the company that issued the ticket and talking to them. If you fight it in court it will go against your driving record and will cost you twice what you are supposed to pay now.