Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Dad buying Taco: need help!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Dad buying Taco: need help!

My Dad just called. He is at this second looking at a 09' Taco, with 2.7 liter 4 banger, 4x4, access cab. Now I've heard about 2nd gen tacos having some problems with the rear springs, radios, and a few transmissions. Have these problems been fixed or is there a TSB that you can do to fix them? Just curious before he makes the call. Any advice would be GREAT! thanks-
Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
theres a tsb for the radios on the 09's but the rear spring has yet to be added
Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
The Radio thing has been getting fixed for everyone-I'm pretty sure there is a TSB for it and either way it'd be covered by the warranty.

The leaf spring thing is not yet TSB'd- If he plans on hauling heavy loads it may befomre an issue...but the TSB may be updated...and all he has to do is take it to them and state the problem @ that point.

Transmission problems were mainly manual and they were not common issues IIRC.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So if there's no TSB on the springs, then he can't get it fixed? Also- what problems do the manual trannys have? thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
1sicktaco is on a distinguished road
1sicktaco's Tacoma Gallery
go w/ the 4.0 though
Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #6

He wants the 4 banger for fuel economy. Anyhow, how bad is the rear spring problem? He hauls lots of crap on occasion.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwilson1977 View Post
He wants the 4 banger for fuel economy. Anyhow, how bad is the rear spring problem? He hauls lots of crap on occasion.
By "lots of crap" do you mean in excess of 600 lbs?? That seems to be the magic number for a lot of folks. I had the "bad springs" in my 08 and hauled my 400 lbs bike plus camping gear and didn't have any issues.

If he has an issue with loading the truck and having a rough ride/bottoming out- He can take it to the dealer and start with a regular warranty claim...The TSB just gives some extra information/leverage.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #8

He hauls things like golf carts, firewood, rocks, etc etc. 600 pounds seems more reasonable. He will also be hauling a 5,000 Lb boat.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I would say before he buys it, make sure they do the TSB on the rear springs, sounds like he would need it...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #10

Yup, I told him he aught to ask about the springs before he considers it. He seems to really like it, but he's also used to a Tundra which can haul a lot of weight. So hopefully this truck would do well for him.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He hauls things like golf carts, firewood, rocks, etc etc. 600 pounds seems more reasonable. He will also be hauling a 5,000 Lb boat.
Hauling IN the bed and trailering are two different things....Tongue weight for a fully loaded trailer on the tow package is only 650lbs...His trailer/boat tongue weight should be ~500#s.

He'll probably want the newer springs...Mighta be worth getting him the part numbers for the old springs ASAP and trying to work it as part of the purchase deal??
Old 07-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #12

I have no idea what the tongue weight of the trailer is. Arg! probably would have been a good idea to have brought the boat and see if the truck would actually haul it.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
abides.

Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have no idea what the tongue weight of the trailer is. Arg! probably would have been a good idea to have brought the boat and see if the truck would actually haul it.
For a 5000# boat- It should have the factory tow package- Upgraded alternator and battery, oil cooler, trans cool, wiring harness, hitch receiver...If it doesn't you'll still be able to tow it...but it could can long term damage.

Tongue weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight...Still probably worth looking to get the springs...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #14

Well... he decided not to get it. But thanks for all the help guys!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
sector5503 is on a distinguished road
sector5503's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
theres a tsb for the radios on the 09's but the rear spring has yet to be added
I feel like a noob but i havent been looking at the TSB but what is going on with the radios 09's?? Could you please post the webpage where you found that info aswell! thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #17
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sector5503 View Post
I feel like a noob but i havent been looking at the TSB but what is going on with the radios 09's?? Could you please post the webpage where you found that info aswell! thanks!
i found the info myself..i experienced it and im in the process of getting it fixed..but heres one http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...io-issues.html