Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

ball joint??

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
red neck toy is on a distinguished road
Name: earle
red neck toy's Tacoma Gallery
ball joint??

my girlfriend has a 97 honda accord and i think the lower ball joint needs replacing but not sure.
if i lift up on the wheel there is movement in the ball joint, but no side to side or up and down movement.
should it be replaced? im not an expert on ball joints.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an accord guru I had three accords before my taco, my last accord was turboed so I know a thing or two about them.

Is it popping? what makes you think the ball join is bad?

when you say there is movement are you saying you can move the knuckle?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that sounds like it might be bad if the boot is stretching. It shouldn't do that. I would try separating the joint from the lower control arm to see how much play it has.. Take out the cotter pin, remove the 17mm castle nut and then get a ball joint fork or some 2 jaw gear pullers(what I use) and separate it from the LCA. There should be very little play in it.