Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Snow driving

Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Snow driving

School me on driving in light snow

i have lived in the south my entire life...i've seen snow only a handful of times, and driven in it even less...with most of those times in my truck

however...tonite we're supposed to get 2-4" and i have to work...any tips for driving the crown vic in the snow?

this is some training we dont get

policy states that all non-priority calls will have to either be taken by phone or held until the streets clear up, however we still have to respond to priority calls...and given the volume of such calls lately, theres a good chance i'll be attempting to run code in the snow tonite...and i could use some hints to keep my ass wheels down and on the road
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Easy on the gas always.

Smooth turns, starts, and stops is the way to go.

If you start to slide, by no means should you hit the brakes... Take foot of gas and your car will gain traction... Meanwhile, steer in the direction you want to go (called countersteering).

Slow down.

If you get stuck, rock your vehicle out.

Be sure your vehicle is ready for winter (check battery, get a snow/ice scraper, leave wiper blades lifted up when parked - makes it easier to clean off windows)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

this could get interesting...i got the hang of countersteering, however running code usually involves hard on the gas...hard on the brakes...and going fast

ill be sure to take it easy tonite
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
If you start slipping going uphill don't mash the gas, keep steady.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
EBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really niceEBBS03 is just really nice

Name: Rob
EBBS03's Tacoma Gallery
Don't stop on a hill.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to remember is if you have an Automatic, shift in to a lower gear so the car dont shift on you while your going up hill,into corners or down hill. This way you can maintain your speed more and the car is not doing it.
If the car shifts it can make your back tires break loose, causing you to spin.
Shifting into a lower gear you can feather the throttle more and the transmission wont shift on ya.
Not sure if you can but see if you can run studded tires or chains. Up in Northern Cali. The HWY Patrols cars and Local PD's all had to have chains on when they have more than 4" of snow on the ground.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i live in SC

studded tires and chains do not exist and next week it will prob be 60*

ill be using the same old goodyears i have on there now
Old 02-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
Take it out to an empty parking lot and see how it handles. Thats the best way to learn without killing anyone
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

weather reports are now predicting up to 4 whopping inches...

i'll be sure to let yall know how it goes
Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
TRIFECTA!!!
swise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to beholdswise is a splendid one to behold

swise's Tacoma Gallery
I will gladly give you some of my snow - I have not seen my mailbox for 2 weeks now.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1/327th 101st ABN
Name: Rik
XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
Ride with the window down in case to have to jump out! Start slow and be careful approaching intersections; slow down farther back on approach...been years since I had a 2 wheel drive, can't remember much...perhaps you could find a set of cable chains at Wally Weird, lotta peeps use those...take a camera w/ you, could be interesting...
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
saltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant futuresaltshaker has a brilliant future

Name: johnny
saltshaker's Tacoma Gallery
try to only be doing one thing at a time if possible, if you are on the gas or brake don't be steering, if you are steering don't be on the gas or brake.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
try to only be doing one thing at a time if possible, if you are on the gas or brake don't be steering, if you are steering don't be on the gas or brake.
thats a good practice regardless
Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
drive slow and use common sense and easy manouvers you didnt cause the emergency so you aint no help if you cant get there

we had a 15 minute response on the engine last time it snowed and when i got in my wreck it took the trooper 2hours to come from across town
Old 02-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
do donuts in every parking lot u encounter, and drive with ur emergency flashers on
Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
"Loud Tires Can Save Lives"
91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

91Toyotabogger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
this could get interesting...i got the hang of countersteering, however running code usually involves hard on the gas...hard on the brakes...and going fast

ill be sure to take it easy tonite
Does your department supply chains they are giving out chains here?
Old 02-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
"Loud Tires Can Save Lives"
91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed91Toyotabogger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

91Toyotabogger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i live in SC

studded tires and chains do not exist and next week it will prob be 60*

ill be using the same old goodyears i have on there now
use the traction control...like usual and just don't get the weight of the vehicle down hill (motor) wont be able to back up..found that out in the median of Highway 64 in the mud on a ride along
Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

chains

i survived...without chains...no traction control to turn on/off in the interceptor...

got squirrely a couple times but nothing major...kept my wheels in the ruts for the most part until things started to ice early this morning at which point i began avoiding ruts

shifting down into 2nd or 1st gear was the biggest help
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #20
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

chains

i survived...without chains...no traction control to turn on/off in the interceptor...

got squirrely a couple times but nothing major...kept my wheels in the ruts for the most part until things started to ice early this morning at which point i began avoiding ruts

shifting down into 2nd or 1st gear was the biggest help
yeah I use the downshift at times myself, when we have snow here in the New England! Oh that was two months ago!
Glad you made it