Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Texting While Driving

Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Texting While Driving

Ive known how dangerous it is for a while now, but just saw a clip on the Today Show saying that texting is now worse than drinking and driving. I usually try to avoid texting and driving but am guilty of it every now and then (I know its no excuse but I pretty much know where all the keys are and dont have to look at the phone but for a split second at a time)

Just wanted to get some input from you guys considering the acclamation that this is now more dangerous than DUI... SO - do you do it? what are your thoughts when you see someone in the lane next to you texting? do you think they should make it illegal?

Thanks for any input
Old 07-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
We legislate enough stuff already...Increased penalties for folks who cause accidents/injuries/damage while texting are the way to go, like many other things that are currently illegal.

I could care less what you do in your car as long as you don't put me in danger. I text and talk on the phone often- but I manage to hold the line I'm driving and will normally slow down to increase space between me and cars ahead of me. Busy traffic areas is a no-no for me. When I see people making poor decisions and swerving all over on the phone-pisses me off...Control the car right THEN worry about your weekend plans or whatever. Just MHO...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
It is illegal in VA, but only as a secondary offense. I've seen plenty of people crossing the double yellows while messing with their phone (some just talking). That being said, I do check my Blackberry while driving but will have the wife type my response if she's with me. Other than that I've learned to just wait till I get where I'm going (or at least stopped at a light).
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
It was recently made illegal here in Tenn. In my mind there are plenty of other things that are just as dangerous or distracting that aren't specifically illegal. Playing with your GPS, iPod, eating, putting on makeup, talking on the phone, etc. I do my share of "distracted driving" but I try to keep it at a minimum. Hell, if you made all of them illegal, the only thing you could do would be pay attention to your driving.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
It is illegal in VA, but only as a secondary offense. I've seen plenty of people crossing the double yellows while messing with their phone (some just talking). That being said, I do check my Blackberry while driving but will have the wife type my response if she's with me. Other than that I've learned to just wait till I get where I'm going (or at least stopped at a light).
actually i was told they have bumped it up from a secondary... not sure how accurate that is though.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Stayed Up Too Late
Untamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUntamed_SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311-Bravo 1/23 4th Mar. Div. Reserves
Name: Adam
Untamed_SS's Tacoma Gallery
I do it. I try to in "safer" conditions. Like not in traffic and not at night. For the most part.

I disaggree with them saying it is just as bad as drunk driving. Maybe tipsy driving at the most. When I'm "drunk" I usually can't even see.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I absolutely HATE when people are using their cell phones while driving. Texting, talking, dialing.....I don't care. Get your hands & eyes off the phone and put them on the wheel & the road where they belong.

Yeah, I've done it but I don't do it anymore. I'll pull into a gas station or side road and stop the vehicle If I gotta make a phone call. If someone calls me...I let it ring and I call them back when I'm ready (at home, or stopped somewhere).

Aside from a medical or family emergency....there's nothing that's more important to force you to take your eyes, ears, hands, & brain off running a piece of machinery that can be deadly if not operated properly.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
It's bad. I don't do it anymore.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I absolutely HATE when people are using their cell phones while driving. Texting, talking, dialing.....I don't care. Get your hands & eyes off the phone and put them on the wheel & the road where they belong.

Yeah, I've done it but I don't do it anymore. I'll pull into a gas station or side road and stop the vehicle If I gotta make a phone call. If someone calls me...I let it ring and I call them back when I'm ready (at home, or stopped somewhere).

Aside from a medical or family emergency....there's nothing that's more important to force you to take your eyes, ears, hands, & brain off running a piece of machinery that can be deadly if not operated properly.
I'm going to have to agree with Janster. I have seen so many people screw up their driving skills when on the road. Not noticing how fast or slow they are going, cutting out in front of people, and just plain out not seeing the drivers around them. I think it can be equal to drinking and driving. I mean yeah, your not impaired by alcohol, but your judgment and mind is off somewhere else that can be just as lethal.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
well i do it.. however i also use a program that allows me to speak the message and it types it out for me... so technically its no worse than talking.. plus my phones in a dock on the dash so i'm not holding it either..
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
well i do it.. however i also use a program that allows me to speak the message and it types it out for me... so technically its no worse than talking.. plus my phones in a dock on the dash so i'm not holding it either..
Yean now thats not bad at all on your setup. Pretty sweet actually!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
yea it works pretty good... plus the dock has a signal booster so i get to chat on the phone out in the boondocks....
Old 07-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
yea it works pretty good... plus the dock has a signal booster so i get to chat on the phone out in the boondocks....
Hey what program are you talking about for the texting? I need to look into getting that if it will work with my phone.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
its called vlingo works for texts and email plus use it to voice dial or open apps.. basically you can say whatever you want your phone to do instead of pushing buttons..
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
It's illegal in AZ. I personally don't text while driving. If someone needs to reach me for an important reason, they would have called me instead of texting. Just my opinion...
Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
its called vlingo works for texts and email plus use it to voice dial or open apps.. basically you can say whatever you want your phone to do instead of pushing buttons..
Is that something you downloaded or did it come with the phone?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it should be illegal.

That being said, I consider myself one of the very few who can do it without it affecting their driving.

If I get a phone call I'll generally tell people in the first 2 sentences I'm driving and what they want cause I want off the phone.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
download it... they have a depending on the phone and whatnot they have a free version that will do certain stuff and a one time fee for an extended version that does everything...

just go to vlingo.com and check it out and see if it will work with your phone..
Old 07-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
download it... they have a depending on the phone and whatnot they have a free version that will do certain stuff and a one time fee for an extended version that does everything...

just go to vlingo.com and check it out and see if it will work with your phone..
Cool, thanks I will have to check it out.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #20
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i do ...only while at stoplights. im like conor if somebody needs me bad enough theyll call me.