1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CA DMV Registration help: Share you knowledge please

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by beedoola, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    So I've been tasked with trying to sell my father's 94' Chevy Dually 3500. It hasn't been registered (and thus drive) since 08'

Anyone know the ins and outs about what the potential new owner has to do in order to re-register it? I know since it's a 3500 dually the weight fees will be a lot but are there any penalties that the new owner would have to pay/would my father be responsible for any penalty fees?

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If it was not put on a non-op, then penalties and back registration will be due before the buyer can register.
    Dad should take the high road and take care of this... seller is responsible for smogging it anyways.
    Weight fee and registration is a given.
    Sales tax and VLF are based on the sale price. DMV clerk may or may not ask for a bill of sale, but if Dad fills in the sale amount on the back of the title, that's what they'll go by.... but those are all issues for the buyer.

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    Damn, well if that is the case then the truck isn't worth anything; after back registration fees are due, what he'd get for the truck wouldn't probably cover that cost.

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    you can go to the dmv site and see what you owe. you sell a car and say its buyers responsibility to handle any issues or fees. rich must be a cop or a dmv employee froa response like that (no offense rich). dont let those assholes at or from the dmv rip you off. when i sell a car i tell the buyer any issues or fees due. its on them if they want to pay. glws

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
  6. Feb 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    If that's really the case, the price of steel is supposed to be up right now. My boss goes to the salvage yard regularly, he says they are paying $1,000 bucks for any junk vehicle right now. A 3500 dually probably would be more.

7. Feb 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I hear ya... I bought a '95 Suburban for $2200 and dumped it a year later for $1100.
    Put over $3k into that POS in that year.
    Luckily the SUV doesn't have the weight fee and commercial tags so the renewal was cheap (but annual insurance doubled it's value).

8. Feb 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Nope... just a traffic signal electrician.
    But the OP was asking what the deal is... and if he doesn't take care of it, the buyer is going to be stuck with a turd sandwich.
    It's fine to come to an agreement with the buyer that he will cover the back registration and fees... but it's a shitty thing to do to sell it without disclosing that and about how much it will be.

The only way out would be to sell it to a buyer out of state (and I've heard that the DMV is still able to block the new registration until fees are paid) or to someone who will use it on a farm/ranch and won't need to tag it.

But definitely send in the "notice of sale" form... if the buyer can't/won't register it, it'll remain in Dad's name and if the buyer takes it out on the road and gets into an accident, they'll be coming for Dad.

9. Feb 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    thanks, I had tried this before but got this message:

"Unable to determine registration fees due. Current application in process."

indeed, I told this to one guy who was interested, in the interest of full disclosure. My dad is going down to the DMV tomorrow to get the info.

thanks for the info Rich, and everyone else.

Products Discussed in

To Top