Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Concept

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Porsche 918 Spyder Hybrid Concept

Want!

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...spyder-concept

Quote:
Porsche's Carrera GT supercar has been out of production for a few years now, and its numbers have been rapidly diminishing as tuners and ill-talented drivers do their worst. At this year's Geneva Motor Show, Porsche is planning a 918 Spyder Concept that looks staged to replace it, and though it doesn't share much in common with the previous supercar, it builds on its spirit with a huge dose of modern technology and style.

Powered by a 6.2-liter V-8 engine and a hybrid drive system, the 918 Spyder Concept could preview a new supercar from the company. We're not expecting it for another year or two at the earliest, however, as its 9,200-rpm, 500-horsepower output and 78-mpg efficiency are sure to prove difficult to render in production. Performance isn't hampered by the hybrid drive system, however: 3.2 seconds to 62 mph, 198 mph top speed, and a promised Nurburgring Nordschleife lap time of under 7:30--faster than the Carrera GT that preceded it. Electric motors on the front and rear axles contribute 218 horsepower to the mix.

The power is sent to the rear wheels via a seven-speed PDK dual-clutch unit, while the front wheels are driven by a fixed transmission ratio.
Drivers lucky enough to hop behind the wheel can choose from four driving modes, including E-Drive, which maximizes efficiency by using electric power only for up to 16 miles. Hybrid mode uses both systems in conjunction to deliver an efficienct around-town ride. Sport Hybrid mode adds some spunk to the system, using Torque Vectoring to improve the car's dynamics further. Finally, there's Race Hybrid mode, which pulls out all stops and maximizes performance of both systems. The hybrid system becomes a push-to-pass system in Race Hybrid mode, helping to boost power for overtaking.

A high-tech exterior of lightweight materials is complemented by the latest in Porsche interior design and features, indicating the car is in fact headed down a production path despite its current concept-car status. Two other Porsche hybrids will join the 918 Spyder on the stand at Geneva, including the Cayenne hybrid and the 911 GT3 R Hybrid race car, which uses a F1-derived KERS kinetic hybrid system.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice but I'll stick with a Mustang. I don't like the new hybrid stuff.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
don't know how well the actual stats will match the projections, but the renderings look pretty cool!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i dont want a hybrid in my high performance anything.not my car,truck,race boat, hell not even in my lawnmower.it does look sharp
Old 03-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
i dont want a hybrid in my high performance anything.not my car,truck,race boat, hell not even in my lawnmower.it does look sharp
Agreed, they need to make a gas powered option in that style. Would be sick.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One horsepower per kilo is the Ferrari hybrid rule. This 599 HY-KERShybrid has the rule applied. In other words, whatever any hybrid system costs in weight is offset by a corresponding power upgrade. Whew, so it won't be slow, then. Good.
It's mildly surprising that this car exists, but Ferrari is no different to other car manufacturers in that it has to be Seen To Be Doing Something in environmental terms, despite the fact that such a small-volume manufacturer contributes relatively little to global warming. In fact, you could argue that The Car in general contributes little, but we'll leave that alone for now. Ferrari has to play the game.
It's green. That's obvious. It's also fast. But most of all, this 599 is impressive technically. In fact, my impression of Ferrari as a company has been boosted by the fact that this machine exists. One of Ferrari's chief engineers told me that if they were to put it on sale today, the hybrid system would double the standard 599's price. Cutting edge, in other words - because Ferrari's demands for the tech are demanding indeed. It won't be on sale for at least another five years.
Batteries are skinny (120mm thick) and highly efficient lithium-ion jobs lying flat on the undertray. The motor is neatly integrated with the dual-clutch transmission at the back of the car. It is controlled by a neat electronics module located beneath the boot floor - not an inch of boot space has been lost, though. In fact there's more, because the standard 12-volt battery has been taken out of the boot and its function replaced by the module.
The hybrid 599 has regenerative braking and stop-start, and the net result is a 36 percent improvement in fuel consumption (and roughly the same in emissions) over the standard V12. And an 80kg weight gain is neatly offset by an 80bhp upgrade in power via that electric motor. There are other clever things going on too, like using said motor to fill torque holes in the V12's power delivery. They're really thinking about how this can work for a Ferrari.
Shame the F1-transfer of KERS regeneration tech is now a dead duck, because none of the F1 teams are using KERS this year. And when I asked an engineer about whether he'll ever work on an all-electric Ferrari, he said politely ‘I'd prefer not to think about it'.

I rather have a 599 Hy KERS
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/f...eva-2010-02-02