Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Repainting wiper arms - how/what to use?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Repainting wiper arms - how/what to use?

The black paint is chipping/fallen off the wiper arms on my 97 Honda Del Sol.
I want to make them look better but do not know what kind of paint to use or how to do it.
I know nothing about spray paint when @ the store, saw all the different kinds, flat, satin etc
& thought of all you folks here at TW who do when reading about your mods!
Suggestions/advice?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Judy........i would take the arms odd and was them with dish soap,dry them and sand them down/scuff them up really well,wipe them with lacquer thinner, and then spray them with a good rustoleum clean metal primer. let that dry, and do one more coat, then after its good and dry, you can use a rustoleum black...flat or gloss either one, for metal. do a few coats,letting it dry between each, and when it cures out, it should be good to go for a long time.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
Judy........i would take the arms odd and was them with dish soap,dry them and sand them down/scuff them up really well,wipe them with lacquer thinner, and then spray them with a good rustoleum clean metal primer. let that dry, and do one more coat, then after its good and dry, you can use a rustoleum black...flat or gloss either one, for metal. do a few coats,letting it dry between each, and when it cures out, it should be good to go for a long time.

Will, thank you very much! I knew you would know!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Will, thank you very much! I knew you would know!
no problem at all.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Habitual line-stepper
elevin is on a distinguished road

Name: Eric
elevin's Tacoma Gallery
I have done this on 2 vehicles so far, and looked stock or better on both. Get a can of "trim paint" that's what it is called at discount auto, pep boys etc... 1 can will do 3 cars. 1st, remove arms, then use a scotchbrite pad and alcohol to clean them. Let the alcohol evaporate which will happen quickly. Don't lay into them too hard with the scothbrite, just enough to take any shine off. Spray light coats letting each coat dry about 1/2 hr. Total coats....2 or 3. It is the same stuff used stock, a matte finish and it will last a long time. I used a piece of string, and between coats let em hang. If you get a run, just let it dry, and scotchbrite down & recoat.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
preping what your going to paint is the key to making it look good. dont get in a rush. several light coats rather than lots of paint at once.