Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

GM offers incentives to Toyota and Lexus owners facing recall headaches

Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
GM offers incentives to Toyota and Lexus owners facing recall headaches

It was just a matter of time

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/01/27...all-headaches/

Quote:
DETROIT -- General Motors Co., seeking to capitalize on the problems plaguing Toyota Motor Corp.'s vehicles, will offer a monthlong incentive to Toyota and Lexus owners.

The move is in response to “thousands” of calls and e-mails to dealers and GM employees from Toyota owners asking for help, GM spokesman Tom Henderson said today.

The incentive, which runs through the end of February, offers Toyota and Lexus owners three options, Henderson said:

1. Those who choose to lease a vehicle may waive three payments for up to a total of $1,000.

2. Qualifying customers who are financing a vehicle purchase can receive 0 percent financing for up to 60 months.

3. Cash buyers can receive $1,000 off their purchase.

The incentive applies to purchases of GMC, Buick, Cadillac and Chevrolet vehicles, Henderson said.

Toyota last week recalled 2.3 million vehicles to fix accelerator pedals that could become stuck. That recall number included some 2009-10 Pontiac Vibes, the sibling crossover of the Toyota Matrix. Both were produced in California by a former joint venture between GM and Toyota, New United Motor Manufacturing Inc.

Late yesterday, Toyota said it would suspend sales of vehicles with the affected pedals. That includes the 1,400 Pontiac Vibes left in North America, GM spokesman Alan Adler said today.

Only six Vibes are left in the United States -- the rest are in Canada. And four of the U.S. Vibes are technically sold but still may be on dealers' lots, Adler said.

GM won't sell the two unsold U.S. Vibes, he said.

GM expects Toyota will pay for all recall work, Adler said, but the automaker is waiting for Toyota to give instructions to Buick-GMC dealers for fixing Vibes.

“Ultimately, GM dealers would fix Pontiac vehicles, but it's up to Toyota to provide the remedy,” Adler said today.

Toyota spokesmen didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.

It was unclear if any other automakers would follow GM's lead.

Said Ford spokesman Robert Parker: "We have not changed our focus, which is to provide all customers with products they want and value. It is through the strength of our new products – with leading quality, fuel efficiency, safety, smart design and value – that we have been and will continue to attract new customers."

Hyundai isn’t currently planning an incentive aimed at Toyota, spokesman Chris Hosford said today, but the company is still considering doing so.

“Every day in the car business is new,” Hosford said. “Tomorrow, we could see something that changes the situation.”

Chrysler spokeswoman Kathy Graham said:

"We’re not doing anything to target Toyota customers at this time. Our focus has been on getting the word out to consumers that the new company has great vehicles with cool features and making sure we’re building our brands and letting customers know. Nothing has changed."
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
ohh shit I can finally buy that mali...cobal....silvera....nvm, i'll stick with my toyota
Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Are they offering an incentive called "My vehicle won't fall the fuck apart around 100,000 miles?"

If not, I'm not interested.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Are they offering an incentive called "My vehicle won't fall the fuck apart around 100,000 miles?"

If not, I'm not interested.
nope... but in their defense, they don't offer a product that will accelerate out of control and kill people...

It's all about perspective...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
They are engineered to fall apart just after 60k, right after the warranty ends. That feat of engineering they did perfect.
So close to home it hurts.

My Aunt had a Pontiac Montana back when they still made 'em and that thing shit the tranny right in the mid 60ks. I was in my early teens at the time and that pretty much cemented for me that the only GM vehicle I would ever potentially own would be a muscle car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
nope... but in their defense, they don't offer a product that will accelerate out of control and kill people...

Neither does Toyota. Did you read? They've stopped sellin' em.

If GM's reliability were remotely in Toyota's ballpark, I'd've considered their offerings. They aren't, so I didn't. It's pretty much that simple. Item #1 that I ask of all my vehicles is that when I turn the key, they do what they're supposed to do.

I've never understood how American car companies for the better part of two decades consistently sold products that broke down, under normal use conditions with proper maintenance, in absurdly short periods of time (<5 years quite often).

Ford seems to have turned their ship around. GM and Chrysler, on the other hand, apparently have no interest in saving themselves outside of lobbying for bailouts.

I'm favoring a Honda for my next daily driver, but if Ford continues their current track record, the Fusion will get strong consideration.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ x2, you can either buy from a company that halts sales on faulty products, or buy from a company that has continuously sold faulty products without shame...for less
Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFGator View Post
So close to home it hurts.

My Aunt had a Pontiac Montana back when they still made 'em and that thing shit the tranny right in the mid 60ks. I was in my early teens at the time and that pretty much cemented for me that the only GM vehicle I would ever potentially own would be a muscle car.

My 92 Ford's tranny went tits up at 60,123 miles and the dealer laughed me out of his dealership. That is the last "Big 3" that I owned. To be fair my 88 Ford's brake system went bad around 65ish but the dealer (different dealer) split the cost with me. He said there was no excuse for that to have happened. Very cool of him, that dealer was Bill Curry Ford in Tampa, Fl, I wish they sold Toyotas. The other dealer went out of business, good for him.
My taco's tranny shit itself outta first gear by 10K miles, completely due to off roading, and the dealership took it in the day I brought it to them, replaced my tranny for free, and had it back that friday.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
He is The STig
mick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmick478 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bott
mick478's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post

WOW!!!! i can finally get a thousand dollars off the sticker price of a new car, but i have to pay cash to get that......no thanks, o percent financing for 72 months they are advertising here, but if im trading in an import, i can only get it for sixty??? k, pass
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post

Your right! They left that to the germans at AUDI!!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
^ x2, you can either buy from a company that halts sales on faulty products, or buy from a company that has continuously sold faulty products without shame...for less
As mentioned in another thread Toyota didn't halt the production because they wanted to, they are obligated to do so:

Quote:
Under Chapter 301 of the Motor Safety Code, Toyota can't continue to sell the defective vehicles unless it has a remedy.
Quote:
Toyota had been aware of issues with the pedals for more than two years but in June 2008 declared reports of sticky pedals were a "drivability," rather than a safety, issue.
Quote:
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told Chicago radio station WGN that the government asked Toyota to stop selling the vehicles.
LaHood said, "The reason Toyota decided to do the recall and to stop manufacturing was because we asked them to."
A Toyota spokesman, Mike Michels, said Tuesday the automaker expects to have a remedy in "weeks, not months."
Officials said NHTSA first contacted Toyota Friday, after seeing news reports of Toyota's plans to continue selling defective vehicles.
Every car company is the same thing... I would not defend any of them, or would say that X is better than Y.