Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Scangauge Peeps - what's your fuel trim?

Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Scangauge Peeps - what's your fuel trim?

Just for the heck of it....

I've got an 07 4.0L Automatic TRD Sport. Everything is stock except AFE air filter & exhaust. My fuel trim is 10.8%. The last fill-up the other day was dead on with the amount of gas I filled up with.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
From last fillup,9.3
This fillup was 1 tenth off.
Adjusted it to 9.2.
Being one tenth off (+or-)every other tank is normal.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I think mine is set to 9.3% also. The total at fillups vary around it a bit depending on how I drive... towing, 4x4, highway, city, mixed driving, etc. but I just leave it alone as its pretty close.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
andrew862 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
andrew862's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished a tank of fuel with my TRD exhaust and AFE ProDry S Filter in stock intake with the Charcoal filter removed and I had to adjust it 10-11%. Before the exhaust the factor was always 8-9%.

It was an all highway trip and I got 21.7 MPG! Not to shabby at 65mph mostly. I always check the scangauge against the fuelly calc and they are usually pretty close.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Not to be funny - what is fuel trim?
Do you have a Scangauge II?

Hard to explain....
It's a number within the Scangauge that helps to keep the gas mileage calibrated for more accuracy for MPG's during each tank of gas used.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
yes I have the scanguage II I only adjusted the odometer 1.07 for my bigger tires 285/70/17s, then when I went back to stock during the winter months I put it back to 1.0,

For my fillups I just let the thing do its thing after I set it after a couple tanks. I've checked it a couple times but its pretty much spot on . IF I do run 89 its better by .1-.2 a mpg per tank. its probably right on that same screen and I just missed it.

I want to lean out the engine via a trick plate or something by the MAF..anybody try that. Cold air kills my mpg and I'm going to play with a hot intake. What is the code for that? I've had -8 intake temps and the corrilation is the lower the intake temp the more rich the pig of a motor runs = worse MPG.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Not to be funny - what is fuel trim?
Fuel Trim is the ECU fine tuning the fuel delivery to the engine. You have Long Term, and SHort Term fuel trims. Long Term is the Open injector pules time over the entire RPM range of the engine. Short Term is the control over the Open injector pules in the mid to upper RPM.s Short term makes fast, temporary changes to the fuel delevery, while Long Term makes slower, more permanant changes. On a Scanguage, or Ultra Gauge, the Short and long term trims are measured in a percentage of difference from the base MAP. For example: If the Short Term reads .78, that means the fuel delevery was changed .78% from the base map in the ECU. Long term is going to be a higher number, like 8.70 or the like. The Short Term trims can also read in the negative range, like -.78, or the like.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #13
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I have a SG2 and it usually is right on.. maybe with in 1/2 an mpg, but i went on a trip and forgot to reset it everytime I got gas, I have now gotten gas twice and gone to "fill up" set the correct amount of gas that was put in my tank, saved it, and it still wrong. last time I got gas it thought I'd used 24 gallons instead of like 16, I'm hoping when I fuel up next it will be alot more accurate. i just installed a snorkel so I'm trying to document it's affect on my fuel mileage.

It's probably nothing and will be corrected simply by filling up a few more times, but since I'm kind of new to the scan gauge, does anyone have any advice?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I have a SG2 and it usually is right on.. maybe with in 1/2 an mpg, but i went on a trip and forgot to reset it everytime I got gas, I have now gotten gas twice and gone to "fill up" set the correct amount of gas that was put in my tank, saved it, and it still wrong. last time I got gas it thought I'd used 24 gallons instead of like 16, I'm hoping when I fuel up next it will be alot more accurate. i just installed a snorkel so I'm trying to document it's affect on my fuel mileage.

It's probably nothing and will be corrected simply by filling up a few more times, but since I'm kind of new to the scan gauge, does anyone have any advice?
For the most part, it calculates the MPG based on numbers. Numbers it gets from the computer (mileage & fuel trim, etc). It's not a real-time totally accurate system.

The fuel trim & MPG readings are most accurate for the type of driving you do or set it to. If you've set it for your daily commute (assuming its about the same each day), it'll be most accurate. As soon as you throw in a long distance trip in there or you're stuck in traffic, extra stop-n-gos etc. ......to 'upset' the norm, the scangauge won't be as accurate. And that's because the fuel trim isn't set for that (for the most part).

You can set your fuel trim everytime if you like, but understand that you are setting it for that style of driving that you did for that tank.

If you're trying to find out the precise/more accurage MPG with the snorkel, I would manually track the MPG's using the gallons used & mileage (not the scangauge).
Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
Mine varies between 4.8%-6.5%
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
Sleeper 4x4
Super Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuper Werty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Super Werty's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone have the exact code I need to program xgauge to see short and long term fuel trims?

Thanks

EDIT> NVM I found them