Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

anyone here a subie enthusiast?

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
rvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to all

Name: cameron
rvcahawaii808's Tacoma Gallery
anyone here a subie enthusiast?

dont flame me if your a subie hater, but i had a few questions

ive been to cars101.com but i cant really find what im looking for.

does anyone know specific differences from the 04,05, and 06 models?

besides the change in body style.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
I like the older Subaru's from the 80's. The XT, XT6, the boxy wagon all just looked clean and simple from the sharp creased panels. The Brat was just plain ol' fun looking. I'm not beyond finding a good Brat with a bad engine, and trying to shoehorn an XT-6 engine and tranny into it.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
SigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shedSigSense is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: STS
SigSense's Tacoma Gallery
I was interested in the possibility of them dropping a diesel in the 2010 Forrester, but have not heard any updates.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
StihlToyota is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
StihlToyota's Tacoma Gallery
I had a '88 wagon....the car ATE water pumps. By the time I traded it in on the '98 Corolla, it had went through 4 water pumps. I bought the car new & did all the required maintenance. But 4 water pumps in 109,000 miles! I did like the flat power curve of the engine though
Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcahawaii808 View Post
dont flame me if your a subie hater, but i had a few questions

ive been to cars101.com but i cant really find what im looking for.

does anyone know specific differences from the 04,05, and 06 models?

besides the change in body style.
I had an 04 WRX prior to the Taco and I still wish I could have both, I loved it.

Anyway, the 04 and 05 are pretty much identical except for (let me see if I can remember it all) the steering wheel is different, my 04 had a 4 spoke MOMO, I think the 05 is MOMO too but it doesn't have the MOMO logo, it has a Subaru logo and it a different design (3 spoke). The interior is a little different from 04 to 05, the 05 dash trim is more silver and is a little more modern looking. There may be more but I don't remember.

The 06 is a lot different though. The front end is different, the motor is a 2.5L vs. 2.0L, the taillights are different, and the list goes on.

Just a bit of advise, don't waste your time trying to make a WRX into an STi, especially the 2.0. I spent a lot of money on mods and when I drove my friend's stock 04 STi my WRX couldn't compare in any aspect be it acceleration, handling, braking you name it, plus it has the 6 spd short throw trans. I should've just got an STi and I would've probably ended up spending the same amount total.

Pm me if you have any more questions.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
rvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaWRX View Post
I had an 04 WRX prior to the Taco and I still wish I could have both, I loved it.

Anyway, the 04 and 05 are pretty much identical except for (let me see if I can remember it all) the steering wheel is different, my 04 had a 4 spoke MOMO, I think the 05 is MOMO too but it doesn't have the MOMO logo, it has a Subaru logo and it a different design (3 spoke). The interior is a little different from 04 to 05, the 05 dash trim is more silver and is a little more modern looking. There may be more but I don't remember.

The 06 is a lot different though. The front end is different, the motor is a 2.5L vs. 2.0L, the taillights are different, and the list goes on.

Just a bit of advise, don't waste your time trying to make a WRX into an STi, especially the 2.0. I spent a lot of money on mods and when I drove my friend's stock 04 STi my WRX couldn't compare in any aspect be it acceleration, handling, braking you name it, plus it has the 6 spd short throw trans. I should've just got an STi and I would've probably ended up spending the same amount total.

Pm me if you have any more questions.
so what youre saying is...just bite the bullet and get the sti. it will be better in the long run. the only thing im confused on is everyone says there is tranny problems on earlier models and im just not sure what they mean. is it weak? or will it fuck up if im like riding it hard?

also, im looking at wagons too, and they dont make those in 05 do they
Old 03-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
ekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of light

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
They made wagons in every year, but only for the WRX, not the STi.

As far as I know the 6spd in the STi has always been pretty reliable. The 5spds are a little more hit and miss depending on your driving habits and power aspirations.

'06 WRX got the 2.5L turbo and better brakes over the 04-05's. If you can't afford a used STi, I'd look at the '06 WRX first.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Rvca, the tranny problems on the 5spd, if i remember correctly mainly affected the 02-03 WRXs. Also if I remember correctly, it was 3rd gear that went out but that was those that had heavy power mods or just didn't know how to shift. I have 2 friends with 02-03s and they have no probs, its more the ones that got abused. The 6spd in the STi is known to be near bulletproof, even more reason to get an STi.

So yes, having had a WRX, I do recommend the STi. It pulls crazy hard and handles like its on rails, stock. Like I said, if I had the $ I'd have an STi and my Taco
Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #9

im looking at this wagon... how does it look?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1961332
Old 04-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Kmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shedKmoney is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
Kmoney's Tacoma Gallery
My dad had a WRX then traded it in for an STi. Never a single problem, solid as a rock, and dangerously fun to drive!

Just my .02.