1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shocks for a 2001 sentra?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by MurphyZ, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    any ideas where to get shocks for my wifes car? which are good? which would you recommend?

need something to help the ride quality

2. Dec 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    KYBs maybe. Try shox.com and see what they have.

3. Dec 26, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    ScottyB

ScottyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's
    ride quality? does it have aftermarket springs on it making the ride rough? Most oem shocks would be pretty similar without spending a little more money. Can't say about a sentra but for alot of cars people rave about oem replacement bilsteins.

4. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    no it was a delivery car before we bought it,118k and no real maintenance except oil, air filter and thats about it.

i have been slowly turning that around. still cant find why the cars clutch grabs so quickly, if you let of the gas and then reapply pressure the the car lurches as the clutch reengages. any idea on that?

oem replacement shocks thanks ill look at them. need something all the shocks are dead and bumps feel like your running over a cow in a gokart.

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    ScottyB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's
    Your shocks sound totally shot. If they're gone that bad probably any off the shelf shocks would be a drastic improvement.

As for the clutch do you have more specifics on what it's doing and is the clutch something that has been changed?

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    when you drive you have to be so gentle with the gas or the car will jump forward. like when you drop the clutch and the car "jumps". it is impossible to drive one speed. the car will (it feels anyway) like the clutch disengages as you let of the gas slightly, and as you try to gently speed up(even to just stay the same speed) the clutch grabs like hell and the car jumps as it reengages. worse in lower gears and at lower speed. it doesnt fell like when you are about to "kill it". i have never had this problem. wonder if the clutch needs to be adjusted. i would work on semi's back when and you had to adj those clutches with the right amount of "play". problem is yes the clutch pedal grabs quickly but i feel .5in of play in the pedal before it grabs the flywheel.

the problem is consistent and i am only pressing the gas pedal.if i was to push on let off push on let off push on let off,etc. not really changing speed but doing this in quick succession, the car would buck like a bull

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    It doesn't sound to me like there is to much of an issue with you clutch. chluches are not like automaticsif you let of of the gas and do not apply the clutch you are going to imidiately start to slow down because everything the drive line is still conected to the motor and with lak of gas the motor isn't going to want to turn. (engine breaking) when you re-aply the gas it will jerk forward because everything is still conected in the drive line and it will be more harsh in lower gears. The only way to smooth this out when you apply the gas is to push the clutch in and then let it out while you push the gas pedel just as if you had just shift into that gear.

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    this is so bad though. have had a focus that never did this, corolla, and a 86 4runner that all were manuals and none of them did this jerking. it feels like someone has a chain tied to the front of my bumper and with slack in the chain just gunned it and jerked my car. this is an exaggeration but you get the idea. it is bad. i cant drive in 3rd gear at 25 miles an hour because if i am not perfect on my speed it jerks so bad. it grabs so hard! it really cant be good or normal.
    i am trying to look at adjusting the clutch but it has a hydraulic clutch and i dont know how to do that(yay internet)

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    check ebay......they have some nice kyb's on there, as well as some tokicos.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Dec 29, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    MurphyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    i did and found some for 200 bucks thanks for the help.

i talked to the dealership and they said that the cars hydraulic clutch is what makes it so darn touchy. dont buy it but we will see if the shocks help dampen the clutch grab. i doubt it but maybe.

11. Dec 29, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    ScottyB

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner TRD V6
    Bilstein 5100's
    I also don't think that really sounds like your clutch. I don't know anything specifically about Sentras but that sounds like maybe your tps is screwed up, if the car has one.

Products Discussed in

To Top