Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

change wheel bearing on 97 accord?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
red neck toy is on a distinguished road
Name: earle
red neck toy's Tacoma Gallery
change wheel bearing on 97 accord?

anyone know how to change a wheel bearing on a 97 honda accord. ik its not a toyota.. but if anyone could help me id really appreciate. it looks about like the same assembly as my tacoma but im not sure. its on my girlfriends car and its getting pretty bad. i plan on doing it tonight if anyone can give me some advice.
thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
a guy i know that works at napa said it just bolts in. and he knows what he's knows alot about that stuff. thats whats confusing me tho ive seen on the internet it needs to be pressed in/out but the bearing i have had 4 bolt holes and its a small assembly thing. we have a press in our shop so pressing them isnt a big deal im just not exactly sure how to go about it
Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Haha right up my alley, I'm an accord guru I had two accords before the taco.

The picture you posted is the hub assembly with the bearing included. If you have that, then to remove it, you will need to remove those bolts in the illustration above on the backside of the knuckle, then attach a slide hammer to the lugs. Believe me, GET A SLIDE HAMMER! it makes life way easier. chances are that assembly will be "stuck" in the knuckle pretty good and a slide hammer is the only way to get the proper leverage to knock it loose.

Be careful, I have had a wheel bearing seperate on me when doing that, then you have find another way to get the hub assembly out of the knuckle.

Also do yourself a favor and loosen the 4 bolts that attach the brake rotor to the hub BEFORE you attempt to do anything else. Be very careful as they are shallow bolt heads. I have rounded one off before and couldn't remove the rotor..that was a bad day. Lol when I sold my accord it had one new rotor and one old rotor on it.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
thanks for that info, i started working on it tonight and i cant figure how to get onto the bolts on the back side of the hub assembly. i got one losened but the rest i cant get onto enought. a guy ik said i should take out the lower ball joint and that should give me more room. any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, you can pop the lower ball joint loose. Remove the brake caliper bracket also. I remember two of them being kind of a bitch to get to.