1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Corolla owners

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoDawgfan, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Every modern car I've known the steering locks without the key in the ignition, this is the case on a new Corolla manual right?

Late last night got woke up by my dog barking at someone out in my driveway. Went outside to see what was going on as several of my neighbors were out there. Long story short, my neighbors brand new Corolla apparently either left in neutral or jumped out of gear rolled out of their garage turned as it backed down the driveway sharp enough to make a complete U turn and backed into my yard running over the phone box then went forward across the street to the left and rolled down into the back yard of the house across the street and smacked a tree right square in the middle of the front bumper. It was a steep incline and hit pretty hard. Didn't think to get any pics as I was half asleep. Police, fire and emt's came out, the whole nine. No one was hurt or apparently nobody was in the car and supposedly the keys were laying in the seat. So tell me how could this car turn one direction then the other? They said it was a freak accident, but I have my doubt's. Not a big deal, the only damage was to the car and the tree that was already dead. The phone box was fixed when I got home today. But I just still feel like maybe their son was playing around and nobody saw him in the aftermath. :notsure: So manual Corolla's do lock the steering without the key right?

2. Sep 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Seems like the steering wheel lock is more an American car kinda thing.

When lifting vehicles at work, I never worry about if I need to leave a toyota in N or the key in the on position so that it can be shaken down properly...GM is another story and so are a good amount of Fords.

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    My wife has 2010 corolla. the steering locks on it. but its also a automatic.

4. Sep 1, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I think it would be worth a trip to the dealer to take a peek at a manual one.

:notsure:

5. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I'm willing to bet someone was in that car. Every car I have ever driven the steering wheel is locked when the key is not in the ignition. Manuals, autos, etc.. we have two newer Matrix's for work, and they're the same as corollas. Also, once the car hit the phone box, wouldn't it have stopped rolling?

6. Sep 1, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Well once it hit the phone box it had rolled back up hill slightly, although I can't see it having been enough to give it enough momentum to roll across the street and jump the curbing since the curbing in our sub-division is pretty steep. So much so that I hate it, the edge of my drive way is a pita. I have never seen a sub-division have such rough entry to the drive ways. It's so bad several of my neighbors have paved theirs over which I have considered doing but it is illegal because of the drainage.

7. Sep 1, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    ours locks only when the steering wheel is point straight ahead. 2006 model.

Products Discussed in

To Top