LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

LT fender and bumper idea.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
LT fender and bumper idea.

Since I need to save my money for the 8" King coilovers and the Engage LT kit. A speciality shop and I both came up with this idea. Tell me what you think.

I will be keeping the stock fenders, but I will be cutting off the bottom part of the fender (to the top of the existing fender flare). Then we will make the mold part that only consists of the rise(3") and flare(4").

We will then bondo the fiberglass part to the existing stock fender.

As for the bumper, I will be using a high grade 1" steel tubing for the frame of the bumper. Hopefully with TIG welding, but MIG should do just fine. And I will have a skid plate that will be the front to where the existing stock skidplate ends. The new skidplate will use the bolt holes from the old stock skidplate.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
bumo
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Everyone hates you I guess. sry
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
it would work but seems like a lot of work and money to get it done right..might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a set of fenders.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tac05 View Post
Everyone hates you I guess. sry
Thanks for the nice words, Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
it would work but seems like a lot of work and money to get it done right..might be easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a set of fenders.
The reason why we decided on this is idea is because we dont know how thick the LT fenders are.

Being afraid they might crack or something. Your more worried about the rise and flare than the look itself, right?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post

The reason why we decided on this is idea is because we dont know how thick the LT fenders are.
browse arounf TTORA in the Desert Tech section and race-dezert.com. fiberglass finders are pretty durable. call the manufactures for specs..i'm sure they would have no problems giving them to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Being afraid they might crack or something. Your more worried about the rise and flare than the look itself, right?
not really..as long as they will cover the tires properly and give enough clearance. i would be more concerned about quality and fit more then looks, but thats just me. and besides..i'm beyond how my truck looks hahahahah

Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
fiberglass adhered to metal via body filler isnt the best idea, it will crack out and look like shit eventually.. go with fiberglass fenders.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
browse arounf TTORA in the Desert Tech section and race-dezert.com. fiberglass finders are pretty durable. call the manufactures for specs..i'm sure they would have no problems giving them to you.

not really..as long as they will cover the tires properly and give enough clearance. i would be more concerned about quality and fit more then looks, but thats just me. and besides..i'm beyond how my truck looks hahahahah
I've been browsing race-dezert.com. Nothing has came up but some 8" Fox coilovers with Res. And I contacted Glassworks, They were very discreet about the dimensions. They kept on asking questions than the answers I wanted. I'll try another company and see what they say.

Well thats why we brainstormed this idea, because its more on the side of functionality than a full styled fender. And we all know your truck is a sick trail DD, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
fiberglass adhered to metal via body filler isnt the best idea, it will crack out and look like shit eventually.. go with fiberglass fenders.
Yes I've been looking at old Muscle Car forums and they say to stay away from this process.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
fiber glass is cheaper than metal work .
Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat241 View Post
just buy fenders it'l be worth there verry stong and can fit 35s i got glassworks
The guy that is helping me used to be a surfboard builder (made out of fiberglass). But I'm going to get more quotes, dimensions, etc from different companies.

Can you name a few?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
fiber glass is cheaper than metal work .
Thats a given. But I'm just trying to reach my goal faster.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So lents, when is this LT happening and when are you coming out to California to test it out?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
THE RED DRAGON!!
TexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasIslandBoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
TexasIslandBoy's Tacoma Gallery
glassworks
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So lents, when is this LT happening and when are you coming out to California to test it out?
Well since its Winter... My date is being pushed back. Right now, with nothing going wrong or anything, I'm looking at around August or September. And that is a rough approximation.

And I'm not exactly sure. I'll have to go there to get Engage to valve and adjust everything properly.

Most likely I'll fly there and have my truck shipped over to CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy View Post
glassworks
hahaha other than Glassworks. I've already asked them.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
List the Fiberglass fender compaies please.....
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Slamry

http://www.fiberwerx.com/

Don't know any positive or negative about them.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://www.fiberwerx.com/

Don't know any positive or negative about them.
OHHHH I know about this brand. They seem to make good stuff. They made the Frontier to Titan Fiberglass body kit.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
Power Top

Lentsnh....here's a good little read for fiberglass..gets a little whiny but still good to read..

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ght=fiberglass
Old 01-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link Tom. I need to join TTORA now too!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
1'' tubing on the front bumper might be a little thin?
i'd go with 1.5"

not for strength but for looks. 1" would just look to small on the truck IMO