1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ball joint??

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by red neck toy, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Apr 29, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    red neck toy

red neck toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    my girlfriend has a 97 honda accord and i think the lower ball joint needs replacing but not sure.
    if i lift up on the wheel there is movement in the ball joint, but no side to side or up and down movement.
    should it be replaced? im not an expert on ball joints. ​

2. Apr 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I'm an accord guru :D I had three accords before my taco, my last accord was turboed so I know a thing or two about them.

Is it popping? what makes you think the ball join is bad?

when you say there is movement are you saying you can move the knuckle?

3. Apr 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    How many miles are on it?

4. Apr 29, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    red neck toy

red neck toy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    earle
    adams center, New York
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl lifted
    -3in toytech lift -33" x 11.5" firestone destination m/t -16" x 10" mickey thompson classic II. -cut and boxed in body mounts so no more rubbing!! -black headlight covers -anytime foglight mod -35%tint front -5% over stock on back -custom built bull bar -mossy oak camo seat covers -k&n cold air intake -tornado gas saver -dual straight pipes. only tacoma i've seen with them and it sounds really good. (but not if you dont like loud) lol.. soon to come: -black headlight mod -aftermarket grill -blacked out emblems -headers -new shocks and leafsprings - considering all pro front bumper
    there doesnt seem to be any noises, and i can see the rubber boot stretch out when i lift the entire steering knuckle

5. Apr 29, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Yeah that sounds like it might be bad if the boot is stretching. It shouldn't do that. I would try separating the joint from the lower control arm to see how much play it has.. Take out the cotter pin, remove the 17mm castle nut and then get a ball joint fork or some 2 jaw gear pullers(what I use) and separate it from the LCA. There should be very little play in it.

Products Discussed in

To Top