1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**Buying a Car without a Title Question**

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by alexmxman185, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    alexmxman185

alexmxman185 [OP] Keepin' it dirty in Texas

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Waco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 toyota tacoma 2.7 4 cly 5 lug
    Black grille guard with mounted kc road lights, 31x9.5x15 AT on stock rims. My future mod list: new white front bumper, Fat Bobs 2.75 spacer lift with rear AAL, american racing Flat Black Rims, 32x11.5x15 BFG A/T, satoshi grille with road lights mounted behind it, 8000k HID for all lights, 1'' Body Lift, new window tint, blacked out headlights and taillights, custom hood scoop, weather tech floor liners, LED dash cluster replacement, Front bilstein shocks, 40 series flowmaster, paint all my badges black.
    I am thinking about buying a 4runner that a buddy bought from the owner but never received the title. IF I buy the truck is there ANYWAY I can get it titled in my name without tracking down the owner?

I Live In Texas by the way just to be clear on state laws.

Please help :rolleyes:

2. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I don't know the specific Texas laws, but this seems like a huge hassle. I know in California it would be absolutely impossible to register it wthout a title, I'm sure it's not that much different there.

3. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    my guess would be that you'd have to track down and actually get the title, but idk ive never bought a car before sorry maybe he can send it to the dmv?

4. Oct 26, 2011 at 5:52 AM
    alexmxman185

alexmxman185 [OP] Keepin' it dirty in Texas

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Waco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 toyota tacoma 2.7 4 cly 5 lug
    Black grille guard with mounted kc road lights, 31x9.5x15 AT on stock rims. My future mod list: new white front bumper, Fat Bobs 2.75 spacer lift with rear AAL, american racing Flat Black Rims, 32x11.5x15 BFG A/T, satoshi grille with road lights mounted behind it, 8000k HID for all lights, 1'' Body Lift, new window tint, blacked out headlights and taillights, custom hood scoop, weather tech floor liners, LED dash cluster replacement, Front bilstein shocks, 40 series flowmaster, paint all my badges black.
  5. Oct 26, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Get the VIN and take it to the DMV. They can look up the VIN and tell you everything that was ever known about that vehicle.
    Depending on the state there are regulations about lost and/or abandoned titles.

Don't fork over cash until you've talked to the DMV or whatever that agency is called in your state.

6. Oct 26, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I've been down this path. It's typically not worth the hassle. Basically, you need a paper trail from whomever the vehicle is currently registered to. Now, I'm in California, and it may be a little different but here: you need:

1. signed statement of lost title from current registered owner
    2. bill of sale from current owner
    3. if any "transfer of ownership" paperwork is on file with DMV, you'll need bill of sale paper trail through each of those owners down to you.
    4. sales tax for each sale listed in 3
    5 any overdue registration fees + any late fees

If the vehicle tags have expired, you can expect to be pulled over regularly by the cops checking registration until the whole mess is completed.

You're in Texas. Go to the Texas DMV site and check their FAQ to get the exact specifics. It'll all be posted up there for you to read, but it'll be something roughly like this.

My read? Your "buddy" hasn't had any luck slaying the paperwork dragon and is ready to try and dump the whole mess in someone elses lap. Don't be the chump who takes it.

7. Oct 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    In virginia you also need a paper trail. But not as seriuos. We just send a certified letter to the titled owner and the bank (if there is a lein) let him know we have it, it is considered a abandoned vehicle, and we intend on keeping it and obtaining a title for it. Once that is done and you have waited the appropriate time (60 days?), you can file paperwork and get a title.
    Kind of a hassle, but if you can do th eleg work, and you can wait for the title you might get a kickass deal at the end.
    Oh yeah, it should be business with commercial property zoning and a tax id is required.
    I have run them through my mechanics shop or my warehouse in the past.

There are also people that specialize in the paperwork, typical fees are $300-500 assuming all goes well.

8. Dec 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    If you were in FL and the vehicle in question is over then years old, so long as it was not shown stolen on the database, you would just pay regular registration fees. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top