1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I improve the IFS or go SAS on my Pickup?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by luk8272, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    So thats kind of where I'm at.

SAS:
    I have an 81 toy front axle hub to hub.
    I have a 78 Bronco, I don't know if I can use these springs for the front of the Toy or not.

Now for the IFS I was thinking a mid travel setup possibly.

I can see a reason for both. The SAS simply because I have a few parts already I know its not much but its a start. Honestly I don't wheel that often because of work and the trails I have hit have always been within my and my trucks ability. Hence the reason for a trail rig. But honestly I think a good IFS setup would be plenty. The SAS would be alot of work no doubt. The IFS would be simple remove and replace.

Lets have some thoughts.

In reading the responses I have decided to add this:

I own a 2007 Tacoma, my daily driver with TC Upper control Arms, 3" lift, 33's. I wheel this truck as often as I can but my job and where I live limit me. I have taken this truck to its limits and decided to keep it as a daily driver.

This thread is about my 1990 Toyota pickup truck. I either want to do a SAS or a long travel on it. I was wanting people opinions on what they think would be best for the 1990 pickup.

This post will be added to my first post on here to help with the confusion.

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    If you don't plan on hardcore wheeling my vote it to stay with the IFS

3. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    seems to me like you have already made up your mind.

4. Jun 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    x2 sounds like your leaning more towards the IFS, go with what you think will fit you best. And either way you'll still have that SAS still sitting around if you change your mind...alotta work though to change your mind :eek:

5. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:18 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Actually I was set on doing the SAS, until yesterday when I came across a 4runner with a long travel setup. Kind of got me thinking. The whole reason I got a trail rig was because I was pushing my 07 too hard its still my daily driver and 1 side of dents is enough damage on this truck, however I still want to do more wheeling. I supose i'll keep collecting parts for the SAS and plan to move ahead with improved travel for the IFS.

6. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:30 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    If your referring to a SAS on your 07 then you can forget the front Toy axle. It's not even close to being wide enough.

7. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    No the SAS/LT would be for my 1990 Pickup/trail rig.

8. Jun 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    x2

9. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    X3

10. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    If its for a non dd trail rig I say go for it, but if you don't wheel it much, what's the point?

11. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I own a 2007 Tacoma, my daily driver with TC Upper control Arms, 3" lift, 33's. I wheel this truck as often as I can but my job and where I live limits me. I have taken this truck to its limits and decided to keep it as a daily driver.

This thread is about my 1990 Toyota pickup truck. I either want to do a SAS or a long travel on it. I was wanting people opinions on what they think would be best for the 1990 pickup.

This post will be added to my first post on here to help with the confusion.

12. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I would say SAS because you already have the axle and a sloid axle will preform on the rocks way better then long travel. IMO long travle is for high speed off roading and a solid axle for slower rock crawling type of off road. Also on your 90 pickup its pretty cheap to do a swap.

13. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    As far as pricing goes I don't see much difference. Money wise I say SAS.
    LT: $999
    Blazeland Long Arm Kit: $999 Plus S.& H. and tax if applicable.
    1. Modified / Rebuilt L.C.A.s w/ new poly bushings
    2. Modified / Rebuilt U.C.A.s w/ new poly bushings
    3. U.C.A. Extension Brackets w/ Hardware
    4. Hex Bar Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves w/ Jam Nuts
    5. D.O.T. 18" S.S. Brakelines w/ Hardware

[​IMG]
    * Core deposit for LCAs and UCAs $200. Refundable apon reciept of your cores. Cores must be recieved within 30 days of your Blazeland order arrival. After 30 days deposit goes into forfeiture. Cores must be in complete, undamaged, and rebuildable condition.

Not Included but recommended:
    Torsion Bars:
    Sway-A-Way, Part #1646
    Camel 4x4, Part #TOY026
    Old Man Emu, Part #303003
    To bolt on shocks in the factory location:
    Bilstein 5100, Part #F4-BE5-6582-H5
    (or substitute a shock made for a 4" Drop Bracket lift kit)
    CV Axles:
    1993-1998 T-100 4x4
    [​IMG]

SAS:$999
    IFS Eliminator Kit

$999.00
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of choices on the market for solid axle conversion. So what makes our kits stand out? We feature the highest quality parts and the most complete kit at the best price anywhere.
    Our SAS kits include a front diff armor plate, upper axle gusset wheel bearing and knuckle service kits. Items most others charge extra for. To install your solid axle kit you're going to need a rear matching lift kit, solid front axle from a 79-85 Pickup or 4Runner, and a long spline drive shaft.
    We offer our kits in three different heights. The hangers and shackles included with each kit add one inch of lift. Thus our 3" spring kit has 4" lift and our 4" kit would be 5" of lift.
    Note: On V6 installations, we recommend moving the front hanger forward 3/4". This allows the tie rod to clear the stock 4wd oil pan. It also kicks the shackles forward slightly helping the springs to carry the heavier load of the V6 motor.
    Also See: SAS Parts

SAS Kit Includes:
    • Front Leaf Springs (your choice 3" 4" or 5")
    • High Steer Crossover Steering Kit
    • Front Drop Hanger with Greasable Bolts
    • Greasable 5" Shackles
    • Frame Tubes & Jigs
    • Steering Stabilizer Kit
    • U bolt Flip Kit
    • Shock Hoops (2)
    • Bilstein Shocks (2)
    • Front Brake Lines (2)
    • Vented Rotors (2)
    • Bumpstop Extensions (2)
    • Wheel Spacers (2)
    • Bumpstops (2)
    • Front Axle Gusset
    • Axle Diff Armor
    • Knuckle Service Kit
    • Wheel Bearing Kit (2)
    • Motor Mount Cover Plates
    • Spring Pad
    • Instructions
    Note: Now our front 5" springs are available in a heavy-duty version with a 25% higher spring rate. We have added a 7th leaf and readjusted the length of the leaves to match. If you are running a larger v6 or v8 motor you will appreciate the extra weight carrying capacity of these springs.

Available in the following configurations:
    • IFS Eliminator Kit, 3" Springs, 110001-1-K, $1,199 ON SALE $999
    • IFS Eliminator Kit, 4" Springs, 110002-1-K, $1,199 ON SALE $999

14. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I would go SAS that LT kit looks kinda crappy but i don't know much about LT. if your crawling up ledges and rocks you will be much happier with a solid axle.

15. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    jrider636

jrider636 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    tally,fl
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma prerunner
    maybe im missing something but u already have a straight axle toyota.......y dont u just wheel the '81?

16. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    if you do decide to LT the truck instead of SAS, i'd def go with TC over that blazeland stuff... i realize it's twice the cost, but it's going to be much stronger, durable, and better performing than modified stock parts...

http://www.chaosfab.com/95000BJ.php

17. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Not only that but the LT kit has most of what I need, but all of those extra parts are reccomended and they cost also.

I had all intentions of parting together the front end for the SA, and stumbled across this kit. I have intentions of making it a stock SA for the most part, basically making my 90 like the older SA pickups.

But then In my searches I came across this LT 4runner.
    [​IMG]

18. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I just have the front axle.

Thanks for the link I have never considered LT for my trucks as I thought they were primarily for High speeds and dessert running.

19. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    they are, but you can still have fun with it crawling and hitting trails

i was more trying to steer you towards a better LT kit than the blazeland junk... not so much trying to convince you to go LT

20. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 [OP] Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I like having as much info as possible. Especially when it comes to quality.

Products Discussed in

To Top