Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

my trip to school and back

Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
my trip to school and back

So, I start school on april 5th, so I'll be driving down to Texas end of march/early april, here is the link to my trip there, I'll be coming with a buddy.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,46.538086&z=5

(If anyone wants to lend a couple couches for a night somewhere along the way that would be extremely cool)

And here is my trip back with my gf, if you have any ideas of cool places to stop, let me know, I've never been to the USA like this before so I'm up for anything.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,46.538086&z=5

So far on the way back, we'd like to go to vegas, drive up the oregon coast and find somewhere to surf, maybe santa cruz?
we wanna find some sweet roller coasters to ride, I wanna go to a gun range and shoot some pistols and machine guns, and anything else cool! I'm gona make this the trip of a lifetime, so money isn't a huge issue for me,

so, suggestions?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Will Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWill Prerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Will Prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Out of all the sates your going to I've only been to Arizona Colorado and Wyoming. My favorite place in wyoming was the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, and in Colorado it was Rocky Mountain National Park. The places were beautiful and I had never seen so much snow or wildlife, but being from canada you probably wouldn't be as excited. As far as Arizona If you havent been to the Grand Canyon definitely check it out. The town of Sedona in the red rocks is really cool make a stop through there. Looks like you are going to be close to Tombstone and the OK corral, it is an old West Ghost Town with a lot of touristy stuff, and hIstory. Check out Karchner Caverns near Benson, it is a bunch of huge cool caves. If you are into the nightlife, Scottsdale is a good place to hang out. The weather should be warming up and if you like to hike check out the superstition mountains just East of phoenix.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Prerunner View Post
Out of all the sates your going to I've only been to Arizona Colorado and Wyoming. My favorite place in wyoming was the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, and in Colorado it was Rocky Mountain National Park. The places were beautiful and I had never seen so much snow or wildlife, but being from canada you probably wouldn't be as excited. As far as Arizona If you havent been to the Grand Canyon definitely check it out. The town of Sedona in the red rocks is really cool make a stop through there. Looks like you are going to be close to Tombstone and the OK corral, it is an old West Ghost Town with a lot of touristy stuff, and hIstory. Check out Karchner Caverns near Benson, it is a bunch of huge cool caves. If you are into the nightlife, Scottsdale is a good place to hang out. The weather should be warming up and if you like to hike check out the superstition mountains just East of phoenix.
Thank you! that all sounds great! i'm gona have to write all of these places down! very excited to see the grand canyon and the ghost town!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #4

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for easy access camp sites near these locations:
-Bozeman MT, looking into the sunrise campground
-Near Fort Collins CO willing to stop anywhere within 50 ish miles of fort collins, as close as possible to the I-25 S
-Near Blackwell Oklahoma, again willing to be within 50ish miles.

and that will be it! then I reach my destination!
I'm leaving in 9 days, excited and nervous. So if anyone has any ideas as to where I should camp for the night that would be great, or if you have some room for me to park on your property that would be awesome.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Hit up Motel 6. There's many of them around and they're only like $42 a night. And they'll leave the lights on for you. Lol.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #6

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
really! holy crap, in canada you can barely get a campground for $42 haha
Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome dude! After I graduated from HS I hit the road for 3 months camping in KOA's throughout the Southeast. I wrecked my car, ran out of money & had to get a job. I had the time of my life... Too bad you're not heading through Georgia I'd put you up. Of course GA doesn't have the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, or a great place to surf. Sounds like a great time. Live it up, you'll never forget it.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Old Guy Member
satchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nice

Air Force: mech
satchsd's Tacoma Gallery
just checked out your route i drive from texas to denver couple times a year. may i suggest staying on I-25 thru denver all the way to raton new mexico the cut across to dumass tx then 287 to where your going. the drive thru new mexico is nice compared to westen kansas and oklahoma.
and on your way out of texas stay away from the mexican border during night time, the drug lords are getting very bold down there in killing people
Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Sparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Sparky4.0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchsd View Post
just checked out your route i drive from texas to denver couple times a year. may i suggest staying on I-25 thru denver all the way to raton new mexico the cut across to dumass tx then 287 to where your going. the drive thru new mexico is nice compared to westen kansas and oklahoma.
and on your way out of texas stay away from the mexican border during night time, the drug lords are getting very bold down there in killing people
15 miles south of Dumas,Tx is the canadian river. a free OHV park. everything from sand/mud/rocks. easy to extreme. google canadian river mudbogs 2010 amarillo tx for pics. if you got that route i would be more than wheeling to meet you whenever and show you around a bit.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
Looking for easy access camp sites near these locations:
-Bozeman MT, looking into the sunrise campground
-Near Fort Collins CO willing to stop anywhere within 50 ish miles of fort collins, as close as possible to the I-25 S
-Near Blackwell Oklahoma, again willing to be within 50ish miles.

and that will be it! then I reach my destination!
I'm leaving in 9 days, excited and nervous. So if anyone has any ideas as to where I should camp for the night that would be great, or if you have some room for me to park on your property that would be awesome.

Thanks guys!
If you are still coming through Butte & Bozeman let me know there are lots of areas to camp - always happy to make suggestions if you're interested. Although camping here this time of year itsn't for the faint of heart...snowed last night. And will snow more tonight as well. Shoot me a PM if you want travel info for my neck of the woods.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #11

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the info guys, I'll be contacting some of you shortly!
and I do plan to stay as far from the mexican border as possible haha.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #12

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wow, I just punched that into my trip and not only do you say it's a nicer drive, it saves me about 200km!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You beat me to it. I will second this recommendation. Routing programs do not seem to recognize that US 287 is a more efficient route. TX rural highways run the same speeds as interstates, so running the "south" route will save you about half a day. I live near Decatur, TX., and have family in the Denver area. In a typical year, I drive that route at least twice.

Depending on the time you're giving yourself, there are plenty of touristy things to do in Colorado Springs. An excellent place to eat is Guiseppes Old Depot resturaunt. Ask for a window seat in the place, and you can watch the trains go by while you eat. There is the Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, and Pikes Peak if you have the time to stay an play a couple of days. Another diversion going through New Mexico is the Capulin Volcano. It has been on my "wannado" list for quite some time, but I've never quite had the time to stop and drive the road to the crater.

My work schedule precludes me from opening up my home as a place to stay the night. However, if your timing runs you through Decatur at around lunchtime, I'm open to meet at Yesterdays for lunch. They serve good old fashioned "this is why Americans are so fat" type of food there. I would need enough notice to insure that my schedule is open.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #14

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
You beat me to it. I will second this recommendation. Routing programs do not seem to recognize that US 287 is a more efficient route. TX rural highways run the same speeds as interstates, so running the "south" route will save you about half a day. I live near Decatur, TX., and have family in the Denver area. In a typical year, I drive that route at least twice.

Depending on the time you're giving yourself, there are plenty of touristy things to do in Colorado Springs. An excellent place to eat is Guiseppes Old Depot resturaunt. Ask for a window seat in the place, and you can watch the trains go by while you eat. There is the Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, and Pikes Peak if you have the time to stay an play a couple of days. Another diversion going through New Mexico is the Capulin Volcano. It has been on my "wannado" list for quite some time, but I've never quite had the time to stop and drive the road to the crater.

My work schedule precludes me from opening up my home as a place to stay the night. However, if your timing runs you through Decatur at around lunchtime, I'm open to meet at Yesterdays for lunch. They serve good old fashioned "this is why Americans are so fat" type of food there. I would need enough notice to insure that my schedule is open.

Southern hospitality at it's finest!
Not exactly sure what time I'll be headed through, but i'll let you know in advance if Ill be around.
any other short cuts I should know about?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Southern hospitality at it's finest!
Not exactly sure what time I'll be headed through, but i'll let you know in advance if Ill be around.
any other short cuts I should know about?
Not so much a shortcut, but do expect to put up with some very heavy traffic on I-35W headed south through Ft. Worth. This is a very heavily traveled stretch of road, and congestion somewhere along that stretch is virtually guaranteed.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #16

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
well that's no fun, but I'll be close to College station by then so I'll be worry free!

I just booked a spot in the royal 7 inn, in Bozeman MT for sunday!
I'll probably stay at the motel 6's in fort collins CO and Amarillo TX, cause most of the campsites are still closed
Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
I am in Ft. Worth. Agree that it may be best to go around this area, unless you come through late at night, or early in the morning. If you do come to the DFW area, and need a meal or a place to stay, let me know.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Rob
robdawg14m is a jewel in the roughrobdawg14m is a jewel in the roughrobdawg14m is a jewel in the rough
Marines: 2nd MP BN
Name: Robert
robdawg14m's Tacoma Gallery
I live north of Ft. Worth in Denton, and I stay far away from Ft. Worth during rush hour. If you timed it right you should be good though.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #19

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
I am in Ft. Worth. Agree that it may be best to go around this area, unless you come through late at night, or early in the morning. If you do come to the DFW area, and need a meal or a place to stay, let me know.
I'm staying in amarillo the night before, so I'd be there mid day, any idea how the drive is if I go south at henrietta down the 281 to waco then over to college station?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm staying in amarillo the night before, so I'd be there mid day, any idea how the drive is if I go south at henrietta down the 281 to waco then over to college station?

That drive should be good. I have traveled that road many times, instead of taking I-35. That should take you around everything. Good idea.