1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dad buying Taco: need help!

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by bobwilson1977, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    My Dad just called. He is at this second looking at a 09' Taco, with 2.7 liter 4 banger, 4x4, access cab. Now I've heard about 2nd gen tacos having some problems with the rear springs, radios, and a few transmissions. Have these problems been fixed or is there a TSB that you can do to fix them? Just curious before he makes the call. Any advice would be GREAT! thanks-

2. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    theres a tsb for the radios on the 09's but the rear spring has yet to be added

3. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The Radio thing has been getting fixed for everyone-I'm pretty sure there is a TSB for it and either way it'd be covered by the warranty.

The leaf spring thing is not yet TSB'd- If he plans on hauling heavy loads it may befomre an issue...but the TSB may be updated...and all he has to do is take it to them and state the problem @ that point.

Transmission problems were mainly manual and they were not common issues IIRC.

4. Jul 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    So if there's no TSB on the springs, then he can't get it fixed? Also- what problems do the manual trannys have? thanks.

5. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    1sicktaco

1sicktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD DC
    go w/ the 4.0 though

6. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    He wants the 4 banger for fuel economy. Anyhow, how bad is the rear spring problem? He hauls lots of crap on occasion.

7. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    By "lots of crap" do you mean in excess of 600 lbs?? That seems to be the magic number for a lot of folks. I had the "bad springs" in my 08 and hauled my 400 lbs bike plus camping gear and didn't have any issues.

If he has an issue with loading the truck and having a rough ride/bottoming out- He can take it to the dealer and start with a regular warranty claim...The TSB just gives some extra information/leverage.

8. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    He hauls things like golf carts, firewood, rocks, etc etc. 600 pounds seems more reasonable. He will also be hauling a 5,000 Lb boat.

9. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I would say before he buys it, make sure they do the TSB on the rear springs, sounds like he would need it...

10. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Yup, I told him he aught to ask about the springs before he considers it. He seems to really like it, but he's also used to a Tundra which can haul a lot of weight. So hopefully this truck would do well for him.

11. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Hauling IN the bed and trailering are two different things....Tongue weight for a fully loaded trailer on the tow package is only 650lbs...His trailer/boat tongue weight should be ~500#s.

He'll probably want the newer springs...Mighta be worth getting him the part numbers for the old springs ASAP and trying to work it as part of the purchase deal??

12. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea what the tongue weight of the trailer is. Arg! probably would have been a good idea to have brought the boat and see if the truck would actually haul it.

13. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    For a 5000# boat- It should have the factory tow package- Upgraded alternator and battery, oil cooler, trans cool, wiring harness, hitch receiver...If it doesn't you'll still be able to tow it...but it could can long term damage.

Tongue weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight...Still probably worth looking to get the springs...

14. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    bobwilson1977

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    Well... he decided not to get it. But thanks for all the help guys!

15. Jul 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    No problem!!

16. Jul 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM
    sector5503

sector5503 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport
    TRD Cold Air Intake TRD Exaust
    I feel like a noob but i havent been looking at the TSB but what is going on with the radios 09's?? Could you please post the webpage where you found that info aswell! :) thanks!

17. Jul 29, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    i found the info myself..i experienced it and im in the process of getting it fixed..but heres one http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/45783-radio-issues.html

Products Discussed in

To Top