1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

run flat tires

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by jtav2002, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 [OP] Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Anyone have any experience with run flat tires? Pros/cons? Grandmother is looking to pull the trigger soon on a new Rav4. She wants the V6 and she prefers magnetic gray and dark interior, and you need the Sport to get that. The V6 Sports all seem to be coming with a package that comes with run flat tires now and she's not too sure about them. On the Toyota website you can configure one without this package however NO ONE has them anywhere. And my local dealer and salesman I always deal with a long with another dealer both checked and they said they couldn't find any in stock in the dealer network nor will it let him put in a special order to Toyota for that configuration. Thoughts on the tires?

If she decides to not want the run flats the alternative would probably be a Pyrite Mica base V6 with ash interior, but she much prefers the magnetic gray/charcoal-ish combo. Plus I'm a little partial to magnetic gray myself.:D

2. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I hear that RFTs are hella expensive if you need to replace them and not a whole lot of places carry them.

3. Mar 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea I just priced a few out of curiosity in the size tire the Sport uses and at least looking at a set of 4 they seemed to be generally around $200 more than what a standard set would run.

4. Mar 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    They are very expensive, and will need to be special order, when it comes time to replace them, or if she get a flat and drives on the run flat tire. Regular tires with a AAA membership would be cheaper, if it offered in her area.

5. Mar 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea she's been a AAA member forever. She does travel out of state occasionally which would be my only concern. Her normal local driving wouldn't be as much of an issue. Thanks for the input guys.

6. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I heard that you can't just replace one if it goes bad, as others have said too expensive and I don't think you can run on them in the "flat" mode for long at all.

7. Mar 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Yup from a BMW product.

I've found all the "stories" about them are pretty much false. The only difference I've noted is a little more thump when I first start rolling when the car as been sitting for a while (which goes away pretty quick once moving). Additionally, if you do get a flat it is recommended that the tire not be repaired but, replaced. Just put ANOTHER set on the BMW (205/55r16) and priced about the same as none RSC tire. I had zero problems finding a set and they seem to perform as well as a none run flat.

All in all, for an older female, I like the concept. She would have the warning light of a low pressure and can continue on and replace the tire soon rather than risk stoping on the side of the road.

8. Apr 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    I would not want them on my own car but I like the concept for the wife and grandma car. In fact I'm thinking about putting them on the wife's Accord when the OEM tires wear out. I would also use a TPMS. I think you have to run TPMS with run flats otherwise you would just keep driving until the tire shreds

9. Apr 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    Way way way overpriced...

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    jtav2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    I never was able to sell her on them. She insisted on regular tires and a spare. She picked up her 2012 Rav4 today actually. I took it for a drive, it's actually pretty nice. Rides pretty good. It's Pyrite Mica and has the V6. Thing hauls some serious ass for what it is. I'd rock one if I had to. Not over the Taco though, naturally lol.

11. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    I was looking at them for the Accord and they were $30-40 more per tire. BFD

It's worth it to me so my wife doesn't get stuck on the side of a Los Angeles highway with traffic going by at 80mph.

Products Discussed in

To Top