Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Just my thoughts about Toyota's dilemma.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Just my thoughts about Toyota's dilemma.

(I was going to post this as a reply to a thred in the 2nd-Gen forum, but I thought it would be too diverse for that particula thread.)

I voted "Yes" to my concern for Toyota's reputation. I live near a town that is heavily dependent on the auto-industry (Windsor, ON). Many people drive "domestic" vehicles and jump at the opportunity to throw in anti-Toyota or anti-Honda slurs. The gas pedal recall has given them new ammunition.

I still drive my Tacoma with a great deal of pride, I couldn't care less what people drive, nor am I concerned that by buying a Toyota I'm taking money away from the local economy. It's my money, I'll do what I want with it. In fact, I bought it at my local dealership (at the time, having sinced moved). If that's not local, I don't know what is.

The media have latched onto the recall like a rotweiller on a lambshank. It'll likely be weeks, possibly months until the storm passes and I think in the time that follows Toyota will have to regain peoples' trust. It may not be much of an issue in other places, but in cities like Windsor they will probably have a harder time.

I plan on sticking with Toyota, much as the big-3 supporters have done. The difference is, I'm basing my choice on having driven a variety of vehicles... not by the grandfathered tradition generally maintained by so many big-3 supporters. I will also recommend Toyota based on my positive experience so far - not by what the media says - we should all know by now that the media is a very highly-linked engine to influence peoples' decisions.

I'd be interested to read peoples' replies.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
(I was going to post this as a reply to a thred in the 2nd-Gen forum, but I thought it would be too diverse for that particula thread.)

I voted "Yes" to my concern for Toyota's reputation. I live near a town that is heavily dependent on the auto-industry (Windsor, ON). Many people drive "domestic" vehicles and jump at the opportunity to throw in anti-Toyota or anti-Honda slurs. The gas pedal recall has given them new ammunition.

I still drive my Tacoma with a great deal of pride, I couldn't care less what people drive, nor am I concerned that by buying a Toyota I'm taking money away from the local economy. It's my money, I'll do what I want with it. In fact, I bought it at my local dealership (at the time, having sinced moved). If that's not local, I don't know what is.

The media have latched onto the recall like a rotweiller on a lambshank. It'll likely be weeks, possibly months until the storm passes and I think in the time that follows Toyota will have to regain peoples' trust. It may not be much of an issue in other places, but in cities like Windsor they will probably have a harder time.

I plan on sticking with Toyota, much as the big-3 supporters have done. The difference is, I'm basing my choice on having driven a variety of vehicles... not by the grandfathered tradition generally maintained by so many big-3 supporters. I will also recommend Toyota based on my positive experience so far - not by what the media says - we should all know by now that the media is a very highly-linked engine to influence peoples' decisions.

I'd be interested to read peoples' replies.
Honestly, I am not worried about people who can think for themselves leaving Toyota. I am worried about the sheeple who feed off of the media and whatever they are told. I know Toyota Corp. is trying to make it right, and I also know they will be ontop of their game once they get it all worked out. I think they needed an eye opener to their current direction of QA. They will recover and they will come back better and stronger than before. What doesn't kill you only makes you think harder about it next time.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #3
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Toyota did the right thing and will be recognized for doing so, much like the makers of Tylenol, who recalled all the drug from stores after tampering was found on some containers. The company was lauded for ethics and doing the right thing. Toyota will be in the same boat.........
Just my coupla pennies.......
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Yay! another stupid thread about this shit. You should have just replied to the original thread instead of another thread about the same thing...

It feels like the Raptor thread(s) all over again...

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't this comment be included in the poll thread that was created??
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
RAPTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Del does not count BTW!

Just kidding Cheby.