1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mini

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by MooseTX82, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    MooseTX82

MooseTX82 [OP] Moose

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exh System, Icon Front Coilovers, TC UCAs, BFG 285s on 17" MotoMetal 951s, ARB Bumper, Hella Running Lights, Alpine CD HU, 6.5 Front JL Audio, 1 10" Kicker powered by Alpine 4 channel Amp
    Me and my Fiancee have decided to upgrade her MINI Cooper. We want to start planning for a little Moose in the future so we want to sell the MINI and invest in a Corola. I priced a new 2010 Corola for about 18K but I think we wanna buy a 2009 new Corola when they want to get rid of all the 2009s. The MINI is a 2006 Regular Cooper with roughly 35K miles on it and in good condition. KBB Value is about $12-14K for trade in value. Do you think we should privately sell the MINI and get more money or do you think the dealer will actually dish out $12K? I pretty much am looking for about a $5K difference in payments with the trade in.

2. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    dealers arent going to give u what u want

3. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It depends on the situation & dealership.

I would try to sell it privately and see what happens.

2.5 years ago, I tried to sell my Dodge Ram privately. I had it listed on www.cars.com for 3 months. I originally had it listed at 22K and gradually kept lowering the price to 19k. I got tired of waiting and took it into the Toyota dealer just to see what they'd offer me for it...and I wasn't even ready to buy the tacoma yet. I was honest and told them I was trying to sell it privately. They asked me how much I had it listed for... and I told them $19k. They almost immediately offered to give me $19K for the Dodge if I signed for a tacoma that day. HOLY SHIT!!!??

HELL YEAH!!! That was the end of the story....I was all signed up for a taco and couldn't be happier.

The other thing to think about - sales tax. I don't know if this is different in any other state or not.... but, if you sell your car privately and buy a Corolla - you are required to pay sales tax on the entire cost of the Corolla.
    Here in PA - that's 6%.
    If you trade a vehicle in - you're only required to pay sales tax on the residual amount after the trade-in value is taken off.

4. Aug 1, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    MooseTX82

MooseTX82 [OP] Moose

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    Airaid Intake, Magnaflow Exh System, Icon Front Coilovers, TC UCAs, BFG 285s on 17" MotoMetal 951s, ARB Bumper, Hella Running Lights, Alpine CD HU, 6.5 Front JL Audio, 1 10" Kicker powered by Alpine 4 channel Amp
    Good Info Janster...
    Well if the dealer tells offers me a good amount if I sign for a Corolla that day he might be talking.
    One thing I think I got going for me is when they pull up my credit report and stuff they will see that I fully paid off a brand new tacoma in under 2 years so they might want to work with me more...

5. Aug 1, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well thats good. but, if i was you i would sel it privately. here in NC dealerships always try to undercut you. and i dont think we have one of those sales tax things. besides dealerships always feed you bs lines like "oh you have negative equity on the car so thats gonna bring the value down even more" yadda yadda. just sell it on auto trader or somewhere like that.

Products Discussed in

To Top