1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long term outdoor tire storage solutions

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ouyin2000, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    So, I'm purchasing some winter tires for my Tacoma, and due to lack of space, I can't store my stock tires indoors. I've had an idea for getting some Tire Bags/Tire Totes, but I'm specifically looking for ones that are fully enclosed, to keep out the elements.

So far the only ones I've seen are used more for just carrying the tires, or storing indoors where weather is not a factor.

By the way, it gets down to -40 degrees C around here some days, so I'm not really thrilled about doing this, and would much prefer indoor storage, but thus is the nature of the beast.

Any ideas?

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
  3. Oct 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    The Wombat

The Wombat Active Member

Member:
    Mass.
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4WD 4-cyl
    none
    Maybe just a plywood box? Cheap and easy - little more durable than a bag too. If you leave it up against the house, it may even absorb some ambient heat.

4. Oct 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Plywood box built off the ground (maybe 2x4 on end of 4x4 skids), silicone the edges and cover with a tarp? When it snows, leave it on the box, it's an insulator and will at least keep the temp inside the box somewhat consistant.

5. Oct 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    -40 c!!!!!!! ouch

6. Oct 20, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    We've stored our summer rims/tires on pallets (free) in the plastic swap over bags at the tire shop (free) up here in Vermont with no problems.

Wrap the pallet with a couple of tarps/bungees & some moth balls to keep mice out.

If you want secure, then a plywood box with a lock. I would still use moth balls if kept outdoors.

7. Oct 20, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
  8. Oct 20, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Thanks for the help so far guys. I did find a business in town that stores tires in a temp controlled warehouse for $9.99/month. So I will probably go that route. I'm mostly concerned about the extreme cold degrading the rubber, as opposed to someone stealing them. If it comes to it, I'll just stack them on a pallet off the cement.

9. Oct 20, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Extreme cold won't degrade the rubber. Just keep the tire dry (to retard mould or mildew) and protected from UV. Black garbage bag will work.

Products Discussed in

To Top