Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Thinking of trading my Taco

Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking of trading my Taco

Well, with the odd noises my truck has been making lately I've been contemplating trading it for something else. Also, my gas mileage has been bugging me. I had looked at a Mazda3 (5 door), Corolla XRS, Civics, Nissan Altima's and a few other vehicles... and then it hit me.

I'm going to be getting a new apartment in May when I get financial aide, and that apartment is less than a mile from my college so I will be biking to and from school and saving gas (which is where most of my money currently goes), and work is not that far neither. I've also gotten into trail riding my bikes lately, as well as me still liking fishing camping and other random bs...

I'm considering trading my '05 Taco for a 1st gen double cab, preferably a TRD (and if its a Prerunner doing a 4x4 conversion down the road). They are affordable to me (unlike a 2nd gen Taco DC) and I prefer the way they look. just uncertain about size. I'm 6"2 and 220lbs, so I'm not exactly a little guy but my '05 seems perfect for me.

What do y'all think, trade the '05 for a 1st gen or keep my '05?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
keep the 05! The mileage wont matter if you're not gonna drive it much.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
trade the 2nd gen for a first gen......you'll be happy ya did. best decision i made. you will miss the power of the 4.0, but you'll get used to the 3.4 if thats what you end up with....the dc's only have the 3.4.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Is your 05 paid for?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
Dang liberals.
tacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomaprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an '01 DC PreRunner TRD OR. Great truck, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. Heck, you'd probably get a little extra cash, too, by going with an older truck.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
Is your 05 paid for?
The '05 is fully paid for.

It's got a lot of annoying noises that it's making as of late which is making me very nervous. I could figure out whats wrong, fix the truck and just keep it... Hell, We've been together for nearly 30K miles now... Lotta memories with the '05 as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
If the current taco is paid for...Keep it...If you get an older vehical it will make weird noises aswell.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
You're going to lose your ass on the trade. Do the math... say you give up just $2k on the trade...

And say you gain an average of 3mpg in the 1st Gen (go from 16mpg to 19mpg on average - which you won't).

It'll take you almost 76,500 miles to make up the $2k you lost on the trade (using $2.65/gal for gas)
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mwild's Tacoma Gallery
i traded inmy 08 dclb for a 04 extra cab and i have no regrets at all. i am 6'2" 210. i went form 15 mpg to 20+ mpg
Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
my '05 seems perfect for me.
You said it all right there. You'd be nuts to trade it for anything.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #11

Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Damn Matt, you're pretty convincing.

I love my '05, but its got issues.

From 5-15mph I get an annoying squeak that I think is dirt or a rock somewhere in my suspension, then I have the odd noise that was thought to be my oil pump (haven't checked my ujoint and tranny yet though), and now I'm hearing an odd sound coming from what sounds like my muffler. And I've noticed my wheel is slightly turned to the left to keep my truck going straight, and if I let off the wheel my truck pulls hard to the right. So an alignment is needed... God I hate making minimum wage. Can barely afford food and gas right now, no idea where I'm gonna get the money to fix the Taco up.

Honestly, if I could just get rid of all the little weird issues with my truck I'd be perfectly happy with it.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Dude if you're making minimum wage and can barely afford food and gas then why you not driving something cheaper? I'm sure you can sell it and purchase something cheaper and have extra money left over.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #13

mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
Damn Matt, you're pretty convincing.

I love my '05, but its got issues.

From 5-15mph I get an annoying squeak that I think is dirt or a rock somewhere in my suspension, then I have the odd noise that was thought to be my oil pump (haven't checked my ujoint and tranny yet though), and now I'm hearing an odd sound coming from what sounds like my muffler. And I've noticed my wheel is slightly turned to the left to keep my truck going straight, and if I let off the wheel my truck pulls hard to the right. So an alignment is needed... God I hate making minimum wage. Can barely afford food and gas right now, no idea where I'm gonna get the money to fix the Taco up.

Honestly, if I could just get rid of all the little weird issues with my truck I'd be perfectly happy with it.
Every problem (except the possible tranny issue & the alignment) is something you can do yourself w/ the help of Tacomaworld. Even if you paid somebody else to do it all, you'd still be saving lots of money over getting rid of your truck and getting another.

Yes, making min. wage sucks, but if your truck is completely paid for, then it's not like you'd be saving money by getting out of a payment. Also, I think somebody else said it, but you're not going to find a sqeak-free older car... Tacoma or otherwise.

Get your alignment fixed... that's wearing out your tires. The other things are probably just little weekend projects.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #14
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post

Yes, making min. wage sucks, but if your truck is completely paid for, then it's not like you'd be saving money by getting out of a payment. Also, I think somebody else said it, but you're not going to find a sqeak-free older car... Tacoma or otherwise.

Get your alignment fixed... that's wearing out your tires. The other things are probably just little weekend projects.
Dude that's jus bad advice... Thinking only in terms of monthly payments... Typical American mindset...

For what the 05 taca is worth, he can surely find a reliable used car with better mpg (since he can barely pay for gas and food) and have money left over for savings.