1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rav4, Highlander or 4Runner?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Hilborn, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Jan 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    Hilborn

Hilborn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    ADD W1 Oil Catch Can. Anderson Engineering Solutions Manifold Spacer. AVS Door Sill Protectors. BAMF Bolt-On Rock Sliders. BAMF CMC Plates. BedRug. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Bora 0.75" Spacers (Front). Brute Force HC Rear Bumper. C4 Engine Skid. C4 Transmission Skid. C4 Transfer Case Skid. C4 Fuel Tank Skid. C4 Rear Diff Skid. Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/70-17. Detroit Trutrac Rear Differential. Differential Breather Relocation. ECGS Bushing. Expedition Essentials Bedside ARB Air Compressor Mount. Garmin NUVI GPS. Genesis Gen 3 Dual Battery System w/ G Screen. HCF Delete. Husky Floor Liners. Hypertech In-Line Speedometer Calibrator (@1.038). IGGY Switch Panel. JBA UCA. Leer 100XQ. Magnaflow Muffler. Method Vex Titanium 17x8.5. Yukon 4.56 Gears. Odyssey Performance Group 34 Batteries (2). OME 886x Coil Springs. OME Carrier Bearing Spacers. OME CS047R Dakar Leaf Springs w/ D29XL. Pakrax Tailgate Panel. Pinch Weld Mod. Pop n' Lock. Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Pads. rcbs204 Illumited 4x4 Switch. Rexing V1 Dash Cam. Scanguage 2 w/ TFT. Stahlbus Oil Drain Plug. Stoptech Cryo-Treated Rotors. Sway Bar Delete. ToyTec Axle Degree Shims. URD 170° Thermostat. URD Exhaust Cam Gears. USA Spec IPod Interface. Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. Voltage Booster Pro. Wheeler's 3/8" Top Plate Spacer (Driver). Wheeler's Brake Lines. Wheeler's Front SuperBumps with 3/8" Spacers. Wheeler's U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ SuperBumps.
    Looking at buying a daily driver in the near future. I like my Tacoma so much I want to stay with Toyota. Looking at getting a small to medium sized SUV. My top 3 choices are the Rav4, Highlander and the 4Runner. My requirements are V6, AWD/4x4, and Auto. Not looking to do any offroading but I would like to be able to jump a curb here and there. What's your opinions?

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:07 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    They're all decent, depends on your budget and how much room you need. If you're getting the V6, you'll probably have more luck finding one in the Highlander or the 4Runner. The Rav4 is small and does pretty well with the 4 banger. The 4Runner is just as big as the Tacoma so unless you need something that big, I'd stick with the smaller ones.

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    ADD W1 Oil Catch Can. Anderson Engineering Solutions Manifold Spacer. AVS Door Sill Protectors. BAMF Bolt-On Rock Sliders. BAMF CMC Plates. BedRug. Bilstein 5100 Shocks. Bora 0.75" Spacers (Front). Brute Force HC Rear Bumper. C4 Engine Skid. C4 Transmission Skid. C4 Transfer Case Skid. C4 Fuel Tank Skid. C4 Rear Diff Skid. Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/70-17. Detroit Trutrac Rear Differential. Differential Breather Relocation. ECGS Bushing. Expedition Essentials Bedside ARB Air Compressor Mount. Garmin NUVI GPS. Genesis Gen 3 Dual Battery System w/ G Screen. HCF Delete. Husky Floor Liners. Hypertech In-Line Speedometer Calibrator (@1.038). IGGY Switch Panel. JBA UCA. Leer 100XQ. Magnaflow Muffler. Method Vex Titanium 17x8.5. Yukon 4.56 Gears. Odyssey Performance Group 34 Batteries (2). OME 886x Coil Springs. OME Carrier Bearing Spacers. OME CS047R Dakar Leaf Springs w/ D29XL. Pakrax Tailgate Panel. Pinch Weld Mod. Pop n' Lock. Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Brake Pads. rcbs204 Illumited 4x4 Switch. Rexing V1 Dash Cam. Scanguage 2 w/ TFT. Stahlbus Oil Drain Plug. Stoptech Cryo-Treated Rotors. Sway Bar Delete. ToyTec Axle Degree Shims. URD 170° Thermostat. URD Exhaust Cam Gears. USA Spec IPod Interface. Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator. Voltage Booster Pro. Wheeler's 3/8" Top Plate Spacer (Driver). Wheeler's Brake Lines. Wheeler's Front SuperBumps with 3/8" Spacers. Wheeler's U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ SuperBumps.
    I believe that the Rav4 with the 269hp V6 is currently Toyota's fastest vechile. My opinions were Rav4 Limited, Highlander SE and either SR5 or Sport for the 4Runner(09).

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What's your criteria for a daily driver if you're keeping the Tacoma? You won't gain any MPG's with any of those (maybe the Rav4) and the 4Runner is just as big as the Tacoma. Most people who have a Tacoma, their daily driver is either smaller or more fuel efficient but it sounds like yours will be more of a second vehicle :notsure: Any of those vehicles will jump a curb, it just comes down to size. They're all nice for what they are but they're 3 different classes of SUV, how big of a vehicle do you want? Kind of an apples and oranges comparison in my opinion vs. comparing say a 4Runner to an Explorer or a Pathfinder.

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    If I was getting one of those as a DD it would be a 4cyl Rav4 sport. Although my overall Toyota pick would be a 4cyl Camry SE.

6. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    The rav with a 6cyl is a rocket but your mpg will suffer over the capable 4cyl!

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    When my wifes 02 4Runner needs replacing, we are going with a 4 cyl. Rav 4. We have had them as rentals on vacation quite a few times and they seem to be real nice and economical. I've never driven one in snow, but it looks like you don't need to deal that in Texas. They are pretty pricey new, that's the drawback. We will probably look for a used one.

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    cevaes

cevaes TOYOTA

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    14 PreRunner SR5 DC V6
    the piece behind the steering wheel ;)
    HIGHLANDER!!!! i had one and i loved it!!, it was the sport and it was pretty fast, confortable and good looking ;)

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    4cyl RAV4 ... that's what I've got in mind when my wife is ready to replace her Escape.

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    We have owned a 07 4 runner & traded it on a 11 highlander, the 4 runner rode like a taco but the highlander drives more like a camry. Never driven a RAV4 but I know I miss my 4-runner when on a bumpy gravel road but I am glad I have the highlander on long trips its so comfortable to drive.

11. Jan 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    It's funny you should say that the Highlander drives like a Camry, It shares the frame of the Camry. Rav4 the Corolla (I believe).

12. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    Highlander=Avalon, Venza=Camry. As far as I know. I like the Highlander SE, personally. But the RAV4 is not bad either. I prefer it with the sport effects, or whatever, package... No spare on the rear. The 4Runner seems a bit large for a daily, especially if you already have a Tacoma for off-roading.

13. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    MyYota05

MyYota05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Prerunner w/ TRD Offroad Pkg.
    3'' Lift Kit, Bed Rug Liner, Black Rims
    I have test drove a Rav4 before and though it looked nice, it rode rough compared to the other Toyota SUV's due to the short wheel base, I would go with the 4Runner or the Highlander, just my opinion though good luck with your decision.

14. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    Hilborn

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Gas milage improvement over the Tacoma isn't a top priority. It would be nice. But most of my driving is in the city, having a DCLB some times becomes a pain in the ass when you have to park it in parking lot made more for something like a smart car. Being able to go over a curb is my way of saying, for some reason here, our roads are always under construction and having some thing that can easily get over a curb will help you get around a 2 hour delay.

15. Jan 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Based on that, Highlander or the Rav4. I wouldn't count out the 4-cylinder Rav4, they're pretty peppy. My girlfriend is currently looking for an AWD Rav4 and test drove a couple. I thought they rode pretty nice and had plenty of 'get up and go'. All the ones she test drove were 4 cylinders.

16. Jan 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    4 runner for medium-large interior, highest towing capability, highest offroad capability

(08+) highlander for biggest interior, comfiest ride,

Rav4 (v6) for smallest size, fastest and best handling by far, good gas mileage.

17. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    ag8889

ag8889 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lori
    Texas
    I know this thread is a bit older, but I'm wanting opinions/experience with 4Runner vs Highlander as a daily driver, given my "daily drive" includes at least 2 miles each-way of bumpy road (gravel, pot holes, etc ) from our house (live on a farm).
    Am shopping now to replace a totaled '10 Camry :(
    I know Highlander has a bit smoother ride, but wondering if 4Runner would be better suspension & durability on bumpy roads.
    Looking at staying in $15K- $20K range max, so probably '08/'09 at newest & under 100K miles.
    Have 4 kids (ages 7-19), so must have 3rd row.
    Looking for leather & all options I can get for the money.
    Put about 15K-20K miles a year on a vehicle, but will probably want to trade in about 3-4 years anyway.
    Need to count on a few years of hauling active kids, friends, sports gear, etc.
    Any comments? Thanks in advance!

18. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    This is going to be a "FIND" decision....What you FIND that fits price and options....a loaded up highlander will give you everything BUT the "curb jumping" abilities plus better MPG's while the 4-Runners speak for themselves it is based on a Truck idea....3rd row seat options should be looked at and tried as they do differ between them..

Good luck...

19. Mar 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    road in and drove all........4runner hands down is the only one i could drive everyday....i miss my 97

20. Mar 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If you are buying new you can score on the RAV4 since the new generation is out. There are still a fair amount available. If you want a V6 RAV4 then now is the time since it isn't offered in the new model. My wife's '08 V6 Limited is a rocket. She hates it when I drive because the throttle is touchy.

I am looking at a used '08 Highlander Hybrid Limited right now. I am still on the fence about a couple of issues but the MPG improvement would be a nice benefit.

Products Discussed in

To Top