Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

What's a 1990 Jeep Comanche worth?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Alan-in-NC will become famous soon enoughAlan-in-NC will become famous soon enough

Name: Alan
Alan-in-NC's Tacoma Gallery
What's a 1990 Jeep Comanche worth?

Hi All,

I recently purchased a '08 Tacoma and am selling my 1990 Jeep Comanche. I purchased it new, have about every receipt for anything ever done to it. It runs fine, just passed inspection and it still used a few times a week. It has 177K on it. Factory stock condition, no mods or off-roading, just used for a small business I used to have, and to take my dogs to the vet. Inside is clean, no seat rips, dash is good. Desperately needs a paint job, no rust. No major engine work, just a complete clutch system replacement about 10 years ago. Has an old aluminum camper shell, doesn't leak. Has the "PowerTech Six", 4.0L with 5 speed manual (5th gear is overdrive). Has the factory 10-spoke custom wheels. Doesn't use a drop of oil, never has. Upgraded A/C to use the newer refrigerant gas.

I'm asking because I put it up on Craigslist for about the KBB value ($1000) and was immediately emailed by several people that I was asking too little for it, so I unlisted it. Their opinions varied all over the place, so I'm not sure what it may be worth. I may put it on eBay or take to our AutoFair here at the Charlotte Motor Speedway next month.

Obviously it's worth different prices to different people, but I figured some of you probably have a better idea of what a starting price might be.

Thanks in advance!
Alan

Old 03-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a cool little truck. I would say 2000 - 2500 is a good price.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Thats a cool little truck. I would say 2000 - 2500 is a good price.
id say if it's auction style like ebay where the price goes up, put your reserve around that.

if it's bargaining style like craigs list wherre the price goes down with negotiations, i'd start it closer to 3K. good luck with the sale.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Alan-in-NC will become famous soon enoughAlan-in-NC will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys. That gives me some idea of where to start.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Not much of a jeep fan, but if it runs good then a $1000 is a good deal.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #6

Wink It sold for $3525

Turns out it sold for $3525.00 on ebay this past Sunday. I delivered it today and got cash for it. His dad worked in upper management for Kaiser-Jeep, and so this guy collects old Jeeps. Talk about fortunate timing and location!

He told me that the one owner, recently inspected and the fact I kept all my service receipts, convinced him of spending a bit more for this one. So we were both pleased
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Sparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Sparky4.0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi View Post

Any questions?
hey i have a heep!!! all that shyt broke 2. go one tons
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Sparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan-in-NC View Post
Turns out it sold for $3525.00 on ebay this past Sunday. I delivered it today and got cash for it. His dad worked in upper management for Kaiser-Jeep, and so this guy collects old Jeeps. Talk about fortunate timing and location!

He told me that the one owner, recently inspected and the fact I kept all my service receipts, convinced him of spending a bit more for this one. So we were both pleased
congrats on the sale
Old 03-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any questions?
Given that I had a Cherokee with the 4.0 engine and 5 speed that never gave me a lick of trouble over 168k miles, and my Brother now has it for a daily driver with over 180k miles, and my Brother-in-law has a 4.0 auto Cherokee that we took wheeling last summer, I'd say that you're a tad off base.

I'd own another Jeep in a heartbeat. You just have to make sure that it has the 4.0 engine.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Given that I had a Cherokee with the 4.0 engine and 5 speed that never gave me a lick of trouble over 168k miles, and my Brother now has it for a daily driver with over 180k miles, and my Brother-in-law has a 4.0 auto Cherokee that we took wheeling last summer, I'd say that you're a tad off base.

I'd own another Jeep in a heartbeat. You just have to make sure that it has the 4.0 engine.
Those AMC six bangers were hard to kill. I never had any trouble with it.

From Wikipedia:

"This American Motors Corporation legacy engine was redesigned by Chrysler to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness. The last in the line of the seven main bearing AMC inline sixes, the 4.0 is regarded as one of the best 4x4 off-road engines. The 4.0 AMC six has many after market parts due to its longevity and durability. Many of these engines are known to go more than 300,000 miles (483,000 km) without rebuilding."
Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

I'd seriously consider buying a Rubicon.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I like Comanches. I would love to find a nice Gladiator though.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Schully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the roughSchully is a jewel in the rough

Schully's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any questions?
Well, it has lasted 177k. Doesn't look too broke lol
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any questions?
Have you ever owned one ???

I wheeled with 2 different jeeps for many years and they took all my abuse & then some, including one End-over-End and another flop.....kinda like a timex, kept on ticking. Loved that thing!!!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
seen too many broken off-road and yet my 4-cylinder toyota with 35's kept going. Even had to pull one out once...

Jeep's with 35's would get stuck in the ruts and my ifs equipped toyota with 35's would plow over them with just a 22r and not the v8's they swapped in...

I have been around off-road long enough to justify my decal i proudly place on my back window of my 2010 tacoma!

I would take a toyota pickup over a jeep anytime!!!
sfa > ifs
Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I'd seriously consider buying a Rubicon.
Fuck yea man...those are bad ass! They'll go anywhere! My buddie has one and he beats the shit outta it and he hasn't had 1 problem...Its a 2006 (TJ)...not the new style ( jk )
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #17

Quote:
I just moved my entire house with my Tacoma and I can still off-road!

I doubt the Jeep could even haul the couch...
offroad in the slammed runner in your pic?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
IFS > SFA

I work for a military truck maker and guess what, the military is buying more and more independent suspension systems than straight axles!

They want speed and mobility off-road where straight axles cannot provide this...

I want to be able to do the slow stuff but also if need be the fast off-road stuff...

Straight axle fronts are for old timers!!! hehehe
Well straight axles are better out here because of our terrain...I'm SASing my truck as soon as its paid off...IFS sucks for off roading...the articulation just isn't there

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
LOL at the childish responses. If I was really serious about wheeling I'd get a Jeep over my Taco but the Taco fits more people and if more comfortable on the road. Also I can always get a Jeep and tow it with my Taco. But why would I use a Jeep over a Taco, well because of the wheelbase and SFA. Nothing beats SFA unless you want to go fast over whoops and such.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
LOL at the childish responses. If I was really serious about wheeling I'd get a Jeep over my Taco but the Taco fits more people and if more comfortable on the road. Also I can always get a Jeep and tow it with my Taco. But why would I use a Jeep over a Taco, well because of the wheelbase and SFA.
x2..well put

Rubi's are the way to roll man...I'd like to get one...still keep the Taco of course

But on the other hand i'd rather just save the money and SAS the Taco honestly...and have the best of both worlds!