Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Hide A key

Old 04-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Hide A key

Does anyone know if using a magnetic hide a key box will damage the programming in a key with the embedded immobilizer chip? Or does anyone have a better idea for stashing a spare key on a 2010 Tacoma?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if it will screw up the programming but if your worried about locking yourself out, you could just get a regular key made to get back into the truck. Hide-a-key would work just fine then.
I have been mulling this over myself as my last truck (F150 Supercrew) had a keypad on the door. Don't have that option anymore.
Hope that helps. Ken
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
i30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shedi30nes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i30nes's Tacoma Gallery
On my other vehicle I removed the magnet, then riveted it to the a spot on the vehicle. No worries bout it comin off
Old 04-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'd take the Trucks approach and drill a hole in the skidplate or something then use a wing nut to hold the key.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'd take the Trucks approach and drill a hole in the skidplate or something then use a wing nut to hold the key.

Might not go with the skid plate though. Lessen you want to crawl around underneath the truck when you screwed up by losing or locking yourself out to start with. My luck is I would be gettin unstuck and then have to crawl under a nice muddy truck to find my spare when some dipstick who was helping me accidentally locked the truck when he got out...
lol
Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
Don't know if it will screw up the programming but if your worried about locking yourself out, you could just get a regular key made to get back into the truck. Hide-a-key would work just fine then.
I have been mulling this over myself as my last truck (F150 Supercrew) had a keypad on the door. Don't have that option anymore.
Hope that helps. Ken

Thanks everybody, I think I'll just stash a regular key in the Hide A Key and then stash the factory key inside the vehicle somewhere.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what the reach is for the chip sensor in our trucks but I don't think it's a good idea to have the chipped key anywhere near your truck. If you do, someone can simply stick a scredriver in your ignition turn it, and it'll run...

I'm think that wrapping the key in aluminum foil then placing it in the hide-a-key will prevent the sensor from reading it.. Could be wrong though.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
When I got my 06 I got 4 keys. Two of them won't start the Truck however will unlock the door. One is metal the other is plastic and in the form of a credit card that you can carry in your wallet.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjohn View Post
When I got my 06 I got 4 keys. Two of them won't start the Truck however will unlock the door. One is metal the other is plastic and in the form of a credit card that you can carry in your wallet.

Wow, they treated you right. I had to make extra copies so that I had a hidey spare just in case. I like the credit card one. Maybe I'll see about getting something like that.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I just carry a spare in my wallet.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
lol. Kinda overkill just for a spare key ain't it.....
Old 04-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
lol. Kinda overkill just for a spare key ain't it.....
I actually don't keep anything in it. Right now. But still. I could tape an extra remote to the inside if I really want to. It's underneath my bed and therefore, concealed
Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
I just tie my spare key up under the back of the truck well hidden. The magnetic holders tend to fall off for me.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Member Extraordinaire

cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
I don't know what the reach is for the chip sensor in our trucks but I don't think it's a good idea to have the chipped key anywhere near your truck. If you do, someone can simply stick a scredriver in your ignition turn it, and it'll run...

I'm think that wrapping the key in aluminum foil then placing it in the hide-a-key will prevent the sensor from reading it.. Could be wrong though.

Yeah I checked out the reach last night. It seems like I can't find anyplace In or near the truck to stash a key without the chip working. Maybe I'll find some kind of shielded box and put it under the hood and carry a plain key in my wallet to get in and open the hood.