Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

got pulled over for no mud flaps..

Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
got pulled over for no mud flaps..

and it kinda pisses me off. i got a warning for it. makes me wonder because jeeps dont come with flaps and some of them a jacked with rock throwing tires and they arent required to have any flaps...

anybody have a thought or opinion about this?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
No way, get real
silvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud ofsilvertaco82 has much to be proud of

Name: Mike
silvertaco82's Tacoma Gallery
thats retarded
Old 02-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thank you guys! makes me happy to know that im not the only person that finds things like that absolutely f***ing retarded

but in seriousness the cop was nice, but he didnt pull me over for any traffic violation which makes me also wonder because i thought things like that were secondary offenses and they first had to pull you over for breaking a traffic violation
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Chonda is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
Chonda's Tacoma Gallery
did you get a ticket? thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard to. some officer of the law must of been reallllllly bored
Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

doug355r's Tacoma Gallery
Was it in Tempe or another city? What cross streets?

here is the law: http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00958-01.htm

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.
B. The splash guards:
1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.
2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.
3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.
4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.
5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.
6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.
C. This section does not apply to:
1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.
3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

So if you are lifted, you need them. If its stock, you don't. Looks like you are lifted, so you need them.

Take the stock ones and cut them down to only a few inches
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Always Lost
3volution05 is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt.
Name: Lee
3volution05's Tacoma Gallery
And this is why I try to avoid going to AZ, they dont let anything slide I have 3 window tint tickets from just driving through AZ.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Almost there

Though I have never gotten written up for my 20% windhiwls and limo driver passenger tint, it was just the flaps and I don't understand it. Why do trucks need them (when lifted) and jeeps don't? Trucks at least have that foot and a half of bed to "project" or whatever the debri at a lower level and the jeeps just have nothing there to protect it.

It was in mesa on the asu polytech campus and it was a asu cop, I think he was just bored
Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
doug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of lightdoug355r is a glorious beacon of light

doug355r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
It was in mesa on the asu polytech campus and it was a asu cop, I think he was just bored

Thats your reason right there. After almost getting arrested in Tempe by asu police, I decided to make friends with as many asu cops when i was out at polytech.

To be honest the law is the law. No matter how dumb it is, its your responsibility to know if your breaking it. I know it sounds dumb. I actually just looked up the laws for AZ today because I was panning on taking my mud flaps off tonight...lol

BTW What are you studying out at polytech?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.
eight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shedeight3one_offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
eight3one_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eight3one_offroad
Lame, are you running wide rim's plus tires? I know mine is 16x8 with 4.5 BS it sticks out a little bit past the fenders but the five O's have not said anything. Sorry to hear that. Dumb cops have nothing else to do!

- Rich
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Trucks have been getting tickets for that ever since I have been driving out here. In fact, a buddy of mine was written a warning a couple years ago. Its the law. You may disagree with it, but it is what it is. Most cops dont stop someone for it, but its an officers discretion to do so. Being as our State is dam near broke, the Governor has been asking local PD's to write citations for anything they can. Anything over 5 mph, etc. MOST cops are not doing that.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
Almost there

I made friends with a tempe police sargeant, him and I played golf and he said if I ever needed anything just throw his name out there luckily never had to use it
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
my question to you then is why arent jeep cited for the same thing? just becuase they dont come stock with them?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Almost there

I guess I'm ok with putting the flaps on. I cut about 6" off the stock ones so it won't look too awesome haha
Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Basically, if the suspension on a truck is not stock, then it requires flaps. Meaning it's lifted. The reason why jeeps don't have to worry about it, is because they are not considered trucks. I believe they are considered SUVs.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvtak View Post
my question to you then is why arent jeep cited for the same thing? just becuase they dont come stock with them?
That was my question but in a subtle way. Anyone want to answer or comment on that?

Also I am doing what obama wants me to do, gett better gas mileage out of my truck to help with gas and blah blah. With flaps on I get under 20 mpg freeway and without I'm close to 24 mpg, that's a huge difference! Think that would hold up as a valid arguement?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #16
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug355r View Post
Thats your reason right there. After almost getting arrested in Tempe by asu police, I decided to make friends with as many asu cops when i was out at polytech.

To be honest the law is the law. No matter how dumb it is, its your responsibility to know if your breaking it. I know it sounds dumb. I actually just looked up the laws for AZ today because I was panning on taking my mud flaps off tonight...lol

BTW What are you studying out at polytech?
I'm studying mechanical engineering
Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #17
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
That was my question but in a subtle way. Anyone want to answer or comment on that?

Also I am doing what obama wants me to do, gett better gas mileage out of my truck to help with gas and blah blah. With flaps on I get under 20 mpg freeway and without I'm close to 24 mpg, that's a huge difference! Think that would hold up as a valid arguement?
Jeeps are not considered trucks.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #18
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #19
Almost there

^ sorry cmack as I was responding you posted that answer above. In any case that that's stupid for jeeps
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #20
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
No worries. I just didn't want it to be overlooked. I went through the mudflap laws when the Ranger was getting the SAS done. IIRC that's how jeeps get away without having to have mudflaps by law.