1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WyoTech

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by awoit, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:27 PM
    awoit

awoit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    Hows everyone doin tonite, well guys i recently just graduated high school and currently finishing my first semester at my local community college. I'm starting to think that im not cut out for much more general ed and that i would really like to start doing what i want to do, with that said...

Ive been seeing WyoTech commercials for the past year and ive really become interested in starting this program.(for those who dont know) Basically its a company that trains people in the automotive/electrical business in a different range of specialties... Right now this is what i really want, ive always liked cars and would love to get more familiar with them. If you guys have any feedback on what you think is good/bad about this decision or if youve heard anything about what kind of place wyotech is (i know its not in a lot of different areas). I just felt like telling someone besides my parents and friends who think im just waisting my time dreaming about something else to put my time into..

2. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:38 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Right now the automotive business isnt what it used to be, Being said I wouldnt recommend going to an expensive school to learn how to wrench on cars, the best way to learn is hands on, I went to a community college for my "training" and got set up with a job at a dealer, working at the dealer hands on is where I learned what I know now, IMHO i think that the wyotech school is a waste of money, its hard to make money in the automotive business nowadays

3. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:40 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    If thats what you want to do go for it. Don't let your parents or friend discourage you. If Wyotech doesn't work out you can always go back to school. Im 27 and won't graduate untill I'm 28 because I took a few years after highschool to get things figured out, I was too burned out on school to keep going. But now I'm back at it an I have no regrets about being "late" to graduate. Just do what feels right to you.

4. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:51 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    WyoTech is not a bad program I know a few people that have worked there and work with a few that have graduated from there. Coming into a dealership from WyoTech you would probably start out on the lube rack till you showed your stuff and earned your wings and get put on a team. If working on cars is where you see yourself in five years you should look into Toyota’s Tten program it is a Toyota specific apprentice program it is leaps ahead of WyoTech. With the current economy there is only two car line’s to be working for right now Toyota or Honda.

http://www.toyota.com/about/tten/

5. Dec 16, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Toyota doesnt pay that good, all dealer techs get about the same amount of pay, Toyota is alot of hours but little pay per hour, I worked for Jeep, Not as many hours but more per hour than a toyota tech with the same amount of training. Toyota T-Ten program can be found at a local community college for cheap

6. Dec 17, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    It really depends on you. Best advice I can give is dream big and go for it. The car business is always up or down, goes in cycles along with the economy. Pick a good sound car line, or "type" you want to work on and train. I've recruited from UTI in the past out of the the PTAP program. Came back from Florida last month after doing interviews on behalf of my dealership.

Go to different dealers, talk to the techs, seek out the shop foreman, and get their feedback on their careers. I enjoy doing my job day in and day out. It's truly a dream come true for me.

I was once a pencil pusher out of the Navy making six figures but I was bored as hell, tired of the corporate rat race. Told my old boss screw this I'm outta here. I never looked back on my decision.

If you're serious about the technical auto field I encourage it. It's hard some days but it's rewarding. There have been numerous studies that show just how lacking we are going to be in several years in the auto/tech industry. A huge shortfall of technicians that are adequately trained to fix all the new cars and hybrid/DFI/DSG/PDK/ZF and thousand of other acronyms that come out every year on these machines. On any given quarter I gurantee you that I'm in school for three solid weeks learning. It never ends. :cool:

7. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:14 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I have two friends that went there and graduated and both have gone on to great things. One now washes windows and the other is a trailer tech for U-Haul :D . Honestly they are both morons so I can't judge the school on them. That being said our local community colleges have increadible auto programs. If Wyotech or UTI is what you want go for it, but just don't overlook the community colleges, they are sometimes overlooked and can give you a greater return for your investment.

8. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:22 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    You might have or not considered the military. Just a thought. Only there can you train and get handed the keys/controls to millions/billions of dollars worth of equipment.

Don't forget the kick azz guns -- :D:D

9. Dec 17, 2008 at 8:37 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    The owner of the shop that built my truck is a Wyotech graduate. There's nothing to say you couldn't take the education and completely run with it, getting into full-on fabrication work and custom builds.

http://carrollsrodandrace.com/gallery.htm

You're only limited by your own drive and determination.

10. Dec 17, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    A friend of mine went to WyoTech, according to him they promised a lot of stuff that didn't happen. He doesn't have a problem finding work tho. He does a lot of custom work on rat rods / customs, and he's created a pin striping business on the side for the completed work.

Products Discussed in

To Top