1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

H1N1 = Toyota rep

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ryhar85, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:51 AM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    So has anyone else noticed the similarities between the swine flu "epidemic" and the Toyota bash recently? Maybe its just me, but I think that the people who rushed out and threw mass amounts of money at the pharmaceutical companies to vaccinate themselves against a flu that is about a thousand times less dangerous than the regular flu, are the same types of people that are swearing off Toyota and throwing mass amounts of money at 'Detroit', even though Toyotas are still some of the best vehicles on the road today.

In both of these cases, there was/is a mass media frenzy driven to get consumers to spend their money where the US media wanted it to(drug companies and domestic auto makers). Both of these scenarios are based on a very small amount of actual incidents, and a very large amount of hype! And in as little as a year, both of these cases will have blown over (except for a random eccentric blowhard here or there) to the point that one would be thought ridiculous to spend their money on an H1N1 vaccine, or continue to badmouth Toyota as a result of year old, hyped up, bullshit.

All auto manufacturers have their hiccups, but by comparison, Toyota still seems to have a lot less than most others. Toyota has always been, and will continue to be one of the most reliable automakers on the road. This is why people buy them, lots of them. Don't believe the hype that the media creates to sway your decision - don't be a sheep. Do your own research. Don't let the "educated decision" die.

So if anyone wants to buy into the media BS, that is fine. Enjoy your self inflicted virus, and your Ford.

Just my humble opinion.;)

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:14 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Here's some other things of late that bother me;

-The earthquake in Chile was old news right after it happened only because of Haiti's. I haven't seen one 'Text Chile to 99999' ad yet.

-Same with GM's recall of 1.3 million vehicles for power steering issues. This barely got a fart of attention.

Personally, I am glad that Toyota got hit hard for their issues and that the issue received the attention that it did. I just don't think its quite right that timing has so much to do with how things played out.

What if GM's recall came out before Toyota's? Would theirs be 'worse' in the public eye?

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM
    yotabeast505

yotabeast505 The Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    NE Hights ABQ NM
    Vehicle:
    THE BEAST
    here we go. Ford 9" rear after breaking 5 sets of gears in the stock yota 8.8, 5.13 gears with a detroit hard locker, 63" chevy leafs and custom hangers, sky's front spring hanger with sky's extream hysteer and PSC hydro assist ram and PSC pump. welded front spyders in the f-550 front dana 60 with warn hubs, pico brake lines and hoses, elecrtic fan, TRD supercharger with URD 2.1 Pully, URD Map-ECU2 and cage built by me. wide band a/f by inovations, lots and lots more...........
    at least its a recall and they arnt denieing it totaly lol

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:24 AM
    ryhar85

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    I completely agree. Of course there is truth to it, and it is a problem, but they are fixing it. They effed up. But look at their reputation in the past(especially compared with other auto makers), I believe once this is all over/fixed, it will go back to that. You have obviously done your own research to come to your conclusion. And that's all I ask. The people that swear off toyota based on what they see on the evening news are the ones that irritate me. The US market has a lot to gain by pushing the negative hype. Just something to think about.

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Yeah, it seems to be hyped quite a bit. Good post.

Especially in regards to politics.

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    ryhar85

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
  7. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  8. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Some 700 people were killed in Chile whereas 100,000 to 200,000 were killed in Haiti.

9. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    X2 Chile is also a stable country that is prepared for earth quakes with rescue teams and better building codes.

Products Discussed in

To Top